codfish

2020 Cape Cod squid infestation

Rate this topic

150 posts in this topic

These are solid producers when the squid are in the ditch as well. Dont overlook fishing them in the mid water column anf parallel to the bank20200113_212905.jpg.53adfe2fc24d59f003859af17aea3041.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

Recently picked this up as part of a lot of plugs. Not a reverse atom but should still do some damage when the squid are around 20200113_202807.jpg.44b9eb11e61fdf7ebfe5ed7edece0a99.jpg20200113_202727.jpg.7936d4fea6c310c1ba382759c1239451.jpg

I do like the color .... which goes way back to the old Creek Chub Striper Strike in translucent amber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

These are solid producers when the squid are in the ditch as well. Dont overlook fishing them in the mid water column anf parallel to the bank20200113_212905.jpg.53adfe2fc24d59f003859af17aea3041.jpg

And solid producers even when the squid arent around in numbers :th:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 2:18 PM, codfish said:

2018 short fin squid moved in in big numbers, 2019 at times you could fill a 5 gallon bucket of them from shore, with warmer temps scientist are saying 2020 could cause an infestation of them around Cape Cod water, that said what will you use to imitate squid??

13CAC7D4-EBA0-4070-8382-75B80FE0799E.jpeg.94d19c6b5b41181b23a1703810beff06.jpeg

79762705_10220982329245978_3411792341994831872_o.jpg

Al Gag's also makes a paddle tail in the reddish brown squid color,  super effective on a jig head...…………...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Al Gag's also makes a paddle tail in the reddish brown squid color,  super effective on a jig head...…………...

sunset.jpg.4d2ac4306aa8e3705cf3543cae285560.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, codfish said:

 

9inchrattail528x705sh.jpg

Now that could be a killer color combo. Regardless of exact colors darker over lighter always works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bdowning said:

And solid producers even when the squid arent around in numbers :th:

Absolutely agree, just choose your color. I usually only throw pink if I've seen squid. Otherwise I normally throw black, red or some variation of dark color over lighter color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 6:51 PM, Southcoastphil said:

Many of my mates fish the ditch with only one lure on many days.  (Hard to believe, but they catch.)

 

White or ghost paddle tail on heads ranging from 3 to 5 oz.  They are usually on par with others using grren mack patterns in the same weights, and they outperform the green macks about 1/3 of the time.

 

Maybe that color imitates squid?

I usually only throw white paddle tails if I'm jigging during the day and then only if I don't have an idea of what bait is around. I basically use it as a "search lure". When I'm jigging the night tides I prefer more "natural" or darker patterns and find myself throwing slug go style baits far more than paddle tails.

Conversely when fishing bucktails day or night I almost exclusively fish white regardless of conditions or bait presence. Thats just me and we all have our own quirks I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sandbar1 said:

I usually only throw white paddle tails if I'm jigging during the day and then only if I don't have an idea of what bait is around. I basically use it as a "search lure". When I'm jigging the night tides I prefer more "natural" or darker patterns and find myself throwing slug go style baits far more than paddle tails.

Conversely when fishing bucktails day or night I almost exclusively fish white regardless of conditions or bait presence. Thats just me and we all have our own quirks I guess.

Are you using straight tails because they better imitate what you think is the prey in a given spot or because they sink faster and stay deeper than paddle tails do?  (Or both?  Or other?)

 

As for BTs:

Every angler that I either know or have read about who successfully fishes a lot of BTs uses white ones 10:1 (or maybe more) over any other color, day or night, jetties/beaches/boulder fields/outlets/etc., in just about all kinds of weather. It seems that their BT color2 is often black or what I'll call a dark-wine color--sort of dark red/maroon--which turns dark gray/almost black in low light and/or deep water. 

 

In all of the content I've seen re BTs, there is very rarely a mention of other colors--inc. anything dark over light, chartreuse, parrot, yellow or yellow/white--yet their plug bags are filled with those very colors.  (Especially dark/light and yellow and yellow/white.)  

 

Also, some of those same white-is-right BT folks fish black sluggos 10:1 over any other color, in most of the conditions I just mentioned. 

 

 :why:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.