shu

1/2 Oz mirrolure for the surf

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Anyone have any success throwing sub 1 oz mirrolures out in the surf. We used it a lot in Florida and to great success but not really sure if it would be good out here in NJ 

It will catch.

Some years ago a bunch of SOL members persuaded the company (who makes it now, anyway?) to make a run of  Mirrolures in a particular purple-something shade.  We never did hear back, as to how well the lures produced, or didn't.

I have one from my father. I won't fish it, it's memorabilia.

They were a popular weakfish plug. Used to fish them alot. As the trout disappeared and the areas I fished became strictly a bass fishery. I stopped carrying them in favor of stouter plugs. They do catch bass.

I think they called the mirrolure pattern purple demon? I still have the one Plug gave me after fishing together one nite at IRI. I'll have to dig that one out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mirrolure makes some good lures. Durable, great action and not too pricey. What more could you ask for?

Edited by valentine

Posted (edited) · Report post

Probably my favorite lure to fish on the south shore on LI when conditions permit. They have different models which I have had success with, especially the M 65 and M 77. They cast well for a small plug and hold well in a light white water surf.

Edited by sandflea5

Very popular here in the surf (and inshore) for Specks.  Use the Heavydine MR18 (and the TT) versions in the surf.  Every B&T here features their “exclusive” colors - must be a good marketing tool for MirrOLure.  OH

Haven’t fished Indian River Delaware or Cape Hatteras since the Stripers resurgence in the north, but mirrorlures were must have lures for trout (weakfish) back then. No reason they wouldn’t work now. schoolie bass should be all over them. Especially before and after the main run. 

Plug (RIP) had a run of the largest purple demons made after they discontinued them. He had a good instruction thread on how to upgrade them here on SOL.

ML brought back the Purple Demon and even added i size larger.

In back waters I have done well with Mirrodines & Catch 2000s. 

As a kid in the 50s l did very well with Mirrorlures always had on hand in these 3 colors redhead - green top white belly with gold foil inside - blue top white belly with silver foil inside still have some of mirrorlures from that time, l still find them at garage sales.

11 hours ago, sandflea5 said:

Probably my favorite lure to fish on the south shore on LI when conditions permit. They have different models which I have had success with, especially the M 65 and M 77. They cast well for a small plug and hold well in a light white water surf.

This makes a LOT of sense.

Black back silver body, Mardi gras, electric chicken, and the clear have all produced well for me with specs. There's a million colors, everyone has their favorites. Just make sure to get the TT models and not the ones with scale patterns, the fish like em better. With a loop knot, just slowly reeling gives it a subtle side to side wobble that seems to work wonders on finicky ocean side trout. As the weather warms, I will be throwing them for schoolies in my new location.

4 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

How do you think the time tested Mirrolure stack up against the newer Yo-Zuri 3d Inshore Twitchbait ??

yo-zuri-r1348-3d-inshore-twitchbait-lure

I saw those the other day, the hot colors for mr17 and 18s never seems to be anything that looks like a bait fish. More about shade in the water that the fish sees than how it looks to us is my belief. Mirrolures have a cult following around me, cheaper than the Yozuri and already proven to work.