jason colby

Painting Lead Jigs

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

Is it needed to prime the jig before dipping in Vinyl Thanks for the answer's guys

They recommend priming with the vinyl white, which I indeed do.  I could see the colors running off the lead without the base coat  

I only used 7 colors of vinyl paints, white, black, yellow chartreuse, green chartreuse, red, pearl, & yellow. I dipped everything over white except the black. I didn't paint many all red jigs, so it was used primarily for highlights (mouth color on Hot Lips/Smiling Bill type jigs) or two tone combinations. A white base coat gives you a better looking jig with the brighter colors. 

So this is where I'm at so far: I did the primer and then I dipped them in the white epoxy. I cut a pattern to mimic mackerel stripes and did the 10 jigs I have with green spray paint.

Will finish with some black paint for eyes....

almostfinishedjig.JPG

Looking good,  you may want to consider adding prismatic eyes like fly tyers use.  Clear epoxy after you put them on and life is good!

Mark

12 hours ago, MrHkr said:

Looking good,  you may want to consider adding prismatic eyes like fly tyers use.  Clear epoxy after you put them on and life is good!

Mark

Of course you are right! That would be a lot nicer so I'll do that with 1/2 the rest of the material and the black paint with the other 1/2. . I stuck a sharpie in the eye of this one to show what my "over the weekend unprofessional product" would look like in the end. 

I'm wondering though, does anyone really think the fish "care" if the jig has holographic eyes or black paint for eyes? 

feb3jig1.JPG

55 mins ago, jason colby said:

Of course you are right! That would be a lot nicer so I'll do that with 1/2 the rest of the material and the black paint with the other 1/2. . I stuck a sharpie in the eye of this one to show what my "over the weekend unprofessional product" would look like in the end. 

I'm wondering though, does anyone really think the fish "care" if the jig has holographic eyes or black paint for eyes? 

feb3jig1.JPG

I add eyes to most jigs that I make. Some painted, some with flat stick-on's, and some with 3D. I've caught plenty of fish on those without them however.

As far as the eye type, probably doesn't make any difference, but I do like having the contrast. I tie some of my Clouser Minnow flies with black barbells instead of those that take the stick on eyes, because I like how the "black dot" looks, and again because it adds some contrast without adding extra flash. Flash can be good, but sometimes not with flies.

On the type of jigs that your making, I also add the dressed hook. That adds movement and gives them a longer profile.

If nothing else, these little details add to our confidence in using the lures, and I believe we fish them differently, with more concentration and attention, than we might otherwise. In other words, it don't hurt! :D

Jason one thing that I have proven is that at least if you have some red on the jig somewhere that it will produce more then when you do not. Since you will be attaching a single bucktail with red thread you should be good to go.

However saying the above I would add some red to the eyes or the stick on prisms in your case Another step with another cost, 

3 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Jason one thing that I have proven is that at least if you have some red on the jig somewhere that it will produce more then when you do not. Since you will be attaching a single bucktail with red thread you should be good to go.

However saying the above I would add some red to the eyes or the stick on prisms in your case Another step with another cost, 

I'm on it!

(stand by)

36 mins ago, MrHkr said:

Definately look better, I think the fish will agree!

Mark 

I was going to do some with the holographic eye on one side and the black paint on the other. Then I would ask each fish, as they came up: Which eye "did it for them"....