fishguts430

Anybody prefer a kayak other than a hobie

99 posts in this topic

I have a vibe Sea Ghost 130 and absolutely love it.  It was under 1,000 dollars and have everything i need.  It is super sturdy and easy to add things to it.  It doesnt have a pedal system, but im fine without it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone paddle an Ocean Kayak Trident 15? I have done a lot of sea kayaking so this looks pretty close to a sea kayak while still being a sit on top. Looks close to 100lbs which is pretty freaking heavy though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnysmoke said:
8 mins ago, johnysmoke said:

Any other recommendations? 

Consider an older OK Scupper Pro, they show up on CL. They are around 60 lbs, 26” wide, 14’9” long, The TW (tank well) model is better for fishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to recommend a kayak when we don't know the paddlers weight and leg inseam. I paddled the Prowler 13 and if you are over 250 lb ish and over 33" leg inseam ish, it may not work.  We suggest to ignore manufacturers "Max Weights".  Most of the time the problems happen way before the max weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, fishguts430 said:

I have a hobie outback and I really do like the kayak. Something is telling me to sell it and try a old down predator or another brand. Anybody prefer other brands than a hobie and why you like those other brands? Im talking strictly pedal drives

Yes. Jackson. I paddle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, fishguts430 said:

I have a hobie outback and I really do like the kayak. Something is telling me to sell it and try a old down predator or another brand. Anybody prefer other brands than a hobie and why you like those other brands? Im talking strictly pedal drives

Nah. 
 

Seriously though, it seems that Hobie drives might generally be the most problem-free. The hulls may not be, but the weight of the Old Towns and many others is a big turn off to me. The Revo at around ~70 lbs hits the sweet spot in my book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, drmevo said:

Nah. 
 

Seriously though, it seems that Hobie drives might generally be the most problem-free. The hulls may not be, but the weight of the Old Towns and many others is a big turn off to me. The Revo at around ~70 lbs hits the sweet spot in my book. 

Hobie drives are far from problem free. Years ago we stripped drums and had to thru bolt before Hobie  redesigned the drums. Chains breaking, pedal stalks cracking from corrosion or metal fatigue still current today. Hit an object and the mast pokes through the fin......I have never owned the reverse drive and from I read it also has its set of problems. 
 

These are the problems I had with the PDL.  The pin corroded for holding the prop and I had to retap the stud that holds the prop. Both were easy fixes that could have been warranted just like Hobie does....but 2 hours round trip was not worth it for me to kittery Maine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Riddler said:

Hobie drives are far from problem free. Years ago we stripped drums and had to thru bolt before Hobie  redesigned the drums. Chains breaking, pedal stalks cracking from corrosion or metal fatigue still current today. Hit an object and the mast pokes through the fin......I have never owned the reverse drive and from I read it also has its set of problems. 
 

These are the problems I had with the PDL.  The pin corroded for holding the prop and I had to retap the stud that holds the prop. Both were easy fixes that could have been warranted just like Hobie does....but 2 hours round trip was not worth it for me to kittery Maine. 

Yeah, certainly not problem-free in general but I guess I meant compared to others, which I think you’ve pointed out are not sealed above the water line. I’ve seen your posts on the PDL and I’d be interested in how it holds up after a few years. I’ve read that the pin corroding is pretty much a given within a season or so on them.
KTP is about 15 minutes from my house - they’ve got some good deals from time to time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drmevo said:

Yeah, certainly not problem-free in general but I guess I meant compared to others, which I think you’ve pointed out are not sealed above the water line. I’ve seen your posts on the PDL and I’d be interested in how it holds up after a few years. I’ve read that the pin corroding is pretty much a given within a season or so on them.
KTP is about 15 minutes from my house - they’ve got some good deals from time to time. 

I agree.  I still will not use my drive in the ocean.  Old Town  will still warranty and that's what Hobie has over Old Town. A drive 

that can be submerged without worry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.