VitaminDee

Fishing Waikiki, recommendations?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Any recommendations on charters/guides or even surf fishing spots around Waikiki? I am going the End of March into the first week of April and would like to get the line wet. Just looking for recommendations on anything to make my fishing experience there enjoyable. Thanks in advance!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Surf fishing, not much. Oahu has slightly more than half of the total population, EVERYBODY fishes, and catch-and-release is not common.

For local wade fishing guides, visit Nervous Waters in Honolulu. Oahu has bonefish. the water is not flat-skinny like Florida or the Bahamas, and you'll probably do a lot of blind casting. NW will fix you up.

The big game of Hawaiian surf and shore are the 'ulua, giant trevally. The tackle used is huge, 4/0 and 6/0 reels loaded with mono (not braid) for slide-baiting. Google "slide baiting Hawaii" for more information. There may or may not be surf guides there - I don't know. Offshore is likely to be very, very huffy at this time of year, even on the lee side of Oahu.

Let us know how it went, when you get home.

Edited by BrianBM

I live there and only fish offshore!

Of course shore fish can be caught, but I’d rather catch fish in my spots when I visit my parents in a Texas.

There are sandy strips of beach in Waikiki where you can catch bonefish and jacks. Head out early before beach crowd and you need to check to see if Waikiki is even open this year. I believe every other year.

if you have base access by chance, shore fishing on Pearl is much better.

Don't even bother fishing from shore in Waikiki. You can charter a boat in Ala Moana, a short drive away. The bone fishing suggestion out in pearl is a good one, If you must fish from shore ride out to Makaha or Haliewa.

Bummer, I was hoping for more activity from shore. From what my wife is telling me. Most of my time will be in Honolulu so i will definitely will be looking into those suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Head out early before beach crowd and you need to check to see if Waikiki is even open this year. I believe every other year.

Waikiki open?  What does that mean.  Does it get "closed" somehow? 

Bring a dive mask, and check out Diamondhead, it’s a good walk, but we did it from downtown Honolulu. Surfing started on that beach! A member on the BST forum ( selling a Simms rodtube)  lives there, contact him.

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Waikiki open?  What does that mean.  Does it get "closed" somehow? 

Fishing is only open in Waikiki every other year. Beach is always open, but only open to fishing every other year.

35 mins ago, quan808 said:

Fishing is only open in Waikiki every other year. Beach is always open, but only open to fishing every other year.

I just googled it, it's open this year for fishing. I had a couple surf spots in mind from looking at the map but from what I'm reading and hearing a charter would be the best option. If I get the chance to drive to the other side or hop over to the other island I'll have my gear with me. 

1 hour ago, VitaminDee said:

I just googled it, it's open this year for fishing. I had a couple surf spots in mind from looking at the map but from what I'm reading and hearing a charter would be the best option. If I get the chance to drive to the other side or hop over to the other island I'll have my gear with me. 

It’s tough fishing. If you just want to relax and throw some small metal or rubbers should be  relaxing. Google map Waikiki and you will see a nice stretch of sand going from the beach into deep water. Fish on the edge of the reefs.

Worse case scenario check out the wildlife laying on the beach...

2 hours ago, quan808 said:

I'm curious.  When did that start?  Why was it done?  I spent the middle 60's on the island and don't remember guys fishing at Waikiki.  I did do a little wading and casting on Sand Island.  I guess that's all developed now. Was always a little leery about wading.  I was advised by the local guys to not wear light colored shoes or pants because of barracuda attacks.

12 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm curious.  When did that start?  Why was it done?  I spent the middle 60's on the island and don't remember guys fishing at Waikiki.  I did do a little wading and casting on Sand Island.  I guess that's all developed now. Was always a little leery about wading.  I was advised by the local guys to not wear light colored shoes or pants because of barracuda attacks.

They did that to give the fish time to recover instead of having constant pressure on them. I heard it has worked, and similar to that of GOM shut down after the oil rig disaster it allows nature a chance to reset.

If you snorkel around Waikiki, there are reef fish to be seen, not an abundance but gives you something to do. Also, a lot of turtles. They probably didn’t want people to go in there and wipe out populations of fish. When staying in Waikiki I can see fish swimming around by the wave breaks so there are fish I just had no desire to fight the crowds and I was on staycation with the family.

Edited by quan808

Curoious, if you were going to fish at PH what tackle would you use? I've had several trips there, always see some decent sized fish from shore at mid-lock in Waipahu, never did get a chance to fish though, too busy working. I'm heading there again in early February and maybe again in late April. I'd like to get a line wet. Lures? Travel rod recommendatioms?

If you plan to fish in the Waikiki area, you may want to get a copy of the fishing regulations from the State of Hawaii Department of Aquatic Resources.  I believe there is a section of Waikiki that is permanently closed to fishing (much like Hanauma Bay).  Another section is open only every other year.  All of this is explained in the regulation pamphlet which is available online.

18 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Surf fishing, not much. Oahu has slightly more than half of the total population, EVERYBODY fishes, and catch-and-release is not common.

For local wade fishing guides, visit Nervous Waters in Honolulu. Oahu has bonefish. the water is not flat-skinny like Florida or the Bahamas, and you'll probably do a lot of blind casting. NW will fix you up.

The big game of Hawaiian surf and shore are the 'ulua, giant trevally. The tackle used is huge, 4/0 and 6/0 reels loaded with braid (not mono) for slide-baiting.

Google "slide baiting Hawaii" for more information. There may or may not be surf guides there - I don't know. Offshore is likely to be very, very huffy at this time of year, even on the lee side of Oahu.

Let us know how it went, when you get home.

Just watched some slide baiting videos...what a weird technique, Basically casting a heavy sinker to anchor and sliding on bait after.. What # test do you think most of these guys are using? All the fish seem to be only about palm size. Hopefully the gear i bring will handle all types of fishing on the island. 

Edited by VitaminDee