stroftswank

Help me pick a fly line for beach snook

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

At high tide on the beach in Sanibel I always like a clear intermediate sink tip with floating running line like Wulff BTT. Amazing how many people you see casting right over the trough. On the backside like when Blind Pass is a pass, I like a floater to let incoming tide drift snapping shrimps under the mangroves and to use gurglers or poppers at night. I like a 9 with the floater to pull them away from the mangroves and an 8 on the beach.

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Gman

Are your 8 wts under rated as std AAFTM 10 wt is 280 grains.

300 would kill my 8 wts.

Mike

This is exactly why I am looking for a line in the area of 230 grains for the first 30 feet, which is already half a line size over weight. Shopping for lines is dizzying. The floater I use on my 8 weight is a wulff triangle taper rated at 220 gr I believe. This is my perfect comfort range.  I am a lower intermediate levelcaster and I can comfortably carry 40 feet of line and shoot another 30 feet with double haul in the wind with this line.

i understand there will be passers by on the beach and I won’t be able to backcast 50 feet of line, but i don’t expect on the beach to have to make 75 foot casts to cruising fish.  Am I wrong?  In my mind I think with 20 feet of line out the rod plus an 8-10 ft leader, I should only need to shoot another 10 feet to be casting at fish.  A 300-330 grain line for a 2-3 inch schminnow just sounds like overkill that will rob me of line speed and spook the fish as it lands on the water.

Sounds like you have your rod dialled in. So I don’t think you are wrong.

You can keep forty feet of line in the air that puts you at a higher ability level than you give yourself credit for. You will be fine with long belly lines to if you ever need them. Short belly lines better if you only wish to put 20 feet into the air. Trade off of course is they touch down not so lightly.

I think you have got it sorted.

Have at it.

mike

22 mins ago, stroftswank said:

This is exactly why I am looking for a line in the area of 230 grains for the first 30 feet, which is already half a line size over weight. Shopping for lines is dizzying. The floater I use on my 8 weight is a wulff triangle taper rated at 220 gr I believe. This is my perfect comfort range.  I am a lower intermediate levelcaster and I can comfortably carry 40 feet of line and shoot another 30 feet with double haul in the wind with this line.

i understand there will be passers by on the beach and I won’t be able to backcast 50 feet of line, but i don’t expect on the beach to have to make 75 foot casts to cruising fish.  Am I wrong?  In my mind I think with 20 feet of line out the rod plus an 8-10 ft leader, I should only need to shoot another 10 feet to be casting at fish.  A 300-330 grain line for a 2-3 inch schminnow just sounds like overkill that will rob me of line speed and spook the fish as it lands on the water.

Whatever works for you.... if you like to throw 230 then get one that is that weight. I was just giving the 3 clear tip (I) lines that I have found to cast nicely & have no running line tangles.  I also don't like to make 6 or 8 false casts, hence my preference for heavier lines.

The Wulff Lost Tip WF8 is around 243gr

The SA Sonar Hover WF8 is around 225 - may be hard to find as they have been changing their lineup a bit in the Sonars. 

The Cortland Ghost Wf9 is around 240gr & the WF8 is around 210

Gman, Mike, everyone, thank you for your advice.  I’ve narrowed choice down to two lines.  Rio Direct Core Flats Pro with 6 ft clear intermediate or wulff lost tip with 12 foot clear tip.

i have always been a big fan of wulff lines, but don’t know if I want 12 feet of sinking line for beach snook.  I think that 6 feet of sinking line will probably be ideal for the depth and 12 feet will be a lot of additional surface tension on the pickup.  With a six foot sink tip and 8-10 feet of leader, I’ll have roughly 15 feet of clear line.

The Rio six foot sink tip is appealing because of the short length of sinking line for pickup. The advantage to the 12 ft is I’ll also be fishing canals for peacocks and may want the added depth, but I suppose I could just use a floating life with sinking Versi-leader for that application.

Late April, water temp will be in high 70’s.  The feeding snook will be around any structure and along the very edge where the water meets the beach.  As skinny as you think.  Use a floater, a 12’ leader, at max a 25# flouro bite tippet and a small sparse olive and white clouser.  Do not get above the feeding fish, stay ahead of them.  Remember, you are not the only person fishing them, so while they may not spook much, they are wary and aware.  

Mike in Naples

3BA38FA7-CA60-4159-91DE-7A4D9B489273.jpeg