anystripe

Best Waders?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

In recent years I've had LL Bean, Simms, Caddis, and Frogg Toggs. The Simms lasted me about 5 years, then started leaking at the seams around the knees. I sent them back to Simms and they sent me a brand new pair free! Can't beat that. My LL Beans have about 5-6 patches on them but are still holding up and I'm using as a back-up now. I had 2 pairs of the Frogg Toggs and they only last about 1 season. The seams in the stocking foot ended up leaking. The Caddis did not even last a full season.

I use my boots in fresh water, not salt and I fish in them alot. They do take a beating climbing over rocks and logs and struggling thru thick brush. From my experience Simms gets my vote. 

For the average person fishing the east coast I'm going with what DZ recommended. It's what I do and I might add in that I will try to keep the FW and SW waders separate but if I'm going near the rocks the stockingfoot caddis with cleated boots get the evening in hell. I have had good luck with all my Bean Bootfoot Emergers and their original light weight version, also an Orvis stockingfoot set up and Caddis stockingfoot which finally gave up after lots of rocks, brush, salt and fresh over a 7 year run.

Simms G3 guide wader. I've got 12 years out of this pair for $350. (ebay find). They are finally leaking a bit in the right stockingfoot. I not only use them in the surf, they got used and abused the last 12 years fishing from surf, to fresh water and hundreds of fly fishing trips. I probably wear them close to 150 days a year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still too early to give a definitive recommendation for them but so far so good. I got sick of the ll beans leaking on me every season so I finally moved onto dryft waders. Got them around sept so it hasnt been a large sample size but I like them a lot better.

Edited by genu

I'd go with cheapest pair of breathable waders you can find and a tube of UV seal for emergencies and Aqua Seal for final repair. Chances are they are all coming from the same Chinese factory 

Edited by nfnDrum

15 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

I'd go with cheapest pair of breathable waders you can find and a tube of UV seal for emergencies and Aqua Seal for final repair. Chances are they are all coming from the same Chinese factory 

that UV sealant is amazing. I have pin holes all over my waders from normal wear and tear and the UV seal comes in handy.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:19 PM, anystripe said:

Finally moving on from LL Bean after 10 or so years. They denied an exchange on a $300 pair that I only used a handful of times and leaking in the seam (still had receipt, box, everything). I knew they changed their policy, but I thought they still honored defects.

What waders are you's using? Just trying to see what else is out there now.

Man that sucks. I was at an outdoor Archery event and I asked the rep about that. She said it reads satisfaction guaranteed so maybe if you go back and tell them that you’re not satisfied they will make good. That was last July. Call the 800# and talk to the rep there.