Fishbucket

Ponce Inlet

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Porktown said:

Thanks Reelfire!  When we get a bit closer to the date, I will get with you to see if schedules can match up.  We are going to have a bit of a busy week, that I will be fishing around my "work" schedule.  Likely not have a full day for fishing while there.  I am going to do my best to wet a line at some point every day for at least an hour.  We are meeting with realtors, property managers and touring a bunch of the beach towns between Jacksonville and Cocoa, to see if a rental property is a possibility for us.  If the realtors/property managers convince me that we'd have it rented enough to break even most years, with the ability to be in the area 2-3 weeks per year to fish as much as I want, and a place to retire to, it might just happen...  If not, then I get a week to check things out and wet a line as much as possible while there and try to avoid sharks while boogie boarding with the kids.

At this point, I am just looking for basic info to get gear together and daydream while it is 30 degrees outside here in Western PA...  I am assuming that it will be similar patterns to summers in NC?  With Spanish mackerel and bluefish in the surf early morning and late evenings (sling metals to mimic glass minnows).  With sand fleas or fish bites on high low rigs for whiting, pompano and black drum?  Guessing the lagoon is similar to the ICW there, with jigs to mimic shrimp and mullet, on their own or popping corks (live bait if I can find any)?  Hoping puppy drum, trout and flounder around?  Even more hoping some other fish that don't frequent NC are around.  Mangrove snappers, jack crevalle or snook.  Guessing the last one is more of a pipe dream and I'm pretty sure you guys mostly try to avoid the jacks.  I got one last year that was maybe 12" long and fought like it was 20".

Let me know if hot or not on my thoughts.  It would help on packing.  Usually when going to NC, I have about 200lbs of fishing gear packed into our SUV.  I am trying to get that down to about 10lbs in my suitcase.  Which means no cast net, no crabbing gear, narrowing down to 2 rods, and leaving 80% of my other tackle at home.  Which is all that I usually end up using in NC anyway...  Just every time I go, I end up using different gear.  Hopefully we find a place that works and has storage for me to have a stockpile of gear!

Ive done work from Jacksonville to Melbourne in all the big condos and time shares.

If it was me buying this would be my list of town to be in

1. Palm coast espically Hammock Dunes.

2. New Symrna Beach

3. Anywhere near Sebastin inlet

4. Ponce Inlet/ Wilbur By the Sea

5.Ormond Beach

6.. St Augustine

7 Flagler Beach

Anything on A1A from Ormond upto Palm Coast is nice and always rented.

Stay away from Jacksonville, Titusville Daytona Beach.

We could spend years in mosquito lagoon. Place blows me away.

On 1/20/2020 at 5:11 AM, Fishbucket said:

Thanks again ! 

was better than I would have done sitting on the couch. 

72FD610A-F341-41B8-899A-D1B5A453C7FE.jpeg

Last time I was there it was the 1970s and the roads were gravel or dirt in the side streets and it was like a jungle going onto the beach.

Hit the reef off sunglow pier today. Slammed weakfish sand trout porgies whiting and one snapper size bluefish. 

8 hours ago, reelfire said:

Hit the reef off sunglow pier today. Slammed weakfish sand trout porgies whiting and one snapper size bluefish. 

Oh, yeah... wait till I'm gone, then catch fish....

I see how you are.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Fishbucket said:

Oh, yeah... wait till I'm gone, then catch fish....

I see how you are.

Hey it was a friend of a friends last minute charter. Went with Capt. Marshall Wallott with New Legacy fishing Charters. Was a great trip even though we knew we d only have a few hours which turned into 90 mins because the weather came quicker than expected. Nailed 5 species of fish. Kept 20 something fish and threw 30 shorts back. Capt was spot on with his numbers and we bailed them from the very first drop till we had to haul ass home. Definatly going back out with him again. But also found out this reef is only a mile from shore and doable in kayaks which I plan to do and you are always welcome to come along.

Edited by reelfire

On 1/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, Porktown said:

Thanks Reelfire!  When we get a bit closer to the date, I will get with you to see if schedules can match up.  We are going to have a bit of a busy week, that I will be fishing around my "work" schedule.  Likely not have a full day for fishing while there.  I am going to do my best to wet a line at some point every day for at least an hour.  We are meeting with realtors, property managers and touring a bunch of the beach towns between Jacksonville and Cocoa, to see if a rental property is a possibility for us.  If the realtors/property managers convince me that we'd have it rented enough to break even most years, with the ability to be in the area 2-3 weeks per year to fish as much as I want, and a place to retire to, it might just happen...  If not, then I get a week to check things out and wet a line as much as possible while there and try to avoid sharks while boogie boarding with the kids.

At this point, I am just looking for basic info to get gear together and daydream while it is 30 degrees outside here in Western PA...  I am assuming that it will be similar patterns to summers in NC?  With Spanish mackerel and bluefish in the surf early morning and late evenings (sling metals to mimic glass minnows).  With sand fleas or fish bites on high low rigs for whiting, pompano and black drum?  Guessing the lagoon is similar to the ICW there, with jigs to mimic shrimp and mullet, on their own or popping corks (live bait if I can find any)?  Hoping puppy drum, trout and flounder around?  Even more hoping some other fish that don't frequent NC are around.  Mangrove snappers, jack crevalle or snook.  Guessing the last one is more of a pipe dream and I'm pretty sure you guys mostly try to avoid the jacks.  I got one last year that was maybe 12" long and fought like it was 20".

