yama426

Rod recommendations?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

St Croix Avid surf I would recommend, the reason had 2 friends send rods of the last 3 months back to StCroix. First one was Legend 3 inches broke from tip sent new rod with in 1 week. Other was Avid surf 9 ft reel seat cracked and guide epoxy was coming off. Took 2 weeks to get back both brand new rods. Both rods were over 7 years old.  You can’t beat the warranty from St Croix. Just (try) to remember the date or purchased order. Like a few others have said Tackle Direct has them in sail to make room for the new Black Avid Surf. 

I give my vote to 10-6” Airwave Elite.  Have on e rated 1-4 and love it for throwing plugs and bucktails.  70/30 split and very sensitive.  

Since, you will be traveling with rod, you may want to look at any of travelers rods.

Otherwise, 50/50 split, unless you do not care about extra charges for taking rod in to the plane.

Okuma Rockaway may fit in to what are you looking for.

18 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

Black Hole, check out ksong’s  videos on these rods.

Thanks for the recommendations. 

Black Hole USA surf rods are new and not many anglers have used them. 

But everyone who use them love them. 

Eventually the Black Hole USA surf rods will become very popular among surf anglers regardless prices. We are trying to be the best. :)

Thank you for the information, I won a drawing at my work for $250 gift card to the online giant. I found a TFO Loomis or Mojo for roughly the same price, both seem to have great warranty and free returns so I may order both to get a feel. 

15 hours ago, Popasilov said:

Since, you will be traveling with rod, you may want to look at any of travelers rods.

Otherwise, 50/50 split, unless you do not care about extra charges for taking rod in to the plane.

Okuma Rockaway may fit in to what are you looking for.

Southwest allows up to 91 inches as an extra "bag"

1 hour ago, yama426 said:

Thank you for the information, I won a drawing at my work for $250 gift card to the online giant. I found a TFO Loomis or Mojo for roughly the same price, both seem to have great warranty and free returns so I may order both to get a feel. 

All I can try to tell you is check the rods out before you buy online. So it suits your needs. All the rods mentioned are good.  Tackle direct has the St Croix red Avids 40% off. You really can’t beat that price 210.00

The Tsunami Trophy 2’s are a great value rod. Good components, 70/30 split, and excellent choices to choose from. 

Penn Carnage 2’s are another good value rod. Excellent components and 50/50 split for travel. 

As mentioned, the Avid sale is hard to pass on.