foxfai

Chimney cover blew loose

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

So my mom told me this morning she saw the cover blew loose. Came out and saw this. 

Neighbor has a ladder and a harness that I can borrow tomorrow so I can climb up to fix it. What should I be expecting to be needed up there? Height is not my thing but I think I can get it done. Just don't want to climb my ass up and down 10 times because I forgot something..... 

IMG_1475.JPG

There is no way around it, you’ll have to eyeball it closer to see if it just needs reattached or replacing. Going to be couple trips regardless. 

Climb once and get a good look, then make a plan. 

Can't tell ya anything until ya do that. Ya might can re-secure that one. Or maybe easier to buy a new one and install better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is it screw in type or like cement in? How bad would it be if I can't get it fix before next storm?

Edited by foxfai

59 mins ago, saltfisherman said:

There is no way around it, you’ll have to eyeball it closer to see if it just needs reattached or replacing. Going to be couple trips regardless. 

some chimney repair guys use drones to inspect chimneys before doing repairs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, foxfai said:

Is it screw in type or like cement in? How bad would it be if I can't get it fix before next storm?

Edited by Ben Lippen

5 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Srsly,.. How they hell can I know from that picture?

Climb the damned ladder and take a look.

Sorry, I thought there might only be a one of a few type to hold these in. I will find out when I get the ladder.

With the harness idea. Use caution with it. That roof looks to have a deep pitch to it.  I use to install attic fans on steep pitched roofs. I’d use a ladder to a valley and walk up it, toss the rope over the other side. Climb back down and tie it off front and back of the roof line. I’d use a tree as an anchor. Full body harness and ascender. Use a nonstretch rope of significant tensile strength. 

Looks like you don’t have a valley. You can use a smaller ball, baseball, with the smaller tie line tied to it. Get up on the gutter line and toss that ball over the top. Pull the main line up and over using the smaller line as the pull string. 

1 hour ago, Ben Lippen said:

I apologize man. That was out of line.

Please. No need to. I'll find out before asking more questions.

I would take saltfishermans advice on the harness . After getting that part squared away I would at least take up a pencil , paper and a stick rule (if you need to measure the flue pipe) . Another must bring would be vise grips . If it's a bolt on it may only require one trip with vise grips .

I'm not super-comfortable on steep pitches at this point in my life, but even with a harness, I'd avoid a snow covered roof unless you're real confident in your abilities.  My son's buddy slipped on a tiny bit of hidden ice taking down holiday lights last year-  pitch wasn't steep but he still fell off a second story and felt lucky enough to limp away with a few broken ribs, a punctured lung and a few other injuries.  Just missed cracking his head on the driveway.  Reminded me of being cautious on a roof.

An acquaintance that installs solar panels tosses the rope over the peak and then anchors it to the bumper of his truck. Also has these special roofer shoes I didn't' even know exist-  soft sticky rubber soles kind of like rock climber shoe soles.  Said they made a huge difference over the shoes he had been using.    

The recommendation of using a drone is pretty clever.  Not my personal thing but they are real common - perhaps a neighbor or their kid has one?  

Good luck and be safe

A Chimney guy here. The outer cap is the type that bolts to the flue tile extension.  Each corner has a bolt that you tighten down so it bites into the tile.

Under that looks like a liner cap that is missing the lid.  My guess is that the liner cap failed so someone replaced it.  It was not installed properly and has come loose.  Looks like someone tried to wire it to the old cap.  Replace it with a stainless cap that you lag into the bricks.

The harness wont do you any good if you cant get your anchor point up near the peak. 

If you hire a legit company, a new cap will run you $300-400 installed.