Local24 SSP

Los Buzos, Panama

59 posts in this topic

A trip I’ve been looking forward to for the last 6 months has come and gone. Looking forward to returning in the near future. Panamá is place like no where else. Truly the Mecca of kayak fishing. I’ve been kayak fishing pretty seriously for close to a decade, this place humbled me in more ways then I can currently think of. Food was top notch, drinks are free and the guides were great. 
If you can take the trip, do it. Worth every penny. 

11B55A36-8F05-4677-BF13-FDA5D7A64AA2.jpeg

241D5D44-EF8C-4902-BD3B-BA59510AEA20.jpeg

3E10C906-CE7C-4E84-A098-E96F5CEF8A42.jpeg

EDBBAD9E-717C-4FBF-9CB0-2990E7FF76DD.jpeg

9753EE94-B21F-41BF-A169-F6E9FDC8D62B.jpeg

IMG_0268.MOV

D3FBE4E6-39D2-4450-BB7F-A1010EC2D048.jpeg

A00B74BE-40EE-4896-8724-C056ED0ABC8C.jpeg

09047F3C-D5B9-43E8-AB1C-19D0F881ED46.jpeg

944CE8A4-043C-41E3-A4B6-1ED750B03BAC.jpeg

A00D5CDB-74C3-4C8D-9181-72F74C362CBD.jpeg

D03B07B8-0E25-4B09-B4AB-26CACA20F9CC.jpeg

DF48BED9-4FD5-4EAA-B644-EF43186FAC74.jpeg

IMG_0297.MOV

Sick!  How much all in?  Do you feel this is a destination for the DIY'er?  What sbout logistics?  Renting Hobie, housing, transport?   Thanks! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

All in with airfare was about $2700. Los Buzos alone was $1900 or so. Everything is include in that $2700 besides your transportation to and from the airport. Los Buzos sends a bus to pick up all the anglers and drop them back off in Panama City. It is all inclusive for $1900. Gear, kayak, lodging, food and beer is included. I brought my own plugs and radio to save a little money. They offer mothership trips for $150 per day but the best fishing is a 1 mile paddle right from the lodge. DIY’er or all out gear head really doesn’t matter. They take care of everything. 

Each hobie comes with a Garmin striker, gaff, life jacket, gay flag, and crate. All star rods with accurate reels, Daiwa BGs and I believe I saw a few penn spinfishers.

At the lodge it’s all bunk style housing with 2 and 6 bunk rooms. They offer houses to rent there as well if your not into bunks and shared bathrooms.

Let me know if that answers your questions. 

Edited by Local24 SSP

Awesome report. How many actual days of fishing, I recall it's a day of travel each way just from Panama City, so like 4 days of travel or do they drive those crappy roads at night (was in Panama last winter)  Why do you say it was humbling?

I have a fantasy that I'll do this, or one of the similar places, with my son the winter after he graduates college in 2021.

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Awesome report. How many actual days of fishing, I recall it's a day of travel each way just from Panama City, so like 4 days of travel or do they drive those crappy roads at night (was in Panama last winter)  Why do you say it was humbling?

I have a fantasy that I'll do this, or one of the similar places, with my son the winter after he graduates college in 2021.

Being a little stubborn when it came to technique. Paddling at least 8 miles a day in 90+ degree heat. Getting my ass kicked by that jack Perhaps humbling wasn’t the correct word. 

FCBF826E-2A17-458C-9CD7-BDD4D1989AE8.jpeg

6 mins ago, gellfex said:

It’s a 7 hour bus ride from Panama City. You drive in on a Saturday, fish Sunday-Thursday then drive back to Panama City Friday morning. They pick you up Saturday morning at 9am and same time Friday for the return ride, so no night driving. Roads really weren’t crappy, only the drivers. There was another place further “off the grid”. Don’t know much about it. I know the owner of that place was soliciting guests that I was with while we were on the water (we fished the same spot as their group).

Los Buzos has AC in each room, wifi and electric. As well as a tackle shop, a few local restaurants, a bar and a masseuse well within walking distance. 

32 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

All in with airfare was about $2700. Los Buzos alone was $1900 or so. Everything is include in that $2700 besides your transportation to and from the airport. Los Buzos sends a bus to pick up all the anglers and drop them back off in Panama City. It is all inclusive for $1900. Gear, kayak, lodging, food and beer is included. I brought my own plugs and radio to save a little money. They offer mothership trips for $150 per day but the best fishing is a 1 mile paddle right from the lodge. DIY’er or all out gear head really doesn’t matter. They take care of everything. 

