gellfex

Optimum height of flag/light pole?

9 posts in this topic

One of my winter projects is a new light/flag pole system. Current one has a 4' carbon rod for the light and the flag extends 2 feet higher. I see the VisiPole says it's 4-6' tall, but it's not clear if that depends or where you mount it or is it adjustable. Anyone have thoughts on this? Perhaps you've been out with buddies and couldn't see their light?  I'm also debating whether to power it from the main 12v GPS/FF battery. It's going to be 250 lumen, higher powered than the typical one.  Most of the times I've been out at night it's been in high traffic areas.

Should be considered a 360 all around light. So no obstruction to hinder the light reaching 360 view. Higher also means the greater the distance the light would be visible given enough brightness to reach the distance by others. 

I use the visi carbon with the standard two LED light , not the optional 4 light, I think it is very bright, for me almost too bright, so going too bright might not be the best thing. My visi carbon is 4'10" tall, and I use a be-seen flag, and a couple of my buds use the same flag and light, plenty visible and the flag really stands out compared to the standard orange yak attack flag. There is a lot of movement on the flag at that height, I'm not sure I woul dwant to go higher. The batteries last a long time , and it is simple, I can reach back and pull the pole apart to turn light on and off, there i s a picture of it in my photo to left, at least in Jan. 2020.....jack

9 mins ago, Bulldog said:

I use a be-seen flag

What is that? Is it a product? Google didn't turn it up. I use an orange triangular one that came with a kids bike trailer. As for the light, as I said, it's a project. I'll post some pics later on. If it's too bright maybe I'll add a dimmer.

I broke my Hobie Visilight with carbon rod in the back of truck several times. It kept getting shorter.  You know what?  I like it shorter. The cushion sits in the flush mount. It's still above my head for 360 coverage. The flag can still be seen during the daytime in some swell.   Its 5' end to end and it works for me.  I drilled out the Carbon and put in the Orange fiberglass  Driveway marker.  Much more durable now and it can bend towards me and turn on or off.  

CD9B10DA-F778-4F1F-8368-DFFFEFCFCE71.jpeg

481EB32C-528A-4E7B-A151-900C637D60A4.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I broke my Hobie Visilight with carbon rod in the back of truck several times. It kept getting shorter.

That's impressive breaking the carbon rod! Was it solid or hollow? Do you think there is any downside of using 1/2" PVC instead, if I want to run wire up to power it from the main battery? Seems plenty stiff enough for a light with no batteries and a flag.

Edited by gellfex

Posted (edited) · Report post

Had a broken gsb1321m with tons of mojo i wanted to make my kayak light pole for about 5yrs now, finally got to putting it all together last winter, only thing i bought was my own tektite 2 led light.

Used the safety flag from when i bed loaded the kayak, its a little big (18×18) but whatever, you can see me a mile away when i unwrap it.

20200114_220104.jpg.2ca23685db23598ab08a9afc4711fae6.jpg

This is the home depot safety flag i used

reds-pinks-hdx-bungee-cords-54905-e1_1000.jpg.6db22036ff23702f0766d7179e96d48a.jpg

Edited by BillZ

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

That's impressive breaking the carbon rod! Was it solid or hollow? Do you think there is any downside of using 1/2" PVC instead, if I want to run wire up to power it from the main battery? Seems plenty stiff enough for a light with no batteries and a flag.

I abused it. 1/2" pvc is fine. 

Beseen was apparently  a product, a safety flag with velcro to wrap  around items. We used them at our plants  to put on overhead power lines  to avoid  them being hit. Not what they were made for but I bought a bunch, I’m going to  see what  I left, if I have one I’ll send it to you. It is real nice fluorescent  and reflective also ,about 12”x12”, I guess company  is gone been five years or so, it’s a shame, nothing else but King Hongs compares to it......Jack