ASrod

Danco Premio TI Pliers = Junk

Rate this topic

145 posts in this topic

15 mins ago, beret said:

I know most folks kinda poo poo the Schmid pliers but I bought them over 5 year ago, they have been wet many times, used many times and not only no distortion or twist..........but they still cut my braid like butter. For the price which I believe was $50 , I love them and have no reason at this point to consider another plier.........just an opinion.

Piece of garbage..I still owns this garbage..

Levari..........you may be right........then again maybe I got their one good pair but they have been wonderful. Once a year I wire brush the teeth, clean with WD40 and oil .......still going strong. And each year when I go to cut some braid I expect some gnawling.......never, cut instantly everytime. I know after reading the press on what a crap pair of pliers I bought, year after year I am amazed..........I am going fishing tomorrow.....if they crap out I am still ahead of the game........but so far so good.

37 mins ago, beret said:

Levari..........you may be right........then again maybe I got their one good pair but they have been wonderful. Once a year I wire brush the teeth, clean with WD40 and oil .......still going strong. And each year when I go to cut some braid I expect some gnawling.......never, cut instantly everytime. I know after reading the press on what a crap pair of pliers I bought, year after year I am amazed..........I am going fishing tomorrow.....if they crap out I am still ahead of the game........but so far so good.

Not only they are rusting quickly, you won’t be able to find replacement cutters..

Levari, at this point I do not need replacement parts......again over 5 years so at this point for $50.00 I am ahead of the game .....playing with house money so to speak. ..... and they are still going. Sorry yours did not work....but s___ happens.

8 hours ago, ASrod said:

It looked like everything was on place on the hinge when I gave it a total inspection earlier. And the handle and jaw were evenly out of whack.

What bent is the big hole, part, missing, in the center of those. They are reinventing the wheel .

12 hours ago, ASrod said:

I kinda don’t even want to risk it even with “better” ones.

Then why say the Dancos are junk and VS are better? Danco stood behind their product, the same thing may happen with a pair of VSs, would they have stood behind them the same way, do they have a lifetime warranty?

1 hour ago, MacCTD said:

Then why say the Dancos are junk and VS are better? Danco stood behind their product, the same thing may happen with a pair of VSs, would they have stood behind them the same way, do they have a lifetime warranty?

Excellent point !!!

15 hours ago, valentine said:

Smart man ! Used to use nothing but Craftsman tools but Sears isn’t doing too well these days so I suppose Kobalt is a present day alternative.

I believe the craftsman brand was sold. 

20 hours ago, ASrod said:

To be completely honest I’m going to call the shop and see if they’d take them back. Then I’ll wait until March or April and grab the 7” VS pliers. I’ve never heard of one pair flexing and breaking like these did.

4 hours ago, MacCTD said:

2 hours ago, levari said:

Excellent point !!!

When I was doing my homework while looking at various pliers, this SOL thread was the only one I could find across the interweb in regards to VS pliers breaking...and I believe it’s the 6” pair. And yes, the VS only have a one year warranty...but they seemed to have taken care of the issue 5 years out of the warranty period anyway. One thing I’ve learned with pliers (as well as just about anything else that’s mass manufactured) is that regardless of their intended use (plumbing, electrical, dental, fishing, etc.), there is always the possibility of getting a “lemon“. The main concern is whether the manufacturer takes care of It once it’s brought to their attention. 

PS The manscaping sidebar in this thread is classic SOL.

5 hours ago, MacCTD said:

Then why say the Dancos are junk and VS are better? Danco stood behind their product, the same thing may happen with a pair of VSs,

Very unlikely.

You can torque any tool inappropriately and damage it but VS pliers would not get destroyed bending back a 3/0 hook. There must be 500 pliers threads started over the years on SOL - VS pliers come up in every one of those threads and other than the price you hear very few complaints.   

I'm sure VS pliers are the best out there, but take a look at this thread BillZ shows that they are most likely on par with the old school Browning pliers. When the Browning pliers were being sold at Bass Pro, they were selling for $59.99. On close out they were $39.99. Probably made in the same factory in China.

On 1/14/2020 at 0:25 AM, XBMX said:

You would think the jaws would snap rather than bend. Could be a issue with the metals hardness.

Titanium is dense not hard....

1 hour ago, quan808 said:

I'm sure VS pliers are the best out there, but take a look at this thread BillZ shows that they are most likely on par with the old school Browning pliers. When the Browning pliers were being sold at Bass Pro, they were selling for $59.99. On close out they were $39.99. Probably made in the same factory in China.

As good as as those Browning’s have been reported to be (by just about everyone), the VS pliers are made out of titanium. So I doubt they were made in the same factory, and probably why they came in at that price point. I know a lot of people wish they were still available...I wish I could have gotten my hands on a pair.

I just watched the op's vid....IMO, the design does not lend itself to being a sturdy, robust plier

that big hole in the middle  just weakens up the arms, ill bet a dollar that's where these things are bending....

5e1f82ec1da45_dancos.jpg.09be07a676239a426295df8d9f69f76c.jpg