fishguts430

Anybody prefer a kayak other than a hobie

99 posts in this topic

The OP was asking about pedal kayaks only. But...I love this 20 yr old Perception Prism just as much as my Hobie.

CFC841EF-1C7A-42A7-9126-E9CB8D82CB10.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just sold my outback and picked up a 2020 predator pdl. I found one that had a scratch on it from shipping. I picked it up for 1900 shipped to my door with a 15 percent newsletter coupon. I couldnt pass that deal up as i was looking at the predator and really considering the topwater 120 for the price. it should be here tuesday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No history with Hobie, but I paddle a Bonafide SS107 in the creeks and rivers in Bama. Great fishing yak with the most comfortable seat. I have fished for 8-10 hours straight without any leg or back pain / fatigue. Have rented a few different sit-on yaks before purchasing the Bonafide, and the seat comfort was on the top of my shopping list. Stability was a close 2nd. You can easily stand and fish, and even stand and paddle without fear of tipping. I would love to try out a Hobie PA14 for comparison. They seem to continue innovating and keeping on top of their competition. That new 360 drive looks amazing!!  Here is a shot of mine on the day I bought it a couple of years ago. Have installed a lot of accessories since then (2-years ago), and built a trailer over the winter. A trailer makes launching / loading so much easier!!

9D2B7EDD-0711-412E-9EC9-DCBE67DECE3B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2020 at 11:22 PM, fishguts430 said:

I just sold my outback and picked up a 2020 predator pdl. I found one that had a scratch on it from shipping. I picked it up for 1900 shipped to my door with a 15 percent newsletter coupon. I couldnt pass that deal up as i was looking at the predator and really considering the topwater 120 for the price. it should be here tuesday. 

Have you had a chance to take the predator out yet? I’m buying a new yak I’ve been looking at them but the high seat position makes it seem kinda tippy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATBfish said:

Have you had a chance to take the predator out yet? I’m buying a new yak I’ve been looking at them but the high seat position makes it seem kinda tippy. 

Its no higher than a hobie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Its no higher than a hobie.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve wanted a Hobie since I’ve got into fishing but being a big dude those hull cracks have pushed me away. Really considering an oldtown predator or big water sportsman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, ATBfish said:

Thanks for your reply. I’ve wanted a Hobie since I’ve got into fishing but being a big dude those hull cracks have pushed me away. Really considering an oldtown predator or big water sportsman. 

I own both. I would not shy away from a Hobie because of your weight. Hobies crack from stress an thin spots, no proof from an anglers weight being the cause.  If you shop a Hobie see if you can get work a deal and get the GT drive. You lose reverse but at lease you get reliability. 
 

The Old Town has no reported issues on Hull cracks that I can find. The only problems I had on a PDL has been the pin under a prop corroded and I replaced it with a stainless one.  The nut holding down the prop had an issue removing and had to dremel off and retap. OT offered a new drive but I decided it was minor.  I do not use my PDL drive in the salt.  Brackish and fresh only. I may start using the PDL TW 106 in light salt this year.  The PDL drive is not 100 percent water proof but OT will warranty if there is issues.   I still would not dunk the drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I own both. I would not shy away from a Hobie because of your weight. Hobies crack from stress an thin spots, no proof from an anglers weight being the cause.  If you shop a Hobie see if you can get work a deal and get the GT drive. You lose reverse but at lease you get reliability. 
 

The Old Town has no reported issues on Hull cracks that I can find. The only problems I had on a PDL has been the pin under a prop corroded and I replaced it with a stainless one.  The nut holding down the prop had an issue removing and had to dremel off and retap. OT offered a new drive but I decided it was minor.  I do not use my PDL drive in the salt.  Brackish and fresh only. I may start using the PDL TW 106 in light salt this year.  The PDL drive is not 100 percent water proof but OT will warranty if there is issues.   I still would not dunk the drive. 

Thanks for your reply. I fish brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay 90% of the time and coastal bays the other 10%. That’s the only time I would be heavy in the salt. Either way I made the mistake with my first kayak(a Jackson big rig) and didnt test it out first. I ended up with a kayak I hate because it’s a beast to paddle in current and the cockpit storage area sucks big time.

 

Im into kayak fishing enough now where I can justify the cost of a pedal drive. However I don’t know if I want to spend PA money. The old towns come at a nice price point that my wife will give me less crap over lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, ATBfish said:

Thanks for your reply. I fish brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay 90% of the time and coastal bays the other 10%. That’s the only time I would be heavy in the salt. Either way I made the mistake with my first kayak(a Jackson big rig) and didnt test it out first. I ended up with a kayak I hate because it’s a beast to paddle in current and the cockpit storage area sucks big time.

 

Im into kayak fishing enough now where I can justify the cost of a pedal drive. However I don’t know if I want to spend PA money. The old towns come at a nice price point that my wife will give me less crap over lol. 

To be totally honest, you will find the Old Town PDL line Top Water 106 and Predator to be beastly as well. Hobie Outback and PA too.  If you are under 275lbs, consider the Revo 13 with the GT drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, The Riddler said:

To be totally honest, you will find the Old Town PDL line Top Water 106 and Predator to be beastly as well. Hobie Outback and PA too.  If you are under 275lbs, consider the Revo 13 with the GT drive. 

Yeah I’m too fat for a revo. I’m 6’3” 325. I rather use my legs in a big yak than paddle though. Either way my local dealer does demos so I plan to try out as many as they will allow me to once the madness dies down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, ATBfish said:

Yeah I’m too fat for a revo. I’m 6’3” 325. I rather use my legs in a big yak than paddle though. Either way my local dealer does demos so I plan to try out as many as they will allow me to once the madness dies down. 

 Outback would be the minimum in the Hobie line unless someone chimes in and feels your leg inseam is too long. You will fit in most if not all of the PDL series.  I have the little big guy TW PDL 106, my inseam is 30".  I am two clicks from the front and have over 6" to go back.  For a little kayak its very roomy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.