ASrod

Danco Premio TI Pliers = Junk

Rate this topic

145 posts in this topic

Ok, I’ll admit I wanted to see if I could straighten out a 3/0 eagle claw hook on a jighead. I broke the pliers while doing so. I took a video of the aftermath, please ignore my dog snoring at my feed.

Also, the pliers were brand new and came in the mail this afternoon. Maybe I got a dud pair, with my luck I wouldn’t doubt it.

CDB45463-7EEA-4A61-BD43-F3DC69E1E415.jpeg

4185B6FE-DC01-4B8A-80BC-6DF63B58C214.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Would have been nice had you filmed the entire test. If only in fairness to the manufacturer. By springing the jaws like that I doubt the manufacturer will honour a replacement. But at least they didn’t brake. 

Rethinking my response maybe I was too harsh. You would think the jaws would snap rather than bend. Could be a issue with the metals hardness.

Edited by XBMX

4 mins ago, XBMX said:

Would have been nice had you filmed the entire test. If only in fairness to the manufacturer 

I didn’t expect to break the things. I was sitting on the computer working on some college crap, looked to my left and saw the pliers and in front of me was the jighead. Thought popped in to my head and boom.

Can’t really see how you torqued them like that trying to straighten out that hook.

Mine worked great this past year cutting mono and removing hooks from decent sized fish.

Never tried it on a hook like that and don’t ever plan to.

They have good warranty. Send them the video or just return and say that you didnt like.  

i used mine last year and only had issues with cutters which they replaced.  

are you going to be straightening hooks out in the field?

Why would you even try to do that?? I used mine to unhook a pile of fish with razor sharpened 4x vmc's in there jaw this fall and they still look brand new??

This is a good example why I fish with a 99 cent pair of Harbor Freight long nose pliers... Last season I found a pair of long nose 9 inch real Vice Grips and it's my go to fishing pliers.. After each trip I wipe them down with an oily rag.. They can cut line and hooks...

Wow.... That's crazy... Assuming you didn't try to bend a railroad spike... That's noooo Bueno. 

To those poo pooing in this vid, asking why... 

You better believe I'm gonna torque on a set of pliers when I get them... I don't want to find out in the wild they're not up to task. 

I don't blame him for that at all. 

I blew up a set of sargents cutting a 4x 9/0 gamakatsu octopus hook, after cutting a slew of others... I needed to know it's limitations. 

I use pliers to open up siwash hooks to install them on plugs. The smaller end of the siwash should require more pressure than the business end to open up. 

Grabbing the barbed end of the hook an should give you more leverage and should be easier on the pliers. 

Which size were they?

They shouldn't fail, that being said I think using them to deliberately test their limits might not be a warranty claim. 

2 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Which size were they?

They shouldn't fail, that being said I think using them to deliberately test their limits might not be a warranty claim. 

That's the largest 7.5 offshore version.  It's not the jaw that failed, it's the center pivot ring.  Whatever he is doing broke the center pivot mechanism.  For a offshore plier, I would expect a bit tougher. 

27 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Which size were they?

I’m pretty sure a crappy 3/0 hook is well within the advertised “big game 7.5”” limits.

I could’ve straightened the same hook with my two fingers.