jason colby

Painting Lead Jigs

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

8 mins ago, jason colby said:

Thank you all for the ideas! 

I see that no matter what I do I need to start with the wire brush/acetone treatment for steps one and two. From there I'll try a couple with a (white?) powder coat base and then I guess I can finish off with an acrylic to make a colored pattern and eyes. 

Anyone have thoughts on finishing all that with a coat of clear epoxy?

How durable is that compared to "Hard as Nails"?

I've never powder painted a used jig, always just right after pouring them. Never done any other coating, if they get really bad I'll touch them up with nail polish. Never found the fish to care very much if a little paint gets knocked off.

If I was going to powder coat that I wouldn't clean it, looks pretty clean to me, especially if you have a bunch of them to do. And if that jig has some length to it it may be kind of awkward dipping in to powder paint, you might need a fluid bed to get the coat even. Flashy sticker, some eyes and a clear coat is what I would do if i didn't have a fluid bed.

Posted (edited) · Report post

NateD, has mentioned a good point about using powder. I have a 4" diameter fluid bed, which will hold about a half pound of powder. I can coat most things that I pour with one dip. You're not going to be able to do that in those small jars of powder, there's simply not enough depth, and depending on the length of the jig, even dipping each end may not coat the entire jig.

For the price you pay for those jars, you can buy a half pound of powder, put it in a large can, and keep it stirred and still not have as much money invested, depending on the colors you want to use. I buy a good bit of powder from a place called "Powder By The Pound" in TN. They have many colors, and it's the same powder types sold for fishing lures, but in bulk form. There are other powder suppliers around also. A half pound of powder will coat a lot of jigs. 

For the question about epoxy coating, I had mentioned previously that I do it, but I also have motorized turning apparatus to keep it from dripping. I use Devcon 30 minute epoxy the most, which does a good job. If you go that route, and don't have a means to turn them, you can do it by hand, but it's going to take plenty of your time. Best way would be attach wire hooks, & paper clips or other heavy wire works,  to each end and hang them, then keep switching ends as you watch the epoxy for runs. Once it's set, then you're good. You can add stick-on type eyes too with the epoxy if you want. 

This is a jig that I was playing with, made from an old inline sinker mold. It's not the best looking jig, and when I was attempting to paint it, was too long, so I had to dip each end. I also wanted to see how a two color scheme would work. A little tape over the eyes keeps powder out, but for eyes that large, even if you paint them, it shouldn't be any problem.   

100_6344.JPG

Edited by Jim H

I (finally) gave them the P320 rub and acetone wash today. Will give a coat of Rustolem Clear Epoxy tomorrow and then finish with spray paint. 

Should be photo ready by Monday.

Just now, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Those look great

Did you hear cure them?

Thanks R.R. I didn’t heat cure them. Just dip in white and swipe away the drip after they are hung up. Let them dry for a few days then dip in the color you want, let them dry a few days and dip them in the clear coat and hang em up again. 

C08C1FBD-7662-44FE-AA28-6305052980F3.jpeg

AD86584E-A30A-4140-ACA9-A97C0A13DCF0.jpeg

7 hours ago, harley48 said:

Thanks brother! Real easy to do, just dip them in and hang to dry. 

harley do they make this paint in the iridescent colors, Yellow, green, pink ? Where do you purchase it? Thanks 

4 hours ago, harley48 said:

Thanks R.R. I didn’t heat cure them. Just dip in white and swipe away the drip after they are hung up. Let them dry for a few days then dip in the color you want, let them dry a few days and dip them in the clear coat and hang em up again. 

C08C1FBD-7662-44FE-AA28-6305052980F3.jpeg

AD86584E-A30A-4140-ACA9-A97C0A13DCF0.jpeg

Nice work area too!

I'm guessing you buy already poured jig heads, then you tie hair on them and paint. You've been doing that for several seasons and you have the production line down to a science... 

7 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

harley do they make this paint in the iridescent colors, Yellow, green, pink ? Where do you purchase it? Thanks 

Component Systems sells various paints for jigs, including the vinyl. They have 24 colors, plus another 6 glow colors. Some of the colors can be mixed too. 

The most popular sellers for lure components all sell the vinyl paints. Lurepartsonline, Barlow's Tackle, Ziener's Bass Shop, Do It Molds, Jann's Netcraft, Bass Pro & Cabela's, plus others all sell it. I used to buy it from a tackle shop when I lived in MD, so possibly a tackle shop near you may have it. 

2 mins ago, jason colby said:

Nice work area too!

I'm guessing you buy already poured jig heads, then you tie hair on them and paint. You've been doing that for several seasons and you have the production line down to a science... 

Thats actually my office on the ship, its ripped apart to fix some steel lol I paint and clear them before I put the hair on, its easier to dip them that way.