Beachglass Guru

Nocqua vs Wilderness systems lithium battery vs DIY

17 posts in this topic

After 3 seasons of use my SLA batteries they're finally shot.  Mostly my fault as I left them connected to an LED and they got drained.. 

Im looking to replace them and I'm tossing around the idea of a lithium ion battery.. it's a tough sell for me though, as replacing my SLA's will cost $35 to my door and l-ion batteries are significantly more..

I run a 5" fishfinder at full bright, I charge my phone and sometimes a bluetooth speaker as well, all from the battery box.. I was running 2x 10ah SLA's and I never had an issue running out of power..

I see a lot of guys using the nocqua 10ah and that's seems to work well for them.  

I also see that wilderness systems makes a 15ah L-ion for $50 less than the Nocqua..

Then theres the DIY method with 16850 cells and a battery box... as I'm not overly experienced w electrical work I'm not sold on the DIY route yet..

Any of you guys done a DIY with 18650's? Hows it working out.  

What about the wilderness systems battery? I dont see many use logs with it but its 15 ah which would likely be all I need.. any of you folks have experience with this battery?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Got the Wildy 15Ah battery for Christmas to power the Garmin FF. Tested it and seems to power it up just fine, but I haven't put it to the on the water test yet. From what I see, it seems to be a decent battery. Lightweight, compact, protective rubber grip/coating, has USB ports for phone and/or camera, and a 12V port. All power ports have water proof covers and connectors and the battery supposedly floats. I've seen it for $99 at times. One thing about Lithium batteries is that you can run them down 80/90% and they just power themselves off. Unlike SLA batteries that you should only run down 50% and then immediately recharge. Draining the SLA's too much and often damages the cells. 

At 12v of power the Wildy gives you 180 watt hours, while the Noqua will only give you 120 watt hours of power.

Edited by Fishtale7

28 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

Got the Wildy 15Ah battery for Christmas to power the Garmin FF. Tested it and seems to power it up just fine, but I haven't put it to the on the water test yet. From what I see, it seems to be a decent battery. Lightweight, compact, protective rubber grip/coating, has USB ports for phone and/or camera, and a 12V port. All power ports have water proof covers and connectors and the battery supposedly floats. I've seen it for $99 at times. One thing about Lithium batteries is that you can run them down 80/90% and they just power themselves off. Unlike SLA batteries that you should only run down 50% and then immediately recharge. Draining the SLA's too much and often damages the cells. 

At 12v of power the Wildy gives you 180 watt hours, while the Noqua will only give you 120 watt hours of power.

Looks like the wildness battery rating is waaay off.  Total only 55.5wh.  That's means the 15ah rating is based on 3.7v output( 1x 18650 cell ).  So you'll need 4 to get the true 15ah rating.

6 mins ago, hobobob said:

Looks like the wildness battery rating is waaay off.  Total only 55.5wh.  That's means the 15ah rating is based on 3.7v output( 1x 18650 cell ).  So you'll need 4 to get the true 15ah rating.

Please post source. I was told the 15Ah rating is based on the 12v output. Is the Noqua's capacity of 10Ah based on 12 or 3.7v output?

4 mins ago, Fishtale7 said:

Please post source. I was told the 15Ah rating is based on the 12v output. Is the Noqua's capacity of 10Ah based on 12 or 3.7v output?

From the wildness system site, 1st line in feature, 55.5wh.  Various negative review confirms it.  The weight is too light for 15ahx12v.

Noqua is 12v rating. 1.4lb in weight.

Posted (edited) · Report post

So far so good on my Nocqua Batteries 10ah. I alternate battery every second trip or so. Time will tell if the investment was worth it over SLA. I never tried WS and never built my own using Lithium. 

Edited by The Riddler

What I like about Nocqua is the plug and play system with kits that include everything for splicing for those of us who are not the best at DIY electronics.  These connectors are waterproof but still vulnerable to salt damage.  Nocqua now has their own paste. I use ox-gard on my connections with no issues.  I still would not recommend leaving these connectors sitting in a wet hull or out of the water unprotected. 

If you need more power for extended trips the tandem harness with LED light is a nice plug and play option.

C63782BE-DBB4-4B31-A9C3-04C33C39252C.jpeg

20B74BB8-6BAC-4EAF-A7B9-CB20185DBA4A.png

16 hours ago, hobobob said:

From the wildness system site, 1st line in feature, 55.5wh.  Various negative review confirms it.  The weight is too light for 15ahx12v.

Noqua is 12v rating. 1.4lb in weight.

I was lied to by a salesman, the outrage, lol. I guess it is based on the 3.7v. So in hindsight, I should have went with the Noqua. However, the Wildy does power my FF with no problems, and it's waterproof, so I'll be content with that. If it doesn't pan out in the long run, my wife will get the battery for her Ipad and laptop while on the train. I still think the Wildy is a decent battery, but only time will tell. 

Some of you already have some good power tool battery. So here is a diy idea.

1578784760214_20200111_181301.jpg.75b8b0b25a6a11b2685dc69344725718.jpg

That's a milwaukee power source, other brands should have similar down conveter.

32 mins ago, BillZ said:

These power tool batteries are typically only around 2ah.....

These days you buy the battery and get your tool free. ( or the other way around ) Tool you can use at home or job site.  This one is rated 90wh. 18v x 5ah, which is about 7.5ah at 12v.  Good enough for most 5 inch fishfinder.for one day.

7 mins ago, hobobob said:

This one is rated 90wh. 

Oh yeah,  that's a decent size .. haven't bought anything recently,  mine are all 24wh