Gooch88

codfish even reach 30lbs anymore

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

1-2nd trip first time ever  targeting cod ! was expensive but also extremely good broke my Accurate tern seems like a binding issue with the line release lever idk how much that’s gonna cost to fix actually just got it less then a year ago... Not a bad reel previous this this issue  Smh... Anyways first trip I went out with complete overkill gear 50-80# 8-16oz XH mono combos.Didn’t do my homework was watching videos on YouTube from 2011  not a fun trip didn’t catch much looked like a real goof. I was expecting 30-40lb fish  every drop  2nd trip brought out the sexy inshore stuff old faithful s-229 and tern300 30-40# braid combos did a lot better managed 8 fish up to 24” but I broke my reel wasn’t planning on keeping any fish but Decided to make fish dinner after what happened plus they taste really good I regret throwing the other back. High low rig fancy beads did nothing for me dropper loop rig plain big globs of clam was the key both trips and also you have to let them eat !!! . Do 30pd cod still exist?

They are too heavily targeted both recreationally and commercially so they do not get a chance to grow... "Offshore wrecks" where recs seldom get to and nets can't wipe them out still hold giants but as each wreck gets known, so goes the size of the fish left. Discover a new wreck (actually a big old one that only you know about)!

Edited by jason colby

I was pissed that I couldn't get my dad to take me on an "Andrea Doria" trip shortly after Billy & Paul found it. I did get a 50 in '88 (I think)  on a "Georges Bank" trip. We hit a wreck that was only fishable for about a half hour or so before the tide started running too hard. It wasn't even good for second place in either the Cod-only or edible pools.

They're out there, went out in Sept w/friends and we jigged up at least 4 that went 15-30 lbs in 325' over a small bump. 

You just need the magic numbers, now more than ever.  The fish are definitely harder to find, which means the well-known spots are fished out.

35 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

The fish are definitely harder to find, which means the well-known spots are fished out.

Only the well known spots?

More likely all oceans fished out

4 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Only the well known spots?

More likely all oceans fished out

No doubt that the NE Atlantic cod population is a mere shadow of its former self.  Just saying that if work hard on prospecting, you can find them and then you keep your mouth totally shut.  I have spots up here and a colleague of mine on LI has some excellent spots too that regularly produce 20+ lb fish.  

It's definitely gone from stupid fishing to Smith Barney fishing, you EARN them...

Thirty pound cod still happen, but not too often.

When stocks get fished down, the impact doesn't hit all sizes of fish equally.  Instead, it has a disproportionate impact on the larger fish.  That's because any fishing reduces the average lifespan of the targeted species, removing fish from the population sooner than natural mortality, acting alone, would.  When a stock is overfished, that trend is made worse, and you ultimately end up with very little other than smaller fish.  That's why a decline in the size of the fish being caught is usually a warning sign that you need to back off on fishing before a real problem is created.

As others have noticed, some seldom-fished pieces can still produce a large fish from time to time, particularly wrecks that trawlers avoid out of fears of net damage, or even loss.  Every now and again, someone will even take a decent cod off open bottom or an oft-fished wreck, but that's a newsworthy occasion.

Still remember the days when I fished on party boats out of Rhode Island, and caught cod in the summer at Cox's Ledge during the middle of summer.  The smallest pool fish I ever saw in those days was 35 pounds--happened twice, with my father lucky enough to have one of them--and pool fish over 50 were relatively frequent.

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Still remember the days when I fished on party boats out of Rhode Island, and caught cod in the summer at Cox's Ledge during the middle of summer.  The smallest pool fish I ever saw in those days was 35 pounds--happened twice, with my father lucky enough to have one of them--and pool fish over 50 were relatively frequent.

