codfish

2020 Cape Cod squid infestation

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Here are a few  that might be kinda squiddley-lookin'

MK4 Designs flat-sided pencil, yet to be bathed:

IMG_1813.JPG.6c26c13b9b01be05e1786a503843b6d8.JPG

Unknown white pencil, ChefChris' take on a flat glide and, of course, arguably the most iconic squid plug ever.

IMG_1160.JPG.13211da794857d2a866a557804bd4959.JPG

A few more...

Winch, Linestretcher and a salmon-mack colored PK (I think) for topwater:

IMG_2330.JPG.a0dec41830608ed0fa6e48029958d140.JPG

When it's time to go below, two Bombers and an unknown Conrad with a handmade copper lip.  IMG_2333.JPG.a6bf70757d0be454a206a04cdee9d8b8.JPG

I've never fished any of those big-lipped deep swimmers before.  If they swim without any frantic motion it could work when backswimming it way out from an outlet.  (Seems like a pink or tan siwash tail would be mandatory, don't you think?)

I home brewed some stuff last winter.  Top was originally a blind off-white Anco darter.  The needle was a bright pink/white Salty's (I filled in the original eyes) and the pencil is in the original Gibbs colors.  I like the day-glow eyes, as crude as they are, so that's what got me started.  Then I found a can of copper-ish spray paint and went to town.  I drilled out the eyes, then added the day glow.  Lesson learned:  I would not have needed five coats of day glow if I'd simply applied primer to the eye sockets first.  Now I'm on the hunt for better day glow paint!

IMG_2334.JPG.ffe4a834b62bda774ba6bb1e48a35952.JPG

8 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Are you using straight tails because they better imitate what you think is the prey in a given spot or because they sink faster and stay deeper than paddle tails do?  (Or both?  Or other?)

As for BTs:

Every angler that I either know or have read about who successfully fishes a lot of BTs uses white ones 10:1 (or maybe more) over any other color

I use straight tails for a few reasons. They have a natural fishy action to them, they sink quickly, are easy to work and maintain in the strike zone, provide very little resistance for a quick retreive at the end of a drift, and possibly most importantly they replicate reasonably well all kinds of bait from squid to eels to a variety of long skinny baitfish. And in all situations I think black is a good color to start with. The fish are keyed in on the outline or shadow rather than the actual color of the bait at night and a dark bait gives them something to target.

As for bucktails I'm with you. I mostly fish straight white, especially in the ditch. In cloudy or turgid waters I'll sometimes throw yellow or chartreuse and black or red occasionally at night. I'll sometimes carry light over dark but have never really noticed it produced any better than plain white as far as bucktails are concerned.

1 hour ago, PlumFishing said:

Squid looking.  Haven't thrown yet.

IMG_5836.jpg

The white canal special. Back in the day before the seals got out of control and  before they put the new hardware and eyes on them, that's all I would throw after Memorial Day from Race Point once the sun came up. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:29 PM, Sandbar1 said:

I use straight tails for a few reasons. They have a natural fishy action to them, they sink quickly, are easy to work and maintain in the strike zone, provide very little resistance for a quick retreive at the end of a drift, and possibly most importantly they replicate reasonably well all kinds of bait from squid to eels to a variety of long skinny baitfish. And in all situations I think black is a good color to start with. The fish are keyed in on the outline or shadow rather than the actual color of the bait at night and a dark bait gives them something to target.

As for bucktails I'm with you. I mostly fish straight white, especially in the ditch. In cloudy or turgid waters I'll sometimes throw yellow or chartreuse and black or red occasionally at night. I'll sometimes carry light over dark but have never really noticed it produced any better than plain white as far as bucktails are concerned.

Before the paddletail craze i caught many nice fish on a black Ron z tail