Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Was looking at the Shimano torium pga reels for diamond jigging and bottom fishing. I like how it has the large power handle and a Powerful gear ratio at 4.6.1 also it's got 33lbs of drag. Looks very promising. Any one use these reels and have any experience with them? I plan to get the 16 and put 65lb J braid on it and pair it up with a Okuma Cedros Mh or H 6 foot 6 jigging rod.

670581---torium-pga-reel.jpg

1 hour ago, Olddrum said:

Have you fished the PG?

Yes and the regular, depending on what type of bottom fishing you may prefer the regular over the PGA

14 mins ago, Grayson said:

Yes and the regular, depending on what type of bottom fishing you may prefer the regular over the PGA

Thanks for the reply. What different application whould you say to use the different reels?

7 mins ago, Olddrum said:

Thanks for the reply. What different application whould you say to use the different reels?

I've used the PGAs for grouper fishing, probably about to purchase a 20 here soon. The regulars are great for anything from live bait to jigging, I was introduced to them before the PGA came out and have a few friends that still use the high gear for grouper.

31 mins ago, Grayson said:

I've used the PGAs for grouper fishing, probably about to purchase a 20 here soon. The regulars are great for anything from live bait to jigging, I was introduced to them before the PGA came out and have a few friends that still use the high gear for grouper.

How do you like the 16?

10 mins ago, Olddrum said:

How do you like the 16?

They will hold about 180yds of 100lb braid, very light. My old boss has one on the xxh trevala, his first bottom setup that wasn't a senator and he wouldn't get rid of it for the world.

toriums 16s are great.  only issue for me was line capacity when i was thinking big and deeper.  talica 16 filled that need.  the new speedmaster (?) maybe a good “in between” worth checking out ??? i have not used one (yet).

On 1/15/2020 at 10:41 PM, Olddrum said:

Was looking at the Shimano torium pga reels for diamond jigging and bottom fishing. I like how it has the large power handle and a Powerful gear ratio at 4.6.1 also it's got 33lbs of drag. Looks very promising. Any one use these reels and have any experience with them? I plan to get the 16 and put 65lb J braid on it and pair it up with a Okuma Cedros Mh or H 6 foot 6 jigging rod.

670581---torium-pga-reel.jpg

I have the 20 size and use it for offshore sea bass, cod, and tilefish. Packed mine w 50lb braid and I have about 500 yds of line on it. Love the lower gear ratio and strong drag. 

I had a 30pga. Great reels for the price. The handle was a little frustrating if you needed to find it fast because it's always swinging. 

If you're dropping deeper (200+) the lower line retrieval rate is a little but of a bummer; it takes a while to reel up but this is no different than any lower geared single speed reel. 

I went back to higher speed reels for light bottom fishing and 2 speeds out deeper. 

I just got a 16PG for party boat groundfishing. Took 200 yards of 50lb braid plus a bunch of mono backing. I put the handle on in its longest configuration, and winching a 21" pollock was barely more work than bringing up an empty bait rig,