Finster

Brandywine Creek Shad restoration

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

It is interesting to me how far up the shad actually go now. It makes me wonder why Kauffman does know this. I cant wait until the shad have more water to spawn in. It's great news for sure. When removing dams or doing anything to alter flow considerations about disturbing sediment which might contain harmful contaminates must be considered.

Edited by stickmd
added content re sediment

So it would be neat except that they are already saying that a bunch of dams must remain.  So fish ladders????  Meh - don't see them working to get a real shad run.

Look at the Lehigh river.  They have a fish ladder and it is essentially worthless in getting a shad run to go up that river.

Look at the Schuylkill River.  Same thing - not working and you have all the shad in the world in the Delaware.

Look at the huge $ spent on shad restoration on the Susq. river.   Not working.

1 hour ago, Skeeterbait said:

So it would be neat except that they are already saying that a bunch of dams must remain.  So fish ladders????  Meh - don't see them working to get a real shad run.

Look at the Lehigh river.  They have a fish ladder and it is essentially worthless in getting a shad run to go up that river.

Look at the Schuylkill River.  Same thing - not working and you have all the shad in the world in the Delaware.

Look at the huge $ spent on shad restoration on the Susq. river.   Not working.

Can't say I know much about the Schuylkill situation, but the Conowingo Dam is a way different animal than the little dams we're talking about on the Brandywine...

Do any type of fish ladders work?

Is it species dependent? 

In other words do ladders used to help salmon work while those put in to help shad not work?

Or are fish ladders only expensive feel good projects that might let a very few fish through to migrate and spawn but never restore a "run" let alone a fishery.

When you are talking multiple dams the problem gets even worse.

Say 10% of the fish make it across a dam and 90% stay behind.  And say the second dam also lets 10% pass.  You get 10% x 10% or only 1% of the fish into the upper watershed.  Make that 4 dams and you are down to 1% of 1% or  one-hundredth of a percent.

I say take out the dams if they serve no current human purpose or benefit.  Even the historical ones.  The sign for the tourists should say we removed a historical problem to return the waterway and the habitat to its historical setting.  I am not suggesting we take out every large hydro dam - only the ones that used to serve some grist mill that is not in operation today.

1 hour ago, Skeeterbait said:

I say take out the dams if they serve no current human purpose or benefit.  Even the historical ones.  The sign for the tourists should say we removed a historical problem to return the waterway and the habitat to its historical setting.  I am not suggesting we take out every large hydro dam - only the ones that used to serve some grist mill that is not in operation today.

100% with you on this one.  Unfortunately I imagine that would be a huge fight against the rich and powerful.

But if it washed out in some flood - just try to get a permit to build it back again........

That happened on the upper Schuylkill above Reading Pa.  

A dam was there that gave a small spot for water skiing etc.    Washed out and never rebuilt.  They want to breach other dams too - Like the one near Hamburg Pa. but I do not see it helping anything until they get the one at the Art Museum in Philadelphia taken out.  And with the rowing on the river (think the lighted up boat house row) that will never happen.  And that fish ladder at that dam does nothing for the Shad.

Lots of challenges but the fact that people are talking about it is good. Ecological engineers should be able to design a fish ladder that would work, for those dams that have to stay. Or the Shad Association should be able to recruit volunteers to net and transport the shad up stream. I suspect theres a monthlong window when the migration would be expected. If I still lived there I’d put my waders on and get out there and do it. One person from the state to manage the volunteers. The estimates of millions to remove a dam always baffles me. A little C4 and a blasting cap and away we go. 

On 1/23/2020 at 5:10 PM, Skeeterbait said:

But if it washed out in some flood - just try to get a permit to build it back again........

That happened on the upper Schuylkill above Reading Pa.  

A dam was there that gave a small spot for water skiing etc.    Washed out and never rebuilt.  They want to breach other dams too - Like the one near Hamburg Pa. but I do not see it helping anything until they get the one at the Art Museum in Philadelphia taken out.  And with the rowing on the river (think the lighted up boat house row) that will never happen.  And that fish ladder at that dam does nothing for the Shad.

Too much money supporting boathouse row and rowers and it is the best place for skulls on the east coast.

On 1/23/2020 at 5:37 PM, Good2Go said:

Lots of challenges but the fact that people are talking about it is good. Ecological engineers should be able to design a fish ladder that would work, for those dams that have to stay. Or the Shad Association should be able to recruit volunteers to net and transport the shad up stream. I suspect theres a monthlong window when the migration would be expected. If I still lived there I’d put my waders on and get out there and do it. One person from the state to manage the volunteers. The estimates of millions to remove a dam always baffles me. A little C4 and a blasting cap and away we go. 

Lots of ex EODers who would love to do the job gratis???

50 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Thanks for posting. Sounds good so far. Brandywine creek, and its surrounding valley, has been a recreational staple for my entire lifetime. Always happy to hear of anything that helps improve it to it's natural state...