wiretap

Baitcaster Level Wind VS Low Profile

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Another question came to after speaking with my father.

I was planning on using a Penn 209 Level Wind on my 12' Lamiglas surf rod. I am in the Pacific NW, and in the puget sound, so I will probably not see too many HUGE fish.

The Penn 209 has a 10# drag on it. I have an Abu Garcia BMAX3 with 18# drag on it.

I will be cleaning them off after use in the salt, to make sure they stay in good shape.

My father told me that I need a bigger reel because I'll be hucking 2-5oz weights and it will burn up the bearings on the reels.

Is this true? Will heavier weights mess with the reel to the point of breaking it?

So I guess 2 questions. Will a Penn 209 or BMAX3 withstand heavier gear on it? If so, is 10# drag enough for most fishing in the puget sound? I normally use 15# on my spinning.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Penn 209 was not made for casting. More of a boat reel although there are people out there that can cast any reel. Maybe look into selling the 209 and buying an Abu 6000-6600 as it will be a lot easier to cast.

Don't really understand your question Penn 209 or BMAX3 withstand heavier gear on it?

10# of drag should be more than enough for your target fish.

Edited by quan808

41 mins ago, quan808 said:

Don't really understand your question Penn 209 or BMAX3 withstand heavier gear on it?

My dad was saying it would burn the bearings out. I didnt know haha. 

Ok, gotcha. 

I thought you were talking about a heavier main gear...

Bearings are cheap, give it a try and report back here. I looked at the 209 and it definitely looks like a hard reel to cast especially on a 12" rod. If the BMAX3 is a low profile it should be fine as long as it holds enough line for you.

I'll give both a shot and see which one works better! I think the BMAX should be good. I'd hate to throw a lure into the ocean, but I have done that a few times before lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

You won't burn out the bearings on your baitcaster and it will not suffer damage else where from casting 2oz to 5oz of weight. I would be more concerned about spooling yourself on every cast with that small low pro, for what you want to do you need better line capacity.

Get an Abu 6500.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

26 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

You won't burn out the bearings on your baitcaster and it will not suffer damage else where from casting 2oz to 5oz of weight. I would be more concerned about spooling yourself on every cast with that small low pro, for what you want to do you need better line capacity.

Get an Abu 6500.

Some small low pros don't like their pinions sliding in and out of the mesh under heavy loads 

Some small low pros yoke and thumbar will start binding after repeated disengagement with heavier payloads 

The Bmax3 has a cap. of 130/30#braid. 

I doubt ill be close to that. Even if I hit 100, still have 30 for the run, or is that not nearly enough? Sorry for the newbie questions. Probably should save up. 

4 hours ago, wiretap said:

Hey guys,

Another question came to after speaking with my father.

I was planning on using a Penn 209 Level Wind on my 12' Lamiglas surf rod. I am in the Pacific NW, and in the puget sound, so I will probably not see too many HUGE fish.

The Penn 209 has a 10# drag on it. I have an Abu Garcia BMAX3 with 18# drag on it.

I will be cleaning them off after use in the salt, to make sure they stay in good shape.

My father told me that I need a bigger reel because I'll be hucking 2-5oz weights and it will burn up the bearings on the reels.

Is this true? Will heavier weights mess with the reel to the point of breaking it?

So I guess 2 questions. Will a Penn 209 or BMAX3 withstand heavier gear on it? If so, is 10# drag enough for most fishing in the puget sound? I normally use 15# on my spinning.

I don't know what kind of fish you will be after but,for serious saltwater I'd go with a 7000 series reel.

HH

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Some small low pros don't like their pinions sliding in and out of the mesh under heavy loads 

Some small low pros yoke and thumbar will start binding after repeated disengagement with heavier payloads 

Good point, I never ran into those issues with the smaller low pros I used personally, but it could be an issue.

5 hours ago, wiretap said:

The Bmax3 has a cap. of 130/30#braid. 

I doubt ill be close to that. Even if I hit 100, still have 30 for the run, or is that not nearly enough? Sorry for the newbie questions. Probably should save up. 

Remember that just because your distance on the cast might be 100yds does not mean 100yds of line came off the reel on the cast. You will have so much extra line coming off the reel making up the arch of the cast as well, some one good with math could do the calculation and tell you just how much extra line beyond 100yds comes off the reel.

Scoob brings up another good point, that I overlooked, regarding stresses placed on the reel when engaging the thumb bar prior to casting.

you need a saltwater baitcaster the 209 is good for a pier or a boat.get an ABUin the 6000 to 7000 size it will make it easier to cast the weight and more enjoyable....or any saltwater baitcaster even...

Bugger the Abus.  There are plenty of better reels on the market for a shore-casting bait angler. Old/used: Daiwa SLOSH 20, 30 and first generation Saltiga; Newell 229 (if using braid, the 220 is big enough, not with mono), Penn Fathom and first generation Torque conventions. Current and admirable: Daiwa Saltiga (twiddle the brake blocks to taste 20, maybe 30 if you have big hands; Penn Fathom II, Torque. I don't know the current Shimano lineup.

As the Fathom II reels are coming in, the earlier Fathoms are on closeout everywhere.

You may be advised to seek out the Penn Squidder. Ignore the advice. Anyone recommending it is old enough to have voted for Teddy Roosevelt.

In baitcasters (reels with levelwinds that are meant for casting, which the Penn 209 is not), there are a multitude of large low-profile reels with enthusiastic fans.

Use Search and find user comments on the Komodo, Lexa, etc. Personally, I'd rather fish an open-faced conventional, if fishing bait. Some lo-pros don't have a clicker, which is nice to have, and a level wind is a nuisance when trying to twiddle a birdsnest into submission.

41 mins ago, BrianBM said:

You may be advised to seek out the Penn Squidder. Ignore the advice. Anyone recommending it is old enough to have voted for Teddy Roosevelt.

OMG I just died laughing. HAHAHAH