Drew C.

Striped bass bonus tag programs

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Surfratiam said:

No, I haven’t been involved or witnessed a slaughter on the beach like that. I fish mostly at night. But I don’t think the numbers are correct, look at a few days like that on the beach compared to the charters and party boats slaughter for weeks, before spawn, after spawn, out in the rips in Montauk, etc. etc.  no way that the beach angler is close to the for hire group in causing or killing bass. 

Keep in mind the rec figures also includes those that go out on private boats.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

there is zero enforcement on IBSP,those rangers are dopes waiting for their pension

Those guys, the state park police, are a huge joke. Completely useless and a waste of taxpayer money. 

The old rangers, they were pretty  good. Some of them were a giant pain in the arse but that’s what you need done there. 

I fished that park a long time. It’s a real shame what it has become. 

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Those guys, the state park police, are a huge joke. Completely useless and a waste of taxpayer money. 

The old rangers, they were pretty  good. Some of them were a giant pain in the arse but that’s what you need done there. 

I fished that park a long time. It’s a real shame what it has become. 

Other'n a couple weeks at M ,IBML was my 2nd home during the fall run for many years.I feel kinda lost these days not doing that anymore.Back to steelhead I guess....

12 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Other'n a couple weeks at M ,IBML was my 2nd home during the fall run for many years.I feel kinda lost these days not doing that anymore.Back to steelhead I guess....

Damn shame. Between the ****** fishing and the misuse of the park I don’t know what I would do if I still lived there. Probably just be another NJ guy at the canal. 

4 mins ago, 27conch said:

What's been going on at IBSP?  I don't fish there a whole lot, so was just wondering?

Very little. I’ve fished there very few times since moving. My dad still fishes there. It’s poor, no where near what it was 10-20 years ago. 

Ok, I thought something else besides fishing was going on since guys were mentioning the rangers in poor regard.  Yeah, I fly fished it back in the day when it was really good.  Standing out on the bar and watching peanut bunker getting chased by big schools of  bass and blues.  So much fun..

55 mins ago, 27conch said:

Ok, I thought something else besides fishing was going on since guys were mentioning the rangers in poor regard.  Yeah, I fly fished it back in the day when it was really good.  Standing out on the bar and watching peanut bunker getting chased by big schools of  bass and blues.  So much fun..

It’s kind of lawless now. People driving on the beach w/o permits, people all over the dunes, tents, sleeping on the beach. It sucks. 

23 hours ago, 27conch said:

Surfratiams, I don't believe this is true.  NJ is the true killing state and for whatever reason, anglers can just not help themselves.  If you own a boat in NJ and fish for striped bass then you most likely are killing everything you legally can. People especially love to kill the really big fish for whatever reason..If there were only 10 bass left in the ocean, someone from NJ would kill them all, no doubt in my mind.

Very true statement. As a boat angler myself in SNJ the average boat angler mentality is that these fish have $1,000.00 bounties on them. There is no other explanation. My boat is C&R only with the exception of 1 fish between 28-32” for the whole year. No exception.  After the fall run I shared pictures with different anglers some I knew some I didn’t and I got the same response. “Why would you throw those back you’re supposed to keep them”. I’d explain the whole conversation jist and usually get a confused look and part ways. Even my own  uncle questioned why I would throw them back. I said have to release the big breeders if you want to catch these fish in the future. His response “breedings over they go in the box”. He doesn’t fish as much as he used to but I know all his buddies share this mentality of catch and kill. Not sure if it’s a pure lack of education in the topic or ignorance. But it’s all that “beach replenishment” killing these fish. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, nfd27 said:

Very true statement. As a boat angler myself in SNJ the average boat angler mentality is that these fish have $1,000.00 bounties on them. There is no other explanation. My boat is C&R only with the exception of 1 fish between 28-32” for the whole year. No exception.  After the fall run I shared pictures with different anglers some I knew some I didn’t and I got the same response. “Why would you throw those back you’re supposed to keep them”. I’d explain the whole conversation jist and usually get a confused look and part ways. Even my own  uncle questioned why I would throw them back. I said have to release the big breeders if you want to catch these fish in the future. His response “breedings over they go in the box”. He doesn’t fish as much as he used to but I know all his buddies share this mentality of catch and kill. Not sure if it’s a pure lack of education in the topic or ignorance. But it’s all that “beach replenishment” killing these fish. 

I’ve had the same exact experience as well. 

back in the late 2000s we were fishing one of the almost daily bunker blitzes in moco. A typical day saw dozens of 20-40lb fish taken and kept. Virtually everyone kept their limit. I caught grief a few times for putting fish back. I kept my share on back then but never kept one when fishing up there. I also remember an acquaintance keeping his limit daily, these were all big fish. Anyways, after one outing he walked off with his two 30’s and was complaining about it getting harder to find people to take the fish. I simply said ‘ya know, You are allowed to release them’. I might as well have been speaking Chinese. Completely clueless at that suggestion. 

its endemic. There’s zero regard for any resource. As the saying joes ‘you can’t fix stupid’... 

Edited by Drew C.