codfish

2020 Cape Cod squid infestation

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Dan_evan1 said:

Ahhh very nice. I have been extremely impressed with those Barbarian swimbait hooks over the last few years. They come rigged in everything from the Hogy Pro Tail to the Harness Jigs. How do you find them? 

Agreed.  The Hogy hooks are some of the best around, and are super heavy duty.  You can buy just about anything Hogy makes on their website, and many shops around here (MA) carry a good assortment of their hooks and jigs.

Posted (edited) · Report post

20190802_053504.jpg.4e2706de32078a095b84a242118765db.jpg

squid.jpg.809457655f0a469ab619df455e93c514.jpg

I picked up a Roberts Ranger last summer in squid color. I also picked up a Squid Zee from 247 lures.

For the upcoming season, I'll tie some amber siwashes for both lures. The plastic tail on the Squid Zee won't last long, especially if blues are around.

Early last august, when I took the picture of the squid & lure, there were a bunch of squid in the area of the canal I was fishing. However, the blitzing bass wouldn't touch my lures. As I was taking the picture, macs start throwing themselves on the rocks. Some big stripers had balled up a bunch of macs in the area.  I switched to a mac Savage Sand Eel then proceeded to catch a bunch of 38" - 43" stripers.

It was pretty amazing watch the fish key in on one bait even though  there were squid all over as well.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Agreed.  The Hogy hooks are some of the best around, and are super heavy duty.  You can buy just about anything Hogy makes on their website, and many shops around here (MA) carry a good assortment of their hooks and jigs.

the 10/0 and 12/0 barbarians are the best for big stripers, they don't bend out like other hook types, they are all I fish with the big plastics.

3 hours ago, zak-striper said:

20190802_053504.jpg.4e2706de32078a095b84a242118765db.jpg

squid.jpg.809457655f0a469ab619df455e93c514.jpg

I picked up a Roberts Ranger last summer in squid color. I also picked up a Squid Zee from 247 lures.

For the upcoming season, I'll tie some amber siwashes for both lures. The plastic tail on the Squid Zee won't last long, especially if blues are around.

Early last august, when I took the picture of the squid & lure, there were a bunch of squid in the area of the canal I was fishing. However, the blitzing bass wouldn't touch my lures. As I was taking the picture, macs start throwing themselves on the rocks. Some big stripers had balled up a bunch of macs in the area.  I switched to a mac Savage Sand Eel then proceeded to catch a bunch of 38" - 43" stripers.

It was pretty amazing watch the fish key in on one bait even though  there were squid all over as well.

The fish could have also been looking for a different presentation. The Ranger is a topwater lure while the savage is meant to be fished deep. More often then not a deep, slow bait will draw strikes while topwaters won't get a touch.

53 mins ago, Sandbar1 said:

The fish could have also been looking for a different presentation. The Ranger is a topwater lure while the savage is meant to be fished deep. More often then not a deep, slow bait will draw strikes while topwaters won't get a touch.

Interesting how you mention top and bottom. 

Would fish know floating meaning dead fish and won't look at it and actively look for food in the bottom? 

4 mins ago, foxfai said:

Would fish know floating meaning dead fish and won't look at it and actively look for food in the bottom? 

I think most of the time bass are opportunistic feeders that spend time hanging near the bottom picking off injured or easy baits. For a topwater to be most effective the right conditions need to be met, such as bass blitzing on a large presence of bait, barometric changes, low light (dawn/dusk) etc.

5 mins ago, foxfai said:

I also think quite the opposite. Floating is a scared or fleeing baitfish, a more difficult target and one most often hit by the smaller fish. Injured or dead baits sink and the biggest most opportunistic bass pick these off while the smaller fish kick around on the surface. Thats why, many times when your catching rats on the surface a well placed jig or bucktail can cull out the larger bass hanging below.

Many of my mates fish the ditch with only one lure on many days.  (Hard to believe, but they catch.)

White or ghost paddle tail on heads ranging from 3 to 5 oz.  They are usually on par with others using grren mack patterns in the same weights, and they outperform the green macks about 1/3 of the time.

Maybe that color imitates squid?

1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

And this guy ... the "Magic Squid" ... Golden Woe .. Reverse Atom

5e1d1973608b0_MagicSquid.jpeg.b3501350d722d05fddca80ec39e68a0c.jpeg

Recently picked this up as part of a lot of plugs. Not a reverse atom but should still do some damage when the squid are around 20200113_202807.jpg.44b9eb11e61fdf7ebfe5ed7edece0a99.jpg20200113_202727.jpg.7936d4fea6c310c1ba382759c1239451.jpg

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Many of my mates fish the ditch with only one lure on many days.  (Hard to believe, but they catch.)

White or ghost paddle tail on heads ranging from 3 to 5 oz.  They are usually on par with others using grren mack patterns in the same weights, and they outperform the green macks about 1/3 of the time.

Maybe that color imitates squid?

The very same day I caught that fish on the Hogy, I took a slightly bigger fish on a pearl white Al gags. Needed some more distance and was swimming it a few feet subsurface and bouncing the tip. Only two lures that produced for me that morning.