Rod recommendations?

Rate this topic

yama426

Hi, I've been lurking,reading,searching for information.  I was gifted a Penn Slammer 6500 high-speed for Christmas by my wife.

The reel was spooled with 50lb braid, I know this is overkill for most surf fishing but I travel to Costa Rica, Cabo, FL so that was what BP put on for her. 

Roosters, snapper, tarpon, snook, Cobia

My budget is around $300 

A few I looked into are mostly 10'6''mh or 11

1 to 4oz

Mojo, new tsunami saltx are a few I've been looking at.

Mostly throwing poppers and spoons.

Thanks for the help and let me know if I missed any details to narrow it down.

i fish 50# and 65# all the time here in the NE, depends what youre doing with it and what characteristics are important to you

im no rod guru

are you fishing in NE or down south with it? and does it need to travel, 1,2,3 pieces?

i love Mojos, some people had problems with reel seats loosening up and spinning but i havent and St Croix usually handles any issues easily

Okuma Cedros CSX (i think)

Tsunami Airwave Elite

are worth a look

A 3rd vote for the avids on sale.

i got 2 for the price of 1.

It’s  a hot topic but personally I wouldn’t fish more than ten feet from my car with a mojo...

In my group of friends 5 have broken in the past 3 years.

I have a tsunami airwave elite that I really love also.
with all that said if I was buying a rod today that wasn’t on sale it would be probably be one of the TFO loomis rods.

You dont have to swim faster than the shark........you only have to swim faster than your slowest friend.

13 hours ago, GraniteStRockfish said:

i fish 50# and 65# all the time here in the NE, depends what youre doing with it and what characteristics are important to you

im no rod guru

are you fishing in NE or down south with it? and does it need to travel, 1,2,3 pieces?

i love Mojos, some people had problems with reel seats loosening up and spinning but i havent and St Croix usually handles any issues easily

Okuma Cedros CSX (i think)

Tsunami Airwave Elite

are worth a look

Thanks,

I'm thinking 2 piece, Southwest is free and allows a tube up to 91 inches long and 3 inches wide. I will be fishing south, Cabo is up first.

Airwave and Saltx are on the list, I will look into the Cedros.

52 mins ago, yama426 said:

Yes, anyone that owned one will never forget starting it. Great bike:cool:

:D

hot start...decompression....

I loved mine but if I stalled it during a race it generally wasn’t even worth trying to restart it.......the Holeshots  though.....

You dont have to swim faster than the shark........you only have to swim faster than your slowest friend.