foxfai

Chimney cover blew loose

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

49 mins ago, giant basshole said:

I would take saltfishermans advice on the harness . After getting that part squared away I would at least take up a pencil , paper and a stick rule (if you need to measure the flue pipe) . Another must bring would be vise grips . If it's a bolt on it may only require one trip with vise grips .

Agree with the vice grips. If something just loosened up, no matter what style they should tighten it.

Google new covers or go to one of the box stores and look at covers to see if you can find installation instructions. That should give you a better idea on what is needed tool wise. Still sounds like two trips up and down the ladder to me.

Call a mason.  Your chimney really needs to be repointed.  He can fix the cover properly while he is up there.  

Repointing it isn't a job for a homeowner afraid of heights.

4 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

Call a mason.  Your chimney really needs to be repointed.  He can fix the cover properly while he is up there.  

x2

Each man to his own job. 

Better for you to get an A in handwriting the check on this one.

Posted (edited) · Report post

BFDA2224-780B-46FD-AFF7-1391C3BEDA4F.jpeg.6139ebeb52c8ccc3f5f311c4b64a35ac.jpegHave your extension ladder rest on the chimney about 2' below the cap. Tie the lanyard rope to the knee high rung , have someone butt the ladder when you climb , In you pocket ( both hands free ) most caps have a band or insert screwdriver type of adjustment so have both or  hex nut adjustable wrench you will need . some go around it or some go inside  It looks like it just came loose from the tile  ,  

Edited by Hook I

3 hours ago, Hook I said:

BFDA2224-780B-46FD-AFF7-1391C3BEDA4F.jpeg.6139ebeb52c8ccc3f5f311c4b64a35ac.jpegHave your extension ladder rest on the chimney about 2' below the cap. Tie the lanyard rope to the knee high rung , have someone butt the ladder when you climb , In you pocket ( both hands free ) most caps have a band or insert screwdriver type of adjustment so have both or  hex nut adjustable wrench you will need . some go around it or some go inside  It looks like it just came loose from the tile  ,  

Big difference in your chimney condition wise  and Fox s .  

I wouldn't lean a ladder against his.   Maybe it is older age setting in but I am much more cautious now after falling on my head, the sudden stop hurts .

29 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Big difference in your chimney condition wise  and Fox s .  

I wouldn't lean a ladder against his.   Maybe it is older age setting in but I am much more cautious now after falling on my head, the sudden stop hurts .

His chimney is fine  

I may be hard pressed to find one now, but around here there used to be lotsa summer homes with crab traps wired on top of flues. Keep the raccoons out. 

If I see another I'll take a picture.

5 hours ago, Hook I said:

His is a center chimney so he cant put the ladder up to it.

15 mins ago, Shake-n-Bake said:

His is a center chimney so he cant put the ladder up to it.

to me that ridge is not centered ,  it looks like the chimney is on the other side , but he is somewhat concerned about heights & if he's in the NE area there might be ice or snow . Every Man has to have his limits , understand that , I'm comfortable on roofs  I've seen plenty of ladders move when homeowners put the ladder against the rain gutter underload it moves quickly 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 1/19/2020 at 4:18 PM, foxfai said:

So my mom told me this morning she saw the cover blew loose. Came out and saw this. 

Neighbor has a ladder and a harness that I can borrow tomorrow so I can climb up to fix it. What should I be expecting to be needed up there? Height is not my thing but I think I can get it done. Just don't want to climb my ass up and down 10 times because I forgot something..... 

IMG_1475.JPG

take cordles drill,sheetmetal screw's and wire and plyers.

push that in corect spot,put few screws in and wire that  around screws and mesh,put the screws in sheetmatal not in brick,

the cover is there to stop birds going to chimney,not for water protection,you will not get any water demige thtue chimney.

i would worie only if it come down on car window,no other damige.

if you can not push that in right place,put wire arond base chimny and wire the cap to that,that way it will not come down on car and you can fix that in spring.

Edited by snag777

3 hours ago, snag777 said:

take cordles drill,sheetmetal screw's and wire and plyers.

push that in corect spot,put few screws in and wire that  around screws and mesh,put the screws in sheetmatal not in brick,

the cover is there to stop birds going to chimney,not for water protection,you will not get any water demige thtue chimney.

i would worie only if it come down on car window,no other damige.

if you can not push that in right place,put wire arond base chimny and wire the cap to that,that way it will not come down on car and you can fix that in spring.

Ah, its to protect critters from going in. Got it. I didn't have time to go up today. Perhaps tomorrow. But thanks for the tip.

Well it does give some water protection too.  Just not from driving rain.  But yeah you do not want critters in there.  Other debris is also a problem.

I recently had to do the same repair.  I suggest you go to a big blue or orange store and buy a cap and bring that up with you.  If you do not need it since you can repair what is up there - simply return it.  The other comments are correct.  A sturdy screw driver and a wrench in your back pocket.  And a flash light to see what may or may not be down in that flue already.  I once had large sticks that somehow got down mine.  

When was the last time it was cleaned?  And is this for a fire place or a wood stove or some other thing like a furnace.  If a wood stove I would really suggest getting it cleaned or doing that at the same time.  A chimney fire is no joke dangerous.

On 1/20/2020 at 4:03 AM, DMacLeod said:

Oh lovely with more issues. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Haven't found my neighbor to grab the ladder yet.... maybe I'll call someone to look at it.