PissonDFS

Penn 706 greenie

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

How does this have anything to do with the post. All I was asking if anyone new a shop that does 706-704 modifications or drilling out to be specific. Then you sarcastically said haven’t heard of that model like I’m some newbie. Thanks 

My original response was an attempt to offer advise regarding adding clearance between spool and rotor, this is something that is commonly overlooked. YOU are the one one who mentioned another modification that I, as someone who has worked with these reels for a long time for a lot of people had never heard of. There was no sarcasm in my response as I was truly interested in what advantage using a spool from a different reel would give someone. 

16 hours ago, Dave T. said:

More important than the slots is increasing the clearance between rotor and spool by removing .050-.060 from the bottom edge of the spool!

I always thought it was the sand    that took off that edge. LOL. 

I have never heard of that modification as well, and I’m old enough to have received a new Penn 700 for my Confirmation present. I’d also like to know what the 850 spool mod does, performance wise. 

10 hours ago, PissonDFS said:

You have 1,312 post and never heard of the Penn 850, of maybe your a millennial. Either way they were the last of Penn spinning reels  that could take a beating 

I wish I was a millennial, I’d love to do this all over again.

7 hours ago, Dave T. said:

My original response was an attempt to offer advise regarding adding clearance between spool and rotor, this is something that is commonly overlooked. YOU are the one one who mentioned another modification that I, as someone who has worked with these reels for a long time for a lot of people had never heard of. There was no sarcasm in my response as I was truly interested in what advantage using a spool from a different reel would give someone. 

The original 706 spools would actually split occasionally if a big Tarpon would take you down to 1/4 spool. The drag pressure as you know increases from a full spool to 1/2 spool. This means the line would get so packed on the spool when fighting big fish. Were I grew up it wasn’t uncommon to loose 150-200 yards of line Tarpon fishing in the surf. So George from T&R tackle thinking outside of the box. Used different spool 

2 hours ago, Shag said:

I have never heard of that modification as well, and I’m old enough to have received a new Penn 700 for my Confirmation present. I’d also like to know what the 850 spool mod does, performance wise. 

Same here

Edited by Sudsy

3 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

The original 706 spools would actually split occasionally if a big Tarpon would take you down to 1/4 spool. The drag pressure as you know increases from a full spool to 1/2 spool. This means the line would get so packed on the spool when fighting big fish. Were I grew up it wasn’t uncommon to loose 150-200 yards of line Tarpon fishing in the surf. So George from T&R tackle thinking outside of the box. Used different spool 

So in other words he machined the skirt off the 850 spool to fit inside the 706 cup ??

1 hour ago, PissonDFS said:

The aluminum 850 spool would not split about. Don’t understand why this is hard to comprehend. But then again it’s the times. 

Height of the spool is what is hard to understand - I would think the 850, without the skirt, might still be taller than a the 706 spool - now we're into spool shaft length issues.

If the 850 spool does fit, will the 706 drag knob work or do you have to go to the 850 knob - in which case will the knob fit onto the 706 spool shaft ?

1 hour ago, PissonDFS said:

The aluminum 850 spool would not split about. Don’t understand why this is hard to comprehend. But then again it’s the times. 

Got it, I am guessing the the splitting was a result of older spinfisher spools being diecast. They were later changed to machined aluminum ( not sure of the timeline for the change) like the 850 spool

4 hours ago, PissonDFS said:

Once you made clear what the modification was and it’s purpose, I think everyone understood. It has nothing to do with comprehension. 

4 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Height of the spool is what is hard to understand - I would think the 850, without the skirt, might still be taller than a the 706 spool - now we're into spool shaft length issues.

If the 850 spool does fit, will the 706 drag knob work or do you have to go to the 850 knob - in which case will the knob fit onto the 706 spool shaft ?

I haven’t got that far as far as drag knob size.  Haven’t modified a 706 since the 80s. However I will find out and let you know. It’s a great setup for night time striper fishing using Metal, lips, SP minnows or bombers with the slow retrieve.