Best Waders?

Rate this topic

anystripe

Finally moving on from LL Bean after 10 or so years. They denied an exchange on a $300 pair that I only used a handful of times and leaking in the seam (still had receipt, box, everything). I knew they changed their policy, but I thought they still honored defects.

What waders are you's using? Just trying to see what else is out there now.

5 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

if its any help as a recommendation... i still use a pair of orvis goretex waders i got in like 1995.  i’ll wear them a dozen or so fresh and a dozen or so salt water days/year early and later season.  only a couple small leaks/easy fixes over the last 5 or 6 years.

Thats pretty impressive they've lasted like that. My waders never make it more than 1 or two seasons without needing some serious TLC. One of the many reasons I prefer to fish in a wetsuit for all but the coldest parts of the season.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

Waders have always been a “consumable”  for the avid striped bass surfcaster.  In all my years (over 40) I’ve never had a pair last more than three seasons without patching.  That was a pair or Simms (over $400) But they are very expensive.  You could probably accomplish a longer life by purchasing 3-4 pairs of less expensive waders for the same total price.  
Comfort is the key aspect.  Budget them into your hobby because none will last forever and everyone fishes differently. 

11 hours ago, anystripe said:

Finally moving on from LL Bean after 10 or so years. They denied an exchange on a $300 pair that I only used a handful of times and leaking in the seam (still had receipt, box, everything). I knew they changed their policy, but I thought they still honored defects.

Check out USIA, I've been really happy with mine. Only had them for a yr but so far they have been great. Very comfortable,  boot is excellent.  Great durability so far. They are expensive but they also come with a lifetime warranty. 

Check them out

Just picked up a pair of Orvis boot foot with felt soles for 149.00. Like was said above, I rotate through a few pairs, and always have a back up, for when something happens in mid season or run. Just went clamming in a pair of $60 Remington neoprenes that have to be at least 15 years old. No leaks, but only used when it’s cold out.

"Ban Pre-shredded Cheese, Make America Grate Again"

On 1/14/2020 at 5:19 PM, anystripe said:

There is no such thing as best waders in my opinion. It’s all in conditions and location your fishing. Do you spend 8-10 hours in them every time fishing? Or just few hours? Rocky areas or beach ? Neoprene or light weight? Here is my advice try them on size and comfort. Simms is my recommendation If you spend a lot of time in waders they last and hold up great but expensive.Frog Toggs for few hours. Can’t beat the price. There is a difference between freshwater and saltwater waders. Just like wading boots. I see people on hear complaining about wading boots only lasting 1 season they didn’t do there homework and bad mouth the company. Hope this helps. 

1 hour ago, Lsol2017 said:

Reddington sonic Pro waders with buckskin Korkers boots have had them for 2 yrs with no issues to date !!

You like them things?

I bought the zip version....

They might as well not even be breathable.....meaning...not worth their price.

Pockets are poorly cut compared to cheaper waders

For a 500$ wader....their belt and suspender setup is worse than ll beans 250$ wader.

Very stiff and heavy

Bootie seams started failing after first 10 uses

1 year warranty.

I could never recommend these.....

After the past two seasons and the unusually high precipitation....waders all year were a must in FW....(mosquitos were awful)  These were the worst breathing breathable garments I've ever owned...going back to my first pair of breathable waders 20 years ago.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

The best wader out there for the money is Aquaz ! Their bootfoots and zip up

models can’t be beat ! I use the bootfoots zip up all winter Xi fish 4/5 times a week now in 5th season . Very warm and comfortable to walk in , they use Boggs bottoms !! These people I believe make Patagonia as well !

Their dry suits are ranked highest quality worldwide ! 

On 1/16/2020 at 2:19 PM, scoobydoo said:

You like them things?

I bought the zip version....

They might as well not even be breathable.....meaning...not worth their price.

Pockets are poorly cut compared to cheaper waders

For a 500$ wader....their belt and suspender setup is worse than ll beans 250$ wader.

Very stiff and heavy

Bootie seams started failing after first 10 uses

1 year warranty.

I could never recommend these.....

After the past two seasons and the unusually high precipitation....waders all year were a must in FW....(mosquitos were awful)  These were the worst breathing breathable garments I've ever owned...going back to my first pair of breathable waders 20 years ago.

First and only waders,  they have taken a beating from the rocks on the canal to the brush/ woods on the side of streams. Has taken a sharp branch, for me a time or two with no rips. I have no issues with the bootie seam, I can’t compare breathability to other waders, but for $200 (on sale) I felt I got my money’s worth. If you can recommend a pair of durable / breathable waders better than the sonic pros Priced similar I’m all ears for something different. Thanks Scooby 

anything from simms. my last pair of simms lasted me 10 years! i just upgraded to the G3 waders last year. (and use my old pair as backup) as always these are great too. i fish at least 2 times week. so they get heavy use. however, i will say that i never used them in saltwater. i throw on my old pair of cabelas neoprene waders for salt.