sauerkraut

F-150: Idiot Lights

43 posts in this topic

2013 FORD F-150  TRUCK .  305 V8.  110,000 miles.

Two months ago, at around 107,000 miles, I had an intermittent engine warning light appear on the dashboard instrument panel.  I must emphasize intermittent, under no particular pattern about when it would appear, or not.  This has persisted, again intermittently, even to this present time.  The truck continues to run perfectly, powerfully, with visibly clean exhaust, and not burning oil.  Odometer gas mileage is a consistent, 17 to even 18+ mpg.

I had the Ford Dealership evaluate this situation at 108,000 miles, along with an oil change/maintenance at this time.  Their diagnostic disclosed a No. 7 cylinder "misfiring",  and compression down 7 per cent.  Empirically, they said they replaced the No. 7 spark plug, and also some other parts referable to this cylinder on the "top end".  This empiric service, and empiric replacement of parts cost me $580; however, it did not fix the engine service warning diagnostic issue.  They recommended a new engine:  Cost:  $10,000 roughly. 

The truck continues to run perfectly as described above.  Therefore, I am seeking other opinion about this dilemma.

About a week ago, at 110,000 miles, to my surprise, an engine oil warning light appeared:  "Change engine oil soon".  I was surprised because I have only driven the truck about another 2,000 miles since its last oil change, as described above.  Upon checking the dipstick oil, I noted that the oil appeared clean as expected for 2,000 miles use; and of course, the reservoir was full.  And the truck continues to run perfectly.

Two days ago, The engine oil warning light warning became more ominous-- saying: "Engine Oil Change Required".  Or something to that effect.  Being the weekend, I changed the oil myself-- 7 quarts new 5W-20.  I also saved a mid-drainage quart or so of oil for inspection by a competent mechanic , or engine oil analysis if indicated.  Changing the engine oil did not solve any of the engine service warning indicators as described above.  And the truck continues to run perfectly.

I am wondering if the engine sensor/warning system is defective-- in other words:  A False Positive.  I remember when these systems started being installed on new vehicles, they seemed to malfunction often enough that they were nicknamed "idiot lights".

Any help would be most appreciated.

Replies appreciated.

1.  Location:  Falmouth, Cape Cod.

2.  I believe the "coil pack" was also one of the parts also empirically replaced in that $580 assessment I mentioned by the Ford dealership.

3.  Can an amateur (meaning myself) reset this oil longevity ?

4.  Yes, oil pressure always looks good.

How To Reset The Oil Life on 2011-2016 Ford F-150

To restoring oil life on 2011-2015 Ford F-150, conform to the following instructions:

• Turn the ignition to the “on” position, but do not start the engine.
  • Use the directional pad on the steering wheel and scroll through the settings area under the heading menu
  • Go to Settings > Vehicle > Oil Life Reset
  • Push and hold OK until it resets to 100%
  • Turn off the ignition and then restart the engine

For more details, please watch the following video:

Thank you, Mr. Plum Fishing.  I ran out to the truck and did the Oil Life Reset.

So, that Idiot Light indicator is now off.  Now, I'll be interested to see how long this mileage/new oil oil lasts, until or if... the oil warning light triggers again.  Indeed, I have never triggered an oil change warning light even driving the vehicle 5,000 miles, much less having it start in under 2,000.

Therefore, I am back to square one:  A normal running truck with the service engine soon light on in the instrument panel.  And the proposed remedy is a new engine !! ?? 

As dumb as this sounds, my check engine light was on about 2 years ago (this is in a 2008 Jeep Cherokee), and my gas cap apparently wasn’t getting a good seal. New gas cap and was resolved.  
Hopefully your issue is something as screwy as that. 
Best of luck, sir. 

Either buy yourself a code reader or take it to an Autozone or advance auto and let them read the code and tell you what it is.  At that point you can research it yourself and probably fix it.  Most times it easy or stupid.

As long as it's not flashing it shouldn't be anything major

I had a problem with my Jeep, Replaced the gas cap , problem solved. You should replace the cap every 5 years. It's part of the emision system.

I had a similar issue with my 98 Expedition.......one of the connectors was corroded, and when that was replaced, issue went away.  Better than a $10,000 engine replacement.......

Next time have the mechanic swap the coil pack and injector to another cylinder and see if the misfire goes to the swapped cylinder.  If the misfire still exists you would have saved the new parts price along with no reason pay labor to swap the parts back. 

17 hours ago, DerrickT said:

Either buy yourself a code reader or take it to an Autozone or advance auto and let them read the code and tell you what it is.  At that point you can research it yourself and probably fix it.  Most times it easy or stupid.

As long as it's not flashing it shouldn't be anything major

Thank you all for the help.  

1.  No, the service engine light NOT flashing.

2.  Somebody else mentioned a faulty gas cap issue.  However, the F-150 does not have a gas cap per se-- rather a flapper valve.

3.  The Ford Dealership/Stealership original code read:   See Attachment.

IMG_7075.JPG

I was gonna ask if they did the leak down test, which is pointing toward the valves. Now if they put oil in the cylinder, performed the leak down test or compression test again and leakage went down compression goes up then it’s piston rings. If it stayed the same then it’s a valve issue. Sometimes it could just be carbon build up on the valves or worse case burnt valves. There’s a lot going on here with your engine but it doesn’t sound like it’s shot. You can try a carbon service, throw a bottle of marvel mystery oil in gas and one in the engine. Don’t ask why the stuff is a Mystery but it works magic. Good luck