Let me know if hot or not on my thoughts.  It would help on packing.  Usually when going to NC, I have about 200lbs of fishing gear packed into our SUV.  I am trying to get that down to about 10lbs in my suitcase.  Which means no cast net, no crabbing gear, narrowing down to 2 rods, and leaving 80% of my other tackle at home.  Which is all that I usually end up using in NC anyway...  Just every time I go, I end up using different gear.  Hopefully we find a place that works and has storage for me to have a stockpile of gear!

porktown did you find a condo?   have two in daytona beach shores   that I may sell this year  have a one bedroom that I had rented last year 271 days the two br have not add

up the days yet  just doing taxes now but I stay in two br for 5 1/2 months  next to crabby joes   fishing pier / resturant   this is view from 2 br ocean front  and view from     

one br ocean view   two br has storage closet for owner in unit

Beach View.JPG

ec11afdb-51f2-436d-866d-586244032a04.1.10.jpg

Sonny - 

I have one reserved for our stay in NSB.  I haven't found any to purchase.  Still trying to figure out some things.  I want to take the week and explore the beach towns and decide which one we really want to be at.  We want 3BR, but finding it to be at the very top of our price range.  But if it rents out 270 days per year, then definitely in our price range...  I am trying to find some market averages of rentals.  This whole thing is way too confusing.  I just want a place to fish!!!  

Looks like you can't get much closer to a place to fish!

On 2/11/2020 at 10:04 AM, sonny two said:

porktown did you find a condo?   have two in daytona beach shores   that I may sell this year  have a one bedroom that I had rented last year 271 days the two br have not add

up the days yet  just doing taxes now but I stay in two br for 5 1/2 months  next to crabby joes   fishing pier / resturant   this is view from 2 br ocean front  and view from     

one br ocean view   two br has storage closet for owner in unit

Beach View.JPG

ec11afdb-51f2-436d-866d-586244032a04.1.10.jpg

Is that condo in the Hilton? I usually stay there when we visit the in laws in Ormond Beach.  I do well fishing there at night. 

On 1/30/2020 at 9:59 PM, reelfire said:

Ive done work from Jacksonville to Melbourne in all the big condos and time shares.

If it was me buying this would be my list of town to be in

1. Palm coast espically Hammock Dunes.

2. New Symrna Beach

3. Anywhere near Sebastin inlet

4. Ponce Inlet/ Wilbur By the Sea

5.Ormond Beach

6.. St Augustine

7 Flagler Beach

Anything on A1A from Ormond upto Palm Coast is nice and always rented.

Stay away from Jacksonville, Titusville Daytona Beach.

We could spend years in mosquito lagoon. Place blows me away.

1) Sebastian 

2) Ponce

3) New Smyrna

Maybe Ormond because the inlaws are there?

9 mins ago, ged said:

1) Sebastian 

2) Ponce

3) New Smyrna

Maybe Ormond because the inlaws are there?

Sebastin would be tops for fishing location. Biggest concern is condition of building you are buying in. Some are really good and some buildings have a lot of lipstick on the pig as they say.As for renting it out. Daytona rentals will bring higher prices during races and bike week. I think NSB and Ormond will bring you a consistently higher rental price

17 mins ago, reelfire said:

Sebastin would be tops for fishing location. Biggest concern is condition of building you are buying in. Some are really good and some buildings have a lot of lipstick on the pig as they say.As for renting it out. Daytona rentals will bring higher prices during races and bike week. I think NSB and Ormond will bring you a consistently higher rental price

I want to buy a place there. My inlaws rent. I am trying to convince the wife that we could buy a place, rent to her parents (save them money) and then have a place for us when they are gone. 

Then again, they may outlive me!

The past few weeks of research and working with a realtor and others that I know that own, have really taught me a good bit about the area, condo wise at least.  I was completely uneducated to the topic prior, so learning is relative.  Most towns or the condo associations themselves, do not allow rentals of less than a month at a time.  Ponce Inlet has some great looking condos for sale at some nice prices, but don't allow weekly rentals.  The ones that I have found in Flagler and Palm Coast, same.  Although some definitely rent weekly, but twice my price range.  Many other areas, as noted about the pig with lipstick.  Look nice, but in buildings that are visibly in need of repairs, that have "special assessments" lined up.  Many even noted in the listing.  I can't figure out NSB.  The sale prices do not reflect the rental prices.  The more math that I do, the more that beach condos sound like investing in boats... 

Me Id buy a boat. Put in a marina. Rent it out. If they want to go out hire a capt for the day and charge them.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:29 PM, reelfire said:

Ill take you around if you want. I ddint move here to June last year but Im in two fishing clubs now and learning a lot of the spots.

I'm out of the Oviedo area by ICF- what clubs are you in?  I need to get in on the intel sharing game (give and get) - this weather ahs ben kicking my butt