Some thing new for the Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

codfish

2 hours ago, codfish said:

Some guys make there own with free lead from tire repair shops, this mold is 2,3,4oz

s-l1600 (2).jpg

I tried wheel weight lead when I was a kid. At that time, it didn't work at all.  Besides the fact it was lighter than pure lead, it was also very brittle.  The guy at the junkie told me that was because they had babbit in it.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The Sultan of Sluggo

11 hours ago, bob_G said:

I tried wheel weight lead when I was a kid. At that time, it didn't work at all.  Besides the fact it was lighter than pure lead, it was also very brittle.  The guy at the junkie told me that was because they had babbit in it.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

:th:

On 3/28/2023 at 9:27 AM, bob_G said:

Wheel weights used to be a great source for boolit casters.

Wheel weights are relatively high in antimony, so they’re a bit harder and more brittle than pure lead.

casters are very careful with their alloys as alloy plays a large part in velocity and barrel leading. I have specific formulas for specific Brinell hardnesses. Generally mix scrap lead with wheel weights, then moderate the alloy by adding pure lead to make it softer, or adding linotype to make it harder.

most clip on wheel weights are generally 92-96% lead and 4-8% antimony, so your buddy was pretty close

On 3/28/2023 at 9:30 AM, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I make them for myself, 

I'm in Oxford, not sure if you’re close?

What’re you doing all the way over there? I always assumed you lived closer to the canal. That has to be a wicked commute

5 hours ago, EliasA said:

Wheel weights used to be a great source for boolit casters.

Wheel weights are relatively high in antimony, so they’re a bit harder and more brittle than pure lead.

casters are very careful with their alloys as alloy plays a large part in velocity and barrel leading. I have specific formulas for specific Brinell hardnesses. Generally mix scrap lead with wheel weights, then moderate the alloy by adding pure lead to make it softer, or adding linotype to make it harder.

most clip on wheel weights are generally 92-96% lead and 4-8% antimony, so your buddy was pretty close

Thanks for sharing :th:I learned something:)

1 min ago, clambellies said:

The one time that I used wheel weights to melt down I was amazed at thr amount of crappy slag and scum that I had to scrape off the top of the pot.  

X2.......you went through a lot of KRAP before you got to the "lead".........