Danny Branch

Travel Rods discussion

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

If you go on a Airplane  you want a 4 pc rod.    It fits in your suitcase . (  9’ = 2’ 3”  X 4pcs. )   In the overhead it may not fit. Depends on your bag. . 
I don’t take my 3 pc rods any more because the don’t fit in the suitcase ?  Just a little to long . 
The best thing is , no more broken rod tips from being check and then stuffed back in the rod tube by security 

50 mins ago, ksong said:

I thought Daiwa and Shimano rods are mass production and they rarely go for high quality rods. :)

No actually that's not true. If you look at some of the higher-end Daiwa and Shimano rods they could be well into the thousands. And they are well worth it. Have you ever had a Daiwa more-than in your hand? It's unbelievable and would blow away all the custom rods.

5 mins ago, ccb said:

If you go on a Airplane  you want a 4 pc rod.    It fits in your suitcase . (  9’ = 2’ 3”  X 4pcs. )   In the overhead it may not fit. Depends on your bag. . 
I don’t take my 3 pc rods any more because the don’t fit in the suitcase ?  Just a little to long . 
The best thing is , no more broken rod tips from being check and then stuffed back in the rod tube by security 

And the telescopic rods are even smaller.

5 mins ago, DaveC said:

No actually that's not true. If you look at some of the higher-end Daiwa and Shimano rods they could be well into the thousands. And they are well worth it. Have you ever had a Daiwa more-than in your hand? It's unbelievable and would blow away all the custom rods.

How much is Daiwa or Shimano telescope rod ?

33 mins ago, ksong said:

How much is Daiwa or Shimano telescope rod ?

You can get them for 200 and then for 2000, depending on the quality. Solid carbon rods are more.

2 hours ago, DaveC said:

The 450 is too long in my opinion. You only need a 405. Size 30 is too light too. You would want 33 at least. I would recommend 33 - 405. That holds true with the surf Lander 2. Bear in mind though even though they rate with the same numbers, Daiwa and Shimano vary as to models with these specifications. In other words a 33 405 Tri beam is totally different than a 33 405 ballistic, is totally different than a 33 405 prime surf. Again, I would recommend to 33405 Prime surf as you will find that it is perfect for roosterfish Jacks, Etc. You'll be hard-pressed to find another Rod that you can carry on the plane in such a small package that will do exactly what you want. Especially at that dollar value.

plus 1 on the above

I fish the 33-405 Prime Surf

Problem with may of the 4 piece travel rods (Okuma, Daiwa Ardito, Assassin Amia) is that the length of the butt section is very short. When you go as long as 11' and 4 piece that's pretty much a given design situation.  Does any one know if any of the newer Assassin Spin Zero 3 piece 11' surf rods have a longer butt section?  Looks like some of them maybe do but which ones?  I have a 2 piece Amia (older one 11' 1-2.5 oz) and the butt is also too short, although there was no reason that it had to be made that way, as a two piece 11' rod could have used a long butt design.

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, ksong said:

I will test the Black Hole telescope rods for big striper or drum this summer.  After watching the videos, you decide whether they are junk or not. :) 

Not all airplanes have big enough  overhead bins for 5' rod.

Traveling here in the US never had an issue as long as the rod is a 50/50 split 10ft and short as carry on.

I got rid of all my purpose built 3-piece or more travel rods as they served no purpose once I learned airlines don't care about the rods so long as you can fit them in the over head bin or in the space between the fuselage and the window.

I can not speak for international flights, I will defer to you on that.

But, any other domestic jetliner has room in the over head bins.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

24 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Traveling here in the US never had an issue as long as the rod is a 50/50 split 10ft and short as carry on.

I got rid of all my purpose built 3-piece or more travel rods as they served no purpose once I learned airlines don't care about the rods so long as you can fit them in the over head bin or in the space between the fuselage and the window.

I can not speak for international flights, I will defer to you on that.

But, any other domestic jetliner has room in the over head bins.

This is true. I fly to Florida a couple times a year and I always see people carrying on two piece rods just held together with rubber bands.

Also if you want to fit a travel rod in your suitcase then get a long wheeled duffel bag style suitcase. I have a 3 piece 7’ rod in tube and it fits in my checked bag just fine. I throw a small tackle bag with pliers and knife in there as well and then put the reel in my carry on bag so it doesn’t get crushed. Never had any issues. 

25 mins ago, z-man said:

This is true. I fly to Florida a couple times a year and I always see people carrying on two piece rods just held together with rubber bands.

Also if you want to fit a travel rod in your suitcase then get a long wheeled duffel bag style suitcase. I have a 3 piece 7’ rod in tube and it fits in my checked bag just fine. I throw a small tackle bag with pliers and knife in there as well and then put the reel in my carry on bag so it doesn’t get crushed. Never had any issues. 

You probably saw me.:)

I had a long conversation with a friend of mine that works for an airline as a supervisor for stewards about traveling with fishing gear a long while ago.

What they told me has made traveling with fishing gear so much easier.

She summed it up like this, as long as it fits, bring it. They don't care.

I appreciate the fact that the 2-piece rods I use for travel with are the same rods I use day in and day out on my home waters. Having that level of familiarity with your fishing gear improves your fishing outcomes, performance, and understanding of what your gear can actually accomplish. Your gear is meant to be an extension of your body, you don't get that when your rod is subject to use only a couple weeks out of a year, if that.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 1/17/2020 at 4:52 PM, ccb said:

The thing is, the Morethan, Surflander and other travel rods are so much better suited for plugging roosters, jacks, Mahi, cubera, etc than any other two piece rods of their size and most companies don't even make a 13 foot lightweight plugging rod. That size is imperative for most of this type of fishing and trust me, there is a difference between 11 and 12's and a 13.4. The difference is the sweet spot mostly. The sheer weight makes a difference too. These travel rods have changed the way most of us have targeted these fish. We used to take our 11 and 12s which had a sweet spot of 3 and 4 and now we've abandoned those and went to these 13 pluses that have a better sweet spot of 2 to 2.5, which is what we are throwing. I have stood next to guys with custom 12s and they could not reach fish that I could, despite being bigger in stature.

Edited by DaveC

On 1/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, DaveC said:

The 450 is too long in my opinion. You only need a 405. Size 30 is too light too. You would want 33 at least. I would recommend 33 - 405. That holds true with the surf Lander 2. Bear in mind though even though they rate with the same numbers, Daiwa and Shimano vary as to models with these specifications. In other words a 33 405 Tri beam is totally different than a 33 405 ballistic, is totally different than a 33 405 prime surf. Again, I would recommend to 33405 Prime surf as you will find that it is perfect for roosterfish Jacks, Etc. You'll be hard-pressed to find another Rod that you can carry on the plane in such a small package that will do exactly what you want. Especially at that dollar value.

What size reel do you like on the Daiwa Primes? 

52 mins ago, Danny Branch said:

What size reel do you like on the Daiwa Primes? 

I think the speed of the Reel is more important than the size. I use a 14000 Shimano Stella with one of my rods. And a 6500 or 7500 Daiwa Saltiga dogfight with the other.

I just carry on hand back from my local airline in a tube last night. A bloody 480 3pcs Surf rod.

IMG_20200119_115249.jpg

IMG_20200119_115314.jpg

Edited by Pierce