SeaZen 21

Striper spin jigging rod

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I’m looking for a spinning outfit for striper jigging. Will probably pair it with a Spinfisher 5500 (if I can find it) or something similar. Don’t want slow pitch as I have that covered. Don’t want conventional...also have that covered. So looking to fill this niche. 

What do you guys use?  I don’t want to break the bank, but don’t really have a ceiling on budget. I’ve looked (online only - nothing in hand yet) at Penn carnage 2 jigging, okuma cedros and andros, trevala, and mojo jig. 

Thinking 6’6, spinning, Med heavy. What do you like?

TIA

I own the Carnage 2 and Trevala and they’re both fine rods. Any of the options you’ve mentioned would be great. Go to a well equipped store and spend some time with them. 

Trevalas are great jigging rods, and I own the 6'6 MH. I own a 7'2 Lamiglas Black Salt and it's my favorite spinning rod. The tip is a bit soft, but the rod is a pleasure to fish with. 

8 mins ago, ksong said:

Any light rod is OK for striper jigging. How light is depending on how light lures you use.

What would you recommend in your lineup for jersey stripers. Prob max 5-6 oz jigs

1 min ago, SeaZen 21 said:

What would you recommend in your lineup for jersey stripers. Prob max 5-6 oz jigs

6'8" Black Hole Charter Special Slow Pitch rod

6'9" Black Hole Challenger Bank UL rod

7' Black Hole Challenger Bank L rod

Yes, I understand. 

I like the charter special slow pitch. I know I said no to slow pitch, but was ruling out conventional/acid wrap as I have that already. Didn't think about spinning slow pitch.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, SeaZen 21 said:

Yes, I understand. 

I like the charter special slow pitch. I know I said no to slow pitch, but was ruling out conventional/acid wrap as I have that already. Didn't think about spinning slow pitch.

You don't have to do slow pitch jigging with the slow pitch jigging rods. We do fast jigging with the slow pitch jigging rods for yellowtail or AJ with great success.

Edited by ksong

6 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

6 to 8 oz jigs scream conventional 

i’d say personal preference if jigging on a boat.  if i’m ever jigging that heavy for bass i’m likely using a gossa 8k on a trevala 6’6” MH.  yes, talica 12 or 16 works great too, but OP said “spinning”.