ASrod

Danco Premio TI Pliers = Junk

Rate this topic

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

Wow.... That's crazy... Assuming you didn't try to bend a railroad spike... That's noooo Bueno. 

To those poo pooing in this vid, asking why... 

You better believe I'm gonna torque on a set of pliers when I get them... I don't want to find out in the wild they're not up to task. 

I don't blame him for that at all. 

I blew up a set of sargents cutting a 4x 9/0 gamakatsu octopus hook, after cutting a slew of others... I needed to know it's limitations. 

Love watching you test gear,  and understand knowing limitations. 

However a 5oz pair of pliers...... might be a little out of it's range

11 mins ago, Theseeker66 said:

Love watching you test gear,  and understand knowing limitations. 

However a 5oz pair of pliers...... might be a little out of it's range

Their words not mine

F36296B7-A7AB-431D-9338-D7A3A0AA29DE.jpeg

2 mins ago, ASrod said:

Their words not mine

F36296B7-A7AB-431D-9338-D7A3A0AA29DE.jpeg

Yea, the probably kinda throws it off.  

I thrash gear too, and push things till they break just to see. But does that really make them garbage?

And if they are,  what could i buy for that price, weight, and function,  while spending less?

The only reason why I wouldn't invest in a Danco TI plier is that they use the same cutters as their aluminum pliers. Those cutters are crap and need replacing every 6 months if you cut braid and mono. I've gone thru many pair and wish I didn't lose my Donmar. The Donmar is certainly more but their cutter last much longer.

To be completely honest I’m going to call the shop and see if they’d take them back. Then I’ll wait until March or April and grab the 7” VS pliers. I’ve never heard of one pair flexing and breaking like these did.

8 hours ago, Goldy said:

They have good warranty. Send them the video or just return and say that you didnt like.  

i used mine last year and only had issues with cutters which they replaced.  

are you going to be straightening hooks out in the field?

Those of us that have had hooks buried in our hands and fingers may actually need to, (not necessarily straighten out) but get a grip on the hook to push through and all that. i broke my penn pliers doing that with a treble in my middle finger, which resulting in an ER trip.. lol

25 mins ago, ASrod said:

To be completely honest I’m going to call the shop and see if they’d take them back. Then I’ll wait until March or April and grab the 7” VS pliers. I’ve never heard of one pair flexing and breaking like these did.

Like I've said I've had these since last season, and I haven't had a problem.  Do yourself a favor and call them, they are very good to work with and it could help improve the product if need be.. 

4 mins ago, ChewyBrigantine said:

Those of us that have had hooks buried in our hands and fingers may actually need to, (not necessarily straighten out) but get a grip on the hook to push through and all that. i broke my penn pliers doing that with a treble in my middle finger, which resulting in an ER trip.. lol

I carry a knipex for safety in the truck and that will cut through anything, so a walk back to the track wouldn't be the end of the world, unless the fish is still attached... 

4 mins ago, Goldy said:

Like I've said I've had these since last season, and I haven't had a problem.  Do yourself a favor and call them, they are very good to work with and it could help improve the product if need be.. 

I carry a knipex for safety in the truck and that will cut through anything, so a walk back to the track wouldn't be the end of the world, unless the fish is still attached... 

I'll have to look into picking them up. Its really a worst night mare getting a hook buried in your finger in the pitch black at a spot thats a long walk away. But i'm guessing danco pliers are of course made in china. 

I amended my initial response. Take the time to make a one on one call to the manufacture rather than a email.  They may want to test the hardness of the jaws, could have a bad batch.

1 min ago, XBMX said:

I amended my initial response. Take the time to make a one on one call to the manufacture rather than a email.  They may want to test the hardness of the jaws, could have a bad batch.

I called them. They said they have guides test the pliers that way all year and they’ve never ever had them do that on a hook. Could’ve been a loose ring/hinge but I’m waiting on a follow up email.

You guys want a never fail tool which will cut through every hook you own? Get the mini bolt cutters from Knipex. Yes, they are made of tool steel and can rust if you neglect them but they will function like new for decades of you keep them well oiled and in a zip lock type plastic bag. Cheap, stainless needle nose pliers are all I use for unhooking fish. I finished them with Nylon cord handles coated with epoxy to make a slip and slime proof grip. I Wire brush off the surface rust a couple of times per year as well as a liberal WD-40 bath, periodically, and they’ll never let me down.

I really can’t bring myself to pay the prices that exotic material fishing pliers command.  

4 mins ago, valentine said:

You guys want a never fail tool which will cut through every hook you own? Get the mini bolt cutters from Knipex. Yes, they are made of tool steel and can rust if you neglect them but they will function like new for decades of you keep them well oiled and in a zip lock type plastic bag. Cheap, stainless needle nose pliers are all I use for unhooking fish. I finished them with Nylon cord handles coated with epoxy to make a slip and slime proof grip. I Wire brush off the surface rust a couple of times per year as well as a liberal WD-40 bath, periodically, and they’ll never let me down.

I really can’t bring myself to pay the prices that exotic material fishing pliers command.  

Agreed, if you are surfcasting a long way away from your vehicle, these types of pliers are not for you.  You need one tool that will do everything like a pair of Sargents, not a tool designed for a very specific purposes like VS pliers.

On the other hand, say on a boat, these types of pliers or VS pliers, etc make sense because if you get a hook in your hand your tool box is only 10 feet away and your tool box should have a pair of bolt cutters.    In the 700 pliers threads on this board there is always some guy saying "yeah but VS pliers can't cut a treble hook out of my hand".  That guy is always missing the point.

46 mins ago, valentine said:

I keep a pair of those in my truck just in case I need to cut a hook someday. 

1 min ago, z-man said:

I keep a pair of those in my truck just in case I need to cut a hook someday. 

Hope you never need 'em but they sure are good to have. I've driven hooks into myself a number of times but only once did I require a trip to the E.R. 

And the single coolest pair of hook cutting pliers I ever saw were used on me by the Doc I saw that day. A real  Surgical tool. High polish stainless steel. Looked like a swiss watch. Bit through the hook like it was nothing. Should have asked if I could have had them considering what they charged my insurance that day, LOL