Noshoes64

Mantis

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Weird thing I have only caught two  in my entire life both on the same day fishing a beach, Often found them in stomachs of stripers and fluke, I suspect they are everywhere.

For your first ever stripersonline post, this is a strange & interesting question. 

Why catch a mantis shrimp? To eat? As bait?

I think they mostly eat very small fish & crustaceans, so it would be difficult at best to catch one on a hook. A trap? 

33 mins ago, EricDice said:

For your first ever stripersonline post, this is a strange & interesting question. 

I think they mostly eat very small fish & crustaceans, so it would be difficult at best to catch one on a hook. A trap? 

Maybe as a pet. Lol

5 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Maybe as a pet. Lol

The ones we get (scaly tailed I believe) are pretty ugly, but a  peacock mantis shrimp would be a cool aquarium addition.

27 mins ago, C.Robin said:

The ones we get (scaly tailed I believe) are pretty ugly, but a  peacock mantis shrimp would be a cool aquarium addition.

I've seen videos of them in aquariums, probably best to keep them in a species only tank, they're vicious little predators.

Posted (edited) · Report post

In buzzards bay,  I find them at the end of the striper season.  First time was , the birds were hovering down in front of my house.  I though it was a school of bait and took out my plugging rod.  Then I saw the birds  drop a couple in the sand. It was low tide.   Mantis Shrimp, all about 8 inches long.  I thought it was their mating season?   They were all over the place?     I said the next times I see this I am going to pick them up and have a feast.   They was about 3years ago?

Last year I saw it also , but not as many.    My friend saw them also one day when fishing in a rocket area ? 
My other friend, saw them and made a suction pump with a plunger to suck them out of their house ( hole )  ? 
I don’t think he did that well. Their home is about 1’’ wide.  there are some video’s on Y Tube . 

Edited by ccb

3 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I've seen videos of them in aquariums, probably best to keep them in a species only tank, they're vicious little predators.

Big ones strike so hard they can actually break the glass of an aquarium

11 hours ago, squidder 329 said:

Weird thing I have only caught two  in my entire life both on the same day fishing a beach, Often found them in stomachs of stripers and fluke, I suspect they are everywhere.

There were thousands of them washed-up on the bay side beach here in NJ last fall. They make good Tog/Striper baits.I still have a crap load in my freezer.

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

Mantis shrimp are excellent eating. I've had them in sushi bars. There is a small commercial fishery for them in Italy, but local demand greatly exceeds supply.

They are good bait (so I read) and the late Lefty Kreh was keen on using flies that imitate them for bonefish and permit. If you are going to the Edison fly fishing show, stop by Rich Murphy's booth and watch him tie; his mantis flies are amazing.

Weakfish and fluke also love them. I’ve had several in tanks at school, amazing critters with beautiful eyes and fluorescent tail markings.