Outer banks NC in summer

Rate this topic

Stripsettter

Have a friends and family trip planned in July to Nags Head area and figuring out what to bring. I would be fly fishing on foot ocean and sound and probably have some spinning gear to check out the piers. Anyone have any advice? 

I hear there’s Puppy Drum, Speckled trout, blues in summer. The big Redfish are in the fall. I’ve never been before so total newbie to the area. Appreciate any input. 

No Bait. No Barbs. No Buckets.

Bring a 7ft spinning rod with some 15 and 30lb fluro leader. Paddle tails on light jigheads and topwaters for sound side, jig heads in the surf. Pick up some white on white gotchas, 30lb fluro and with clean water those and small metal will get you into Spanish and blues on the piers. Popping cork with a chartuse DOA is a good day saver for backwaters as well. On the fly, id imagine backwaters would be easier, surf conditions can be tricky. 

Appreciate the tips. Primarily I want to fly fish.  Definitely bringing a light spinning outfit with some jigs and 8/9wt fly rod, clousers, deceivers, crab and shrimp patterns... I will likely focus on a few sound side areas where there appears to be access and grass flats. May drive south to Oregon inlet and will take at least one guided trip. I have an inflatable paddle board I’m bringing as well. 

anyone else experienced in the area ?

21 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Stripsettter, do you want this thread transferred either to the Fly Fishing or Hatteras/NC Forums?

Prefer to keep it in Fly Fishing because that’s ultimately how I want to fish. I see most of the OBX forum is bait fishing for Old Drum/Redfish. Can big redfish not be taken on plugs? 

17 hours ago, jeffapeikin said:

Not sure if flat fish are what you’re into, but I recall a YouTube where they nailed a few small ones. 

I catch a lot of Fluke in NY on the fly when targeting Striped Bass. Not a target species for me but I’m not going to complain if I catch them. 

1 hour ago, Stripsettter said:

Prefer to keep it in Fly Fishing because that’s ultimately how I want to fish. I see most of the OBX forum is bait fishing for Old Drum/Redfish. Can big redfish not be taken on plugs? 

July is not your optimum time, they will hit artificials. A boat chasing schools would be your best bet.

1 min ago, Grayson said:

July is not your optimum time, they will hit artificials. A boat chasing schools would be your best bet.

Yeah I see most of the Old Drum or Bull Reds are caught in fall. I’m probably gonna end up with a guide for a day and then fly fish and light spin jigging around the sound on foot, kayak, paddle board. 

Although I haven't fished at the OB for about 3 years, prior to that I frequently visited Nags Head on a family vacation for many years.

My favorite fly fishing there has always been to fish for "houndfish". I used to fish for them either on shore or wading on either side of the Oregon Inlet bridge. They are a blast to catch on a fly rod. Just bring along a lot of white bunny flies since they will destroy them. The fishing for them is better when the water in clean and not stirred up. They hit hard, jump and often will attack a fly in a herd!

With the construction of the new bridge, much of the access to the water on the south side of the bridge has been restricted (this was about 3 years ago).

I plan on going to Nags Head in mid July for a week this year, so I hope the "hounds" are still around. I also plan on soaking some mullet in the surf to see what I can find.

PM if you want more info.

Bill

Summer on OBX --who knows what will be there from year to year it is always a little different.   If we have a mid winter and no freezes speckled trout fishing should be excellent in the sounds.  Puppy Drum who knows--I have a feeling we will see some this summer as the last two summer were dismal.  But last fall there were reports of a good number small pups around---on can hope.  

Really simple flies will catch all of these --#2 pink and chartreuse Clouser is a great place to start.  There is a local pattern called the Dirty Harry that the waders have had very good success with.  Me I can't catch with it--as I think it is a much better fished wading than out of a boat.  --but I have seen the results.  7 or 8 wts are perfect choice --wading floating lines should work fine.   

On FB there is local fly Club called Outer Banks Fly Casters--they are pretty active and post reports and share info readily.  TWs will help with wading locations as will OBFC

Brian Horsley

On 1/16/2020 at 8:28 PM, bhorsley said:

Summer on OBX --who knows what will be there from year to year it is always a little different.   If we have a mid winter and no freezes speckled trout fishing should be excellent in the sounds.  Puppy Drum who knows--I have a feeling we will see some this summer as the last two summer were dismal.  But last fall there were reports of a good number small pups around---on can hope.  

Really simple flies will catch all of these --#2 pink and chartreuse Clouser is a great place to start.  There is a local pattern called the Dirty Harry that the waders have had very good success with.  Me I can't catch with it--as I think it is a much better fished wading than out of a boat.  --but I have seen the results.  7 or 8 wts are perfect choice --wading floating lines should work fine.   

On FB there is local fly Club called Outer Banks Fly Casters--they are pretty active and post reports and share info readily.  TWs will help with wading locations as will OBFC

Really appreciate the info. Will tie up some pink and chartreuse clousers. I will probably focus on wading spots on the sound side and I have an inflatable paddle board I will bring down with me.  I have some time to prep and for research. Gonna be there a full week so will have a lot of time to fish. Any recommendations on guides if I want to go out on a boat?