ASrod

Danco Premio TI Pliers = Junk

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, valentine said:

You guys want a never fail tool which will cut through every hook you own? Get the mini bolt cutters from Knipex. Yes, they are made of tool steel and can rust if you neglect them but they will function like new for decades of you keep them well oiled and in a zip lock type plastic bag. Cheap, stainless needle nose pliers are all I use for unhooking fish. I finished them with Nylon cord handles coated with epoxy to make a slip and slime proof grip. I Wire brush off the surface rust a couple of times per year as well as a liberal WD-40 bath, periodically, and they’ll never let me down.

I really can’t bring myself to pay the prices that exotic material fishing pliers command.  

Lowes kobalt 8 inch bolt cutter. $15. Lifetime warranty.  Bit less efficient than the knipex, but good enough for emergencies in the car or boat. Knipex stayed home. 

7 mins ago, ASrod said:

Update part 2: Danco was going to replace but Saltwater Edge reaches out and will refund my purchase. I already shipped them back to them.

I am looking forward to your report to see if the VS will survive the same test.

1 hour ago, valentine said:

You guys want a never fail tool which will cut through every hook you own? Get the mini bolt cutters from Knipex. Yes, they are made of tool steel and can rust if you neglect them but they will function like new for decades of you keep them well oiled and in a zip lock type plastic bag. Cheap, stainless needle nose pliers are all I use for unhooking fish. I finished them with Nylon cord handles coated with epoxy to make a slip and slime proof grip. I Wire brush off the surface rust a couple of times per year as well as a liberal WD-40 bath, periodically, and they’ll never let me down.

I really can’t bring myself to pay the prices that exotic material fishing pliers command.  

There ya go. I've been using 8" lineman's pliers for years in case I need cut a hook out of me or somebody else. They've saved me, and somebody else, a couple of times to remain on the bite. And they make Hook removal much easier to boot.

I graduated to Knipex from Klein and Channel Lock several years ago. Just gotta keep 'em maintained so you're not out there with a seized pair when you really need 'em.

I trust them, and their ease of use, more than any I've seen for a surf belt.

32 mins ago, levari said:

I am looking forward to your report to see if the VS will survive the same test.

I kinda don’t even want to risk it even with “better” ones.

what bent.  The jaw or did the joint give out....

If it was an assembly issue....I get it..**** happens.

But if it bent....there could be a batch issue.

1 min ago, scoobydoo said:

I doubt the titanium part bent that easily. More likely is the center pivot bent out of shape. product defect or beyond spec, they should find out why, plenty of real estate to make it stronger.   Fisherman HQ has the 7" short nose version up on their website, I have been meaning to find out more about it. 

I'm not totally surprised that they bent - the jaws are fairly long and relatively narrow. It would be fairly easy bending them (VS are pretty wide and short). They seem similar to my accurates, which you can see flex if you twist them even a little bit. I think they would be fine for their intended use, not sure if deliberately trying to straighten out a hook counts as intended use. Regardless, they probably shouldn't have bent that way.

18 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

It looked like everything was on place on the hinge when I gave it a total inspection earlier. And the handle and jaw were evenly out of whack.

1 min ago, Drew C. said:

I'm not totally surprised that they bent - the jaws are fairly long and relatively narrow. It would be fairly easy bending them (VS are pretty wide and short). They seem similar to my accurates, which you can see flex if you twist them even a little bit. I think they would be fine for their intended use, not sure if deliberately trying to straighten out a hook counts as intended use. Regardless, they probably shouldn't have bent that way.

If the jaw bent, that shouldn't hinder the open and close motion, if anything, it should make it easier to open and close. But his is the opposite.   Just FIY, VS also has 2 version in the 7" pliers, a long skinny one and the regular short nose one.

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Lowes kobalt 8 inch bolt cutter. $15. Lifetime warranty.  Bit less efficient than the knipex, but good enough for emergencies in the car or boat. Knipex stayed home. 

Smart man ! Used to use nothing but Craftsman tools but Sears isn’t doing too well these days so I suppose Kobalt is a present day alternative.

51 mins ago, Rainmaker said:

There ya go. I've been using 8" lineman's pliers for years in case I need cut a hook out of me or somebody else. They've saved me, and somebody else, a couple of times to remain on the bite. And they make Hook removal much easier to boot.

I graduated to Knipex from Klein and Channel Lock several years ago. Just gotta keep 'em maintained so you're not out there with a seized pair when you really need 'em.

I trust them, and their ease of use, more than any I've seen for a surf belt.

Klein makes some really good pliers with fantastic hook cutting ability but I just think that the Knipex mini bolt cutter is a better overall design and that’s why I carry a pair. 
Want to cut a hook? Use something made from tool steel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, valentine said:

Smart man ! Used to use nothing but Craftsman tools but Sears isn’t doing too well these days so I suppose Kobalt is a present day alternative.

Klein makes some really good pliers with fantastic hook cutting ability but I just think that the Knipex mini bolt cutter is a better overall design and that’s why I carry a pair. 
Want to cut a hook? Use something made from tool steel.

For cutting hooks the bolt cutters are the way to go. I like the lineman's because they make hook removal from fish easy, especially larger fish including big blues. The lineman's jaw gets a good grip on hooks as opposed to narrow jaw tools, and most of the time gives me a more powerful grip over all and I can be more efficient or aggressive removing hooks and releasing the fish. Then they give me the hook cutting option in a pinch in the surf and I'm carrying less tools on my belt.

Edited by Rainmaker

4 hours ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

I'll have to look into picking them up. Its really a worst night mare getting a hook buried in your finger in the pitch black at a spot thats a long walk away. But i'm guessing danco pliers are of course made in china. 

Knipex are worth it. Very popular in the automotive/marine field. I use mine daily for cutting zip ties lol. I have tested it extensively tho, after cutting so many pennies my hand started to give up

I know most folks kinda poo poo the Schmid pliers but I bought them over 5 year ago, they have been wet many times, used many times and not only no distortion or twist..........but they still cut my braid like butter. For the price which I believe was $50 , I love them and have no reason at this point to consider another plier.........just an opinion.