Plugger207

Vr50 to bailess question/comments

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

So I’m converting my 50 to bailess...pretty straight forward....except a couple things....The video Craig put up is misleading in two ways, it’s a number 8 torque wrench on mine and I assume all....and how the hell does the line roller just slide off....not happening for me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...I’m held up on that

2 mins ago, shivsean said:

I found it, strangely on the VS website... lol. I will tell you how my line roller come off, if at all.

Thank you.  I can’t get mine off.....I emailed Craig who responded quickly.  Said with even pressure on either side it should come off....that’s not the case for me.  I’m not trying to break something and it feels that stuck.....line roller spins smooth, but I’ve got the reel  rotor broken down, and I’m at pause getting the roller off.  Tell me how it goes for ya

Let me add that last night before I realized that I needed to remove the rotor nut as per Craigs video, I was checking to see what size Torx was needed for the screws that came in the bailless kit. The T8 barely fits those screws, the #8 Torx bit doesn't engage the screw head more than the leading edge of the Torx bit. Tight tolerances is one thing, but this is something else entirely. I think this is leading to the complaint of people striping the screws. 

That video looked fairly involved, at least from my perspective, as someone who has never owned a VS nor taken one apart. I build and maintain carbines and other firearms, so I have some mechanical inclination.

I also noticed in the video that Craig had to exert force to get the line roller off the bail arm, as if the two parts were "press-fit" together. Maybe not intentionally press fit, but more like poor tolerance press fit. 

Funny story - I called Van Stall to ask what the VR50 handle knob was made of. At first glance, I honestly thought it was black anodized aluminum with a matte finish. They put me on hold twice, for a few minutes each time, and came back and said this, verbatim - "it's not plastic, it's made of Delrin". I never mentioned plastic when I asked what it was made of. They were afraid to say it was made of plastic. :p 

1 hour ago, shivsean said:

Let me add that last night before I realized that I needed to remove the rotor nut as per Craigs video, I was checking to see what size Torx was needed for the screws that came in the bailless kit. The T8 barely fits those screws, the #8 Torx bit doesn't engage the screw head more than the leading edge of the Torx bit.

Yes I am ended up being better off with a # 9,  either way the video states a 10. I’m all for doing the kit myself but it seems the video could be done better.  

I wouldn’t consider myself mechanical at all.  I can tinker, I’ve worked in restaurants all my life, so I’ve managed to work on a few things, and the basics around my house.  But honestly I was expecting this to be a lot more streamlined, and it would be if that damn roller would just come off!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok so I got it all assembled, line roller basically fell off. Yours must be corrosion stuck. Problem now is major rotor wobble, with or without the counter weight removed. Something is wrong here. Had anyone else done this? And there are parts in this reel that don’t match to the reel Craig took apart.

Update: wobble disappears once I put the reel back on the rod.  And I did not remove the counter weight bolted to the rotor. It is still on there. Someone let me know how theirs works with the counter weight removed. I’m not taking this apart again.

Something I noticed, there are O-rings on the line roller old bail arm.  one on screw side and one on the roller side. They stay with the bail arm once the screw and roller is removed.  I guess we’re not moving those over to the new fixed bail arm?

Edited by shivsean

I got my roller off. Turns out it just needed a little coercion.  No corrosion at all...bailess kit installed no problem.  

My kit did not come with the spacing washer used to hold the bail arm tight....so there’s some wobble.  Frustrated about that but I’ll order it.  My counter balance on the router was removed so it seems to balance well.  

All said and done nice little bailess reel. I’m excited for the bass to come back

On 2/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, Tucker 63 said:

I think I am going to keep the bail for now after reading this.  Will be my only bailed reel, but I am ok with that.

It’s really not bad at all if you are watching the video. Pretty straight forward except the fact that you will need both T8 and T10 torx screwdrivers. Best decision I made making my vr175 bailess.