Danny Branch

Travel Rods discussion

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I am looking for a travel rod, hopefully on that can be carried on. I am currently leaning towards the Daiwa Ardito 11' MH. I have read quite a bit about it here but want to see what folks think about other sticks. Are there any other 11'+ multipiece or telescopic rods you folks like? I am looking for something I can cast 120 yrd and fight big fish. 

Thanks

6 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

I beieve the st croix travel is worth mentioning. No experiences with the ardito but i’ve only seen them in a ML version

Have you fished the St. Croix? 

I have the tfo gis series travel rods. Just broke it last year. It felt great, I just think there was a manufacturing defect. You want to stay away from telescope, not enough backbone and crappy guides. 

I checked out the diawa and thought it would be a great option. Tge price was rightvand it looked  like quality rod.

I would say stick with 3 piece. Looking for trouble with a 4 piece.

1 hour ago, Danny Branch said:

Have you fished the St. Croix? 

Eh not personally the travel rod but i owned the one piece 7ft and its one of my favorite 7ft rods. Super light and pretty sensitive for the $. I’d check it out or give the tsunami a peek

11 ft and big fish and travel rod limits you to very few choices and they are all very expensive. Century make a 12'6 travel rod for 800, daiwa makes tournament ballistic for 400-500 all 3 piece rods, zenaq also make some decent travel rod.

2 hours ago, Danny Branch said:

I am looking for a travel rod, hopefully on that can be carried on. I am currently leaning towards the Daiwa Ardito 11' MH. I have read quite a bit about it here but want to see what folks think about other sticks. Are there any other 11'+ multipiece or telescopic rods you folks like? I am looking for something I can cast 120 yrd and fight big fish. 

Thanks

See if you can get your hands on the 11' Assassin Amia Zero 4 piece. Stateside can find them here: https://www.gticecream.com/online-store/assassin-travel-surf-rods/

Posted (edited) · Report post

I own this one and its a beast of a rod... I pair it with a 5000 or 8000 Stradic FJ depending on what I'm chasing!

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 9.24.36 AM.png

Edited by fdavis

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can't speak to the surf rods but i liked the Ardito 7' casting enough I picked up a spinning version to have on hand for my next trip.

Edited by nfnDrum

I had the same problem last year before traveling to FL.  I found out that even with a 4-piece travel rod you still have to keep it in a container and check it in. So I decided to bring my 50-50 split 9 footer. As long as your rod tube is less than 8 feet (96 inches), they will have no problem to check it in as a regular luggage ($30 for American Airline).  I'm sure a regular 11 footer can fit in these tubes, and they should perform better than any traveler rods. 

I think the travel rod question better ask the local air agency to see the maximum length that we can carry on the plane. Over my local air carrier, I can hand carry in a 5'5" rod case. So I can always bring around my 3 pieces Surf Rods.

I bought a tsunami 3 piece that won't  fit in suitcase so it's staying home.

Bought a 4 piece Goture (never heard of) 8 ft anf 1/4 to 1-1 1/4 sweet rod feels like 1 oz will max it.

Bought a collapsible 11 ft Goture up to 2oz don't think much of this stick.

They where both cheap can see the 11 staying in Cuba, leaving tomorrow.   

6 hours ago, tand331 said:

I had the same problem last year before traveling to FL.  I found out that even with a 4-piece travel rod you still have to keep it in a container and check it in. So I decided to bring my 50-50 split 9 footer. As long as your rod tube is less than 8 feet (96 inches), they will have no problem to check it in as a regular luggage ($30 for American Airline).  I'm sure a regular 11 footer can fit in these tubes, and they should perform better than any traveler rods. 

If thats the case, i will probably pack my 50/50 10ft split rod to bring with me if i have to check it in anyways. Going to Honolulu the end of March so that'll free some cash i was going to use on a travel rod.