codfish

2020 Cape Cod squid infestation

Rate this topic

234 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, VitaminDee said:

Can we get a little more info? IF i have nothing to do i would like to go spend some $$$ on new stuff.

Door Charge:  To enter the show there will be a $10.00 cover charge and kids under 12 are free.

Show Hours & Location:
The show will be at White's of Westport Feb 8 & 9 2020

Show Hours:

Saturday Feb 8th 9am - 4pm

Sunday Feb 9th 9am - 3pm

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I’ve been meaning to throw some squid flies into the ring here. I’ve been following this thread ‘cause I love these critters and imitating them. This is just one I use often, but will photograph both a juvenile fly as well one in the 10”-12” range as soon as I get a chance. 

0CE6D186-03A3-4D27-AA0F-4E4EDABDBC92.jpeg

Love it!  

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

I’ve been meaning to throw some squid flies into the ring here. I’ve been following this thread ‘cause I love these critters and imitating them. This is just one I use often, but will photograph both a juvenile fly as well one in the 10”-12” range as soon as I get a chance. 

0CE6D186-03A3-4D27-AA0F-4E4EDABDBC92.jpeg

What wt rod are you throwing those flies with?

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, bob_G said:

What wt rod are you throwing those flies with?

That’s a pretty light fly even if it’s on the big side of things, lighter than a lot of clousers, just a little more wind resistance. I regularly throw it with a 9wt but I think an 8wt would do just fine, however, I don’t like fishing rods that light for other reasons not related to castability.  

Edited by Ftyer

9 mins ago, Ftyer said:

That’s a pretty light fly even if it’s on the big side of things, lighter than a lot of clousers, just a little more wind resistance. I regularly throw it with a 9wt but I think an 8wt would do just fine, however, I don’t like fishing rods that light for other reasons not related to castability.  

I throw a 12wt in the canal. A bear to throw for more than an hour.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

I throw a 12wt in the canal. A bear to throw for more than an hour.

Oh man...I could imagine, I have a 12 for very special circumstances but a 10 is about my max for “leisurely” fishing. With that said, I never quite make it to the canal (I think I’m intimidated, ha!) but totally understand going that heavy for it—it seems like an environment like no other. I do bet when squid make it into the canal, they get hammered in those swift currents. 

20 mins ago, Ftyer said:

Oh man...I could imagine, I have a 12 for very special circumstances but a 10 is about my max for “leisurely” fishing. With that said, I never quite make it to the canal (I think I’m intimidated, ha!) but totally understand going that heavy for it—it seems like an environment like no other. I do bet when squid make it into the canal, they get hammered in those swift currents. 

I fish a 650gr Rio Leviathan line with a heavy mono leader.  Fish over 40" will run well into the backing, but the rod has the backbone to snub them.

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

I fish a 650gr Rio Leviathan line with a heavy mono leader.  Fish over 40" will run well into the backing, but the rod has the backbone to snub them.

I totally commend you using a stick large enough and line heavy to overpower the fish and reduce and additional harm, I’m strict about that as well and it goes a long way with me to see others doing so. My names Levi and if I ever see ya on the water, I’ll leave you with any squid you like.