New 2 Big Luxors

Rate this topic

chrisbarclay

I have a really nice large Luxor I would like to fish with..... It has no mods but is in nice shape.  Wondering if the roller can take braid.... bail has been removed. I know they are heavy but I love these reels ...... love the sound that they make.

Anyway, is there anyone who still works on these reels? I'd like to bring it up to snuff. I realize that I'm probably going to have to file down the reel seat to fit the newer rods..... Check the drag washers, grease, etc. Next step is a rod ..... intend to fish Rockaway Jetty and Montuak.... any suggestions?  I live in an apartment in the city so it will have to be a two piece rod.

Edited by chrisbarclay
Added

You Sir have one of the best reels ever made they can be lightened up a bit -drilled and filled-take out all the bail hardware under the round aluminum plate then fill in the crescent shaped hole in the rotor cup-not hard to do I have done a few Luxors and Cracks myself--by hand-if you want to Van Stall the reel try a machinist the reel will look great-- you could try the Penn 704 manual pickup or try what I did install the manual pickup off a Penn 706 the 706 requires a bit more work-if you don't want to Van Staal the reel you can drill the drain holes in the rotor cup your self with a hand drill-those reels were the king of the hill before Van Staal and they are still being used by myself and others--very easy to work on --I would say that Van Staal copied the inner workings of the reels they were that good-hope this helps and good luck with the finished reel---rreelman

Thanks for the reply.... Afraid that I'm not very handy and would not wish to mess up this nice reel myself.... I guess I will use some sort of braid. Perhaps there is a braid that might be a bit kinder to these older reels. Question... what rod would you put this reel onto for Montuak and the jetty at Rockaway?  There are so many choices.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'll do the Fireline at 30 lb.... 

rreelman gave me great advice about the best rod to go with .... Lami- 132-1M

Unfortunately .... I live in an apartment in Manhattan and a one piece rod will never get into my elevator and I'm up on the 8th floor.

That leaves me with a 2 piece rod option.  My guess is that almost nobody here uses 2 piece rods....

On 1/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, chrisbarclay said:

Perhaps there is a braid that might be a bit kinder to these older reels. 

20# original Fireline

Actual breaking strength around #35

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

On 1/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, chrisbarclay said:

Price for the rod.... ?   I want the best..... I've already saved a bundle on the reel.

"Best" can get pricey. "Best" is probably a Century 1328 blank in the hands of a custom builder. That's probably $1K even without much bling.