downset21

Extra washers Van Staal Service

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just had my VS250 services and returned to me.  It came back with this bag.  I am not sure what to do with it.  Is it typical to receive a bag of parts after sending out your reel for servicing?

DC8116B0-504E-4AE1-B794-9B4C10F91B76.jpeg

1 hour ago, PaddleTail said:

Those are the parts they changed/serviced. I believe they send you the old parts back as a “hey look, this is what we did”

True this what they have done everyone I have talked too

The only question I would ask “did you change the main seal?”  

That is the seal most prone to failure. 

1 hour ago, ged said:

Isn’t that in the zip lock in picture??

13 hours ago, ged said:

I can see the main seal in the bag

2 mins ago, BassPD said:

Looks like the service cost you a pretty penny 

It cost just over $100.  I had never had it serviced before (shamefully).  I was actually wondering if that was typical and if people do this every year.  I went through the Van Staal website and used one of the service centers that they list.  The gentleman from the tackle shop said it was a typical price for an annual servicing.  

1 hour ago, downset21 said:

It cost just over $100.  I had never had it serviced before (shamefully).  I was actually wondering if that was typical and if people do this every year.  I went through the Van Staal website and used one of the service centers that they list.  The gentleman from the tackle shop said it was a typical price for an annual servicing.  

always just serviced at home, not a difficult task

6 hours ago, downset21 said:

Annual service should cost no more than $50. Anyone who tells you something different is ripping you off. Looking at the parts they sent you back, they did more than the standard annual service. If you needed it or not, no one can tell since we don’t know why they did it. Van Staal used to rip me off year after year changing the line roller and charging good $$$ for it. One day I said enough is enough and I bought the service kit as well as the special kit to service the main seal. Since then the only one who can rip me off is myself.

One of the service center technician told me, don’t service your reel unless you feel something wrong with it. 

I have been self servicing VS for a long time and am continually surprised at what folks consider a "fair" price. There is a bearing in that photo as well as a main seal and main seal carrier O Ring plus the other seals. What you can't see is the possible disassembly of the spool and drag.

Can you do it yourself-Absolutely!! But you aren't going to do it without investment in the proper tools and I am not speaking of just the plastic wrench. I don't want to get into a "pissing  contest " with my friend Issac but $100 is more than fair for a PROPER service of a VS which includes a complete disassembly and inspection. It is probably 1.5 hours work and the shop has to guarantee it as well. 

"Ya Wanna Dance Ya Gotta Pay The Band!",

Marc