ASrod

Manley Pliers?

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

I’m looking for a mid ranged plier to use until late spring/early summer when I can afford to upgrade. How are the Manley 6.5” for surf fishing applications? I don’t mind spraying them down after every trip and oiling them as long as they don’t fail.

1 min ago, hobobob said:

Crush the barbs. Done.  No pliers needed.

Still don’t want to get a piercing. If that happens I’m sort of screwed.

4 mins ago, ASrod said:

Still don’t want to get a piercing. If that happens I’m sort of screwed.

No you are not.  My plier rarely came out.  Maybe 1-2 time per outing.  Crush the barb plus fish gripper, you are good 99 out of 100 hookups. Even most of the deep hooks just came out on its own. You only need pliers when the hook weird, like 2 hooks together.

20 mins ago, hobobob said:

No you are not.  My plier rarely came out.  Maybe 1-2 time per outing.  Crush the barb plus fish gripper, you are good 99 out of 100 hookups. Even most of the deep hooks just came out on its own. You only need pliers when the hook weird, like 2 hooks together.

Yeah but you still need to have pliers on you, barbs or no barbs. It would be just foolish to go into the surf without them.

3 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

Yeah but you still need to have pliers on you, barbs or no barbs. It would be just foolish to go into the surf without them.

Yes, but without the barb in the way, no torque is needed, the toughness requirement go way way down. 

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

Yes, but without the barb in the way, no torque is needed, the toughness requirement go way way down. 

Right but there are other factors to consider. Namely your dealing with a salt environment which will quickly wear down gear. Everyone's different but I for one like to have confidence in my gear. I'm not saying you need top of the line titanium pliers but it's worth carrying gear that won't easily fail, whether you think you'll need it or not.

Unless you think you are going to need to cut a hook shaft, a pair of $3 needle nose from the counter of Harbor Freight will do all that needs doing.  And when you lose them, you won't care.

I have a pair of Manley pliers... they aren't particularly impressive.

(PS. In most cases, if you hook yourself, pushing the hook through the skin to expose the barb and cut it is not really the best way to go.)

2 hours ago, ASrod said:

I’m looking for a mid ranged plier to use until late spring/early summer when I can afford to upgrade. How are the Manley 6.5” for surf fishing applications? I don’t mind spraying them down after every trip and oiling them as long as they don’t fail.

I just retired a pair of manleys this year that are over 15 years old with plenty of night wetsuiting with them . I wd40 the return spring occasionally and buff off the surface rust with a wire brush . I use a two plier van Staal sheath , manleys on the inside and stainless needle nose on the outside . I normally only use the needlenose for releasing fish . You really only need the cheap ones as long as they are stainless and they will last . I tried the sportsmans and the hook cutter broke on cutting the first hook . Not all they were hyped up to be in my opinion. The old school manleys will cut hooks for years , different cutter position than the sportsmans , the old model has a lot more leverage , and stronger though only rust resistant steel .

5 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

I grab a bunch of cheap azz HF pliers. No big deal when a shark eats a pair.

Screenshot_20200119-221106_Photos.jpg

I like the needle nose also , vs pliers could never get the torque that cheap stainless needle nose can .

Manley pliers were great pliers when I used them, A shot of WD-40 will keep them working for years even if submerged on a regular basis. They cut hooks with ease up to 5/0 treble or 7/0 siwash.