Danny Branch

Travel Rods discussion

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

i have a st croix legend trek.  great rod but not that heavy. 

if you can find one (?) shimano made a 9’-10’ multi-tip option “beastmaster” travel rod in the 90s.  it breaks down into 5 pieces - short enuf to fit nice INTO regular luggage.  i’ll try to take some pics and etc later.  i highly recommend this rod if you can find one.

11 hours ago, stripedbassjeff said:

. You want to stay away from telescope, not enough backbone and crappy guides. 

You haven't seen high quality telescope rods yet. :) Most telescope rods are cheap and use cheap material.

I might introduce high quality Black Hole telescope rods in the future. 

9 mins ago, ksong said:

You haven't seen high quality telescope rods yet. :) Most telescope rods are cheap and use cheap material.

Kil, Travel size that can fit in carry on luggage or overhead compartment on a airplane would be sweet.

1 min ago, VitaminDee said:

Kil, Travel size that can fit in carry on luggage or overhead compartment on a airplane would be sweet.

The telescope rods can fit for carry on.  I got to test the rods for big fish first. :)

On 1/14/2020 at 1:56 AM, tand331 said:

I had the same problem last year before traveling to FL.  I found out that even with a 4-piece travel rod you still have to keep it in a container and check it in. So I decided to bring my 50-50 split 9 footer. As long as your rod tube is less than 8 feet (96 inches), they will have no problem to check it in as a regular luggage ($30 for American Airline).  I'm sure a regular 11 footer can fit in these tubes, and they should perform better than any traveler rods. 

You don't need to check a 9ft or shorter rod with a 50/50 split so long as you fly Southwest or Delta. Actually, a 10ft rod with a 50/50 split fits in all overhead bins without issue. Rods are excepted as carry on items, just ditch the case.

Heck, the first, last, and only time we took Spirit Airlines I just took my rod as a carry on item.

The airlines don't care so long as the rod fits the overhead bins.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, ksong said:

I would rather see some solid 50/50 split rods.

I can use a 50/50 rod under 10ft for travel and in my home waters.

There is no need for a rod that breaks down into more then 2-pieces or a junk telescopic rod for any air travel here in the US.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

On 1/14/2020 at 8:50 AM, VitaminDee said:

If thats the case, i will probably pack my 50/50 10ft split rod to bring with me if i have to check it in anyways. Going to Honolulu the end of March so that'll free some cash i was going to use on a travel rod.

You won't have any issues with that rod as s carry on item. 

I have the okuma travel surf rod 10' 2-6oz that is a decent rod so far. For a 4 piece rod I find the ferrules stay together well and dont require constant adjustment. 

I will test the Black Hole telescope rods for big striper or drum this summer.  After watching the videos, you decide whether they are junk or not. :) 

Not all airplanes have big enough  overhead bins for 5' rod.

Edited by ksong

On 1/14/2020 at 11:13 AM, ksong said:

I don't agree. Daiwa and Shimano have quite a few 100% high carbon fiber rods. I have a Shimano surf Lander and it isn't of impeccable quality

On 1/13/2020 at 9:51 PM, Danny Branch said:

I am looking for a travel rod, hopefully on that can be carried on. I am currently leaning towards the Daiwa Ardito 11' MH. I have read quite a bit about it here but want to see what folks think about other sticks. Are there any other 11'+ multipiece or telescopic rods you folks like? I am looking for something I can cast 120 yrd and fight big fish. 

Thanks

Dan, if you are looking for a telescopic Rod that will handle a rooster fish very well I would look at the Daiwa Prime surf. It is inexpensive but he's pretty darn good for what I am talking about. I tell guys all the time about this rod and everyone that buys one that catches roosters with it loves it. The only drawback is you have to take it down every trip or it will solidify and you'll never get it closed. I mean every day. LOL

5 mins ago, DaveC said:

Dan, if you are looking for a telescopic Rod that will handle a rooster fish very well I would look at the Daiwa Prime surf. It is inexpensive but he's pretty darn good for what I am talking about. I tell guys all the time about this rod and everyone that buys one that catches roosters with it loves it. The only drawback is you have to take it down every trip or it will solidify and you'll never get it closed. I mean every day. LOL

Do you have any experience with the Prime T30-450? Any notion of casting weight, speed, power? 

Thanks 

7 mins ago, Danny Branch said:

Do you have any experience with the Prime T30-450? Any notion of casting weight, speed, power? 

Thanks 

The 450 is too long in my opinion. You only need a 405. Size 30 is too light too. You would want 33 at least. I would recommend 33 - 405. That holds true with the surf Lander 2. Bear in mind though even though they rate with the same numbers, Daiwa and Shimano vary as to models with these specifications. In other words a 33 405 Tri beam is totally different than a 33 405 ballistic, is totally different than a 33 405 prime surf. Again, I would recommend to 33405 Prime surf as you will find that it is perfect for roosterfish Jacks, Etc. You'll be hard-pressed to find another Rod that you can carry on the plane in such a small package that will do exactly what you want. Especially at that dollar value.

Edited by DaveC

1 min ago, DaveC said:

The 450 is too long in my opinion. You only need a 405. Size 30 is too light to. You would want 33 at least. I would recommend 33 - 405. That holds true with the surf Lander 2. Bear in mind though even though they rate with the same numbers, Daiwa and Shimano very as two models with these specifications. In other words a 33 405 Tri beam is totally different than a 33 405 ballistic, is totally different than a 33 405 prime surf. Again, I would recommend to 33405 Prime surf as you will find that it is perfect for roosterfish Jack's, Etc. You'll be hard-pressed to find another Rod that you can carry on the plane in such a small package that will do exactly what you want. Especially at that dollar value.

Thanks bud. 

1 hour ago, DaveC said:

I don't agree. Daiwa and Shimano have quite a few 100% high carbon fiber rods. I have a Shimano surf Lander and it isn't of impeccable quality

I thought Daiwa and Shimano rods are mass production and they rarely go for high quality rods. :)

Edited by ksong