Each hobie comes with a Garmin striker, gaff, life jacket, gay flag, and crate. All star rods with accurate reels, Daiwa BGs and I believe I saw a few penn spinfishers.

At the lodge it’s all bunk style housing with 2 and 6 bunk rooms. They offer houses to rent there as well if your not into bunks and shared bathrooms.

Let me know if that answers your questions. 

Thank you!  That's a great value! 

Trip of a lifetime for me too. I walked on that same black volcanic sand in picture 3. With luggage and our  gear we waded out to that boat for an hour trip north to the Panama kayak adventures camp.

F8A31816-ADCE-4AC7-9365-CCC6B374DC18.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, Local24 SSP said:

Being a little stubborn when it came to technique. Paddling at least 8 miles a day in 90+ degree heat. Getting my ass kicked by that jack Perhaps humbling wasn’t the correct word. 

We've all been stubborn asses on the water! Or, at least, I have.  Perhaps when you get time to process, you could give us some more detail about that, and how to get the most out of this kind of trip that we wouldn't necessarily see on Youtube. At least tell us more about the battle with that huge fish, what exactly was it?

Edited by gellfex

A few more pics from the Pacific in  Panama. The fishing was mostly speed jigging, poppers or live bait. 

387B441B-3816-441E-9C78-0865C5774F2F.png

6C34D4BF-D518-45F7-8B06-88ACEE29DF61.png

324D596A-C186-40A0-9DCE-BFEE5F1699A5.png

A5E55030-1797-433F-8AF5-E1ECDFB650CE.png

5BE6E9B7-E438-457F-ACCB-D546795A5B53.png

37334B85-9201-4E52-9C40-736ADF4801D0.png

32EA72FE-65BB-4ACD-AF26-F82B02F236E7.png

AC49092F-CF41-4D33-9FB1-C4F0AD264044.png

60F85F5D-2813-41A4-801C-BC81032A10F7.png

FC11F4FB-674E-463B-A923-6408846845E5.jpeg

32107B12-658A-47E9-BAFB-39765A620D51.jpeg

Enjoy the wall of words....

I have a bunch of footage I’ll be putting on YouTube once it’s edited down. I’ll post it here if the mods allow it.
Two Cubera’s were caught while I was there, both well over 36”. Not sure on exact weight as Los Buzos releases all cuberas and roosters unless they don’t swim off on their own. I missed at least 2 cuberas on live bait (they leave giant fang marks on the bait) and one other that grabbed a popper peeled 5ft of line snapped off then spit up my popper back to the surface. 
At least two pangas went out with us everyday, one of the days there was 4 pangas. There were only 12 of us anglers. There were 4 guides with us every day including Robert Field. One panga would run and catch as much live bait as they could (about 3 miles away from a couple of the spots we fished) put them in a live well, drive back, then go from kayak to kayak rigging your live bait for you. 

I went 2 for 9 on live baits ( which basically gets all the bigger fish). The jack pictured is an Almaco jack and it took a live moon fish. It weighed just shy of 60lbs 4 hours after it was caught and bled. I lost about a 6ft wahoo when I had it boat side begging for a gaff, but I tried to leader it like an amateur (I blame adrenaline and pure stoke). 

As far as being stubborn, IMO most fisherman think they know it all. Or at least have the gist of it all (I am guilty of this). They explained day one to let the fish run with the bait for at least 20 seconds before tightening the drag and reeling to set the hook. By the 10-15th second ya start to get antsy to get tight on that fish (at least in my experience down there). 
That jack fought similar to a large tuna, huge runs and stayed tight to the bottom. At first myself and the guides assumed cubera because it was staying so deep. They explained in the beginning of the week that if we think it’s a cubera heading for the bottom then lock the drag and thumb the spool to turn his head or snap the line. So that’s what I did with this jack. As soon as it came tight it dove to the bottom. I locked up and thumbed the spool and the fish kept peeling line like it was in free spool. About 15 minutes and a bunch of big runs later and it had a spear through its gill. 

2 mins ago, buddha162 said:

Good lord!

Were you vertical jigging? Did you guys target cubera or is it not the season? 

8 mins ago, gellfex said:

We've all been stubborn asses on the water! Or, at least, I have.  Perhaps when you get time to process, you could give us some more detail about that, and how to get the most out of this kind of trip that we wouldn't necessarily see on Youtube. At least tell us more about the battle with that huge fish, what exactly was it?