I bring my charter boat from Quincy to Westport, Ma sometime in July after the flounder depart. From Westport, it's a straight shot 30 miles south to get to my area of Cox'es Ledge. The fishing is still pretty good with some days being "quite great". While 30 pound cod come up often enough, you can't count on it for sure. More often like 20 to 25 pounds are the top fish of the day. Our limit is 10 fish but I'm happy when we get at least 5/person. Full boat limits are scarce!....

082019cod.JPG

082019mikecodb.jpg

081719bobcod.JPG

082818ron.jpeg

Another great example of our country annihilating a species for their own personal gain...at one point 30lb cod were found in inshore environments I believe. If you're really curious about the subject/history, a book titled Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World By Mark Kurlansky is a really awesome read.

27 mins ago, jason colby said:

I bring my charter boat from Quincy to Westport, Ma sometime in July after the flounder depart. From Westport, it's a straight shot 30 miles south to get to my area of Cox'es Ledge. The fishing is still pretty good with some days being "quite great". While 30 pound cod come up often enough, you can't count on it for sure. More often like 20 to 25 pounds are the top fish of the day. Our limit is 10 fish but I'm happy when we get at least 5/person. Full boat limits are scarce!....

082019cod.JPG

082019mikecodb.jpg

081719bobcod.JPG

082818ron.jpeg

My problem is that I grew up at a time when 5 fish per person, with the biggest of 30 (aassuming 6 anglers) only 25 pounds, would not be considered good on a private charter.

nd the broader problem is that by calling it "good," you contribute to the "shifting baseline syndrome," where relatively bad fishing is considered good, and people forget what "good" really meant, or how good the fishery really could be, if properly managed.

I remember when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, I used to see reports of some really big cod in the Long Island Fisherman.  You don't see that any more.  

I saw a post on FB the other day of a guy in a pic with countless dead bass.  One guy chimed in saying something along the lines that this is happiness and the hell with what the snowflakes think.  I said to myself, how stupid can one be.  If we continue to harvest at these same rates, we aren't going to be left with anything.  I was going to reply but then I remembered a conversation I had with someone more senior than me at work a number of years ago.  Our place of employment was suffering in one area so I suggested we have the company pay for training that would close this gap.  He believed it was pointless because a lot of the people that needed to take it wouldn't be able to absorb the material.  I couldn't understand that because we weren't talking rocket science.  Years later, I get it now.  There are a good number of people out there that just cannot comprehend what to some of us have been saying for years.  Unfortunately a lot of those same people sit on the ASMFC.

1 hour ago, jason colby said:

082019cod.JPG

082019mikecodb.jpg

081719bobcod.JPG

082818ron.jpeg

These are the fish I’m looking for nice catch capt !

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

My problem is that I grew up at a time when 5 fish per person, with the biggest of 30 (aassuming 6 anglers) only 25 pounds, would not be considered good on a private charter.

nd the broader problem is that by calling it "good," you contribute to the "shifting baseline syndrome," where relatively bad fishing is considered good, and people forget what "good" really meant, or how good the fishery really could be, if properly managed.

I couldn't agree more but we have to play the hand we are dealt while trying to stack the deck as much as we can in our favor. Rec fishermen have been paying the price for "commercial excess" since The MS Act came into play almost 45 years ago. Before that we had only a 12 mile limit and we used to complain about the foreign boats fishing just outside and "taking all the fish". Our fleet was quite inept before we went to the 200 mile limit and kicked out all the Asian and European factory trawlers. 

Then, our "Mensa Candidate" fishery/government loaned commercial harvesting boat money to anyone who wanted to go out to  "rape, pillage and plunder".  The result is that we did far more damage in the next 20 years than 300 years of foreign fishing could have dreamed of!

21 mins ago, jason colby said:

"Mensa Candidate" fishery/government 

Like that, may have to alternate between that and my signature "Nobel Laureate Fishcrats", with your permission of course Jason...

3 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

Like that, may have to alternate between that and my signature "Nobel Laureate Fishcrats", with your permission of course Jason...

All yours (I have a million of them)!