fishonnelsons

Reel Recommendations

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Looking to try something a little bit different on the charter boat.

Sometimes we do a slow troll with spinning rods and small swimmers, but when the fish are deeper we use the wire line, with bigger swimmers or, god forbid!, umbrella rigs. I would like to get away from the wire, and go either with mono, or probably higher test braid, maybe 50-80 pound test, with the swimmers and forward weighted, but smaller umbrella rigs.

Will be using either 7’ or 6’6” conventional St Croix mojo saltwater rods (probably switching over all rods to St Croix this year). 

For my wire reels, believe it or not I have used the Shimano 7000 Tekota line counter, level wind, which I liked - only complaint is the line counter breaks easily.

So, DESIRED - conventional, level wind, line counter which is dependable, lever drag would be nice but not essential, good capacity - maybe 300 yards 65 pound braid, with some backing, STRONG, SOLID - not looking for an inexpensive reel, but not one to break the bank either.

I have ben using the Daiwa Saltist-LW 30HA for years.  I use it as a casting reel in the Canal, loiaded with 50 lb. Suffix braid, and this reel is bullet proof.  On the negative side it does not have a line counter and has a star drag instead of a lever but the drag is excellent.

11 hours ago, b-ware said:

I have ben using the Daiwa Saltist-LW 30HA for years.  I use it as a casting reel in the Canal, loiaded with 50 lb. Suffix braid, and this reel is bullet proof.  On the negative side it does not have a line counter and has a star drag instead of a lever but the drag is excellent.

For jigging or plugging or both?

I have a cabelas gift card burning a hole.......

1 hour ago, gray gables said:

It’s a super fast conventional, be careful casting that. 

Compared to????  I have Penn 525 and Newell 225  and 235 and those reels are fast.  The 30 HA is two or three steps higher than say the Abbu BG series but still very controllable.  This is not a beginers reel but is very easy to master with a little practice...…………... 

I was at a Saltwater Flea Market on Staten Island on Saturday and there was a charter captain there selling his bunker spoons with a video of his boat in action using said spoons, with HOJO's and with wire. On both outfits, the straight wire with the single spoon and the HOJO rod with 65 pound braid he used the same reel that he was swearing by; and it seems to fit your criteria:

"Okuma Coldwater Conventional with Line-counter 6.1/1 Ratio"

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Compared to????  I have Penn 525 and Newell 225  and 235 and those reels are fast.  The 30 HA is two or three steps higher than say the Abbu BG series but still very controllable.  This is not a beginers reel but is very easy to master with a little practice...…………... 

I had the 20lw model. 

7 hours ago, b-ware said:

Bernie-

On a charter boat, it's generally not a good idea to have tackle that "most anyone" can't use. You get a lot of people with different levels of skill and your never quite sure of what you have until you see them in action. If I only brought out the fancy/more difficult tackle, it would be too late....

6 hours ago, jason colby said:

I was at a Saltwater Flea Market on Staten Island on Saturday and there was a charter captain there selling his bunker spoons with a video of his boat in action using said spoons, with HOJO's and with wire. On both outfits, the straight wire with the single spoon and the HOJO rod with 65 pound braid he used the same reel that he was swearing by; and it seems to fit your criteria:

"Okuma Coldwater Conventional with Line-counter 6.1/1 Ratio"

Thanks, not sure how rugged they are, seem to be toward the low end. I’ll ask a guy who fishes a lot of Okuma, Rich somebody, can’t remember the charter, does ground fish, shark and tuna

Thanks, not sure how rugged they are, seem to be toward the low end. I’ll ask a guy who fishes a lot of Okuma, Rich somebody, can’t remember the charter, does ground fish, shark and tuna

Rich Antonino on the Black Rose

3 mins ago, Gloucester2 said:

Rich Antonino on the Black Rose

Yup, thank you