The Riddler

2020 Kayak Fishing Photos

253 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

Have not been out on the kayak yet this year. However, I think that will change in two weeks...

Hopefully the weather cooperates. So far we have been very fortunate. The last few cold days may have caused some skim ice on the small lakes but that shouldn't last long. Post some pics if you go. This forum has gotten boring lately. Good luck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

That’s awesome and terrifying. Sweet shot! What magazine is that in? I’d like to check it out.

Last summer, I may have had a kayak encounter with a thresher. I was in an area with several large schools of adult menhaden that were happily feeding against the tide. They were unharrassed until I saw what I immediately thought was a thresher tail slash through a school. A ten foot or so line zipped through the school disturbing only the pogies right on that line. Ten minutes later I checked on my live lined bait and it was shredded in half. It seemed to be a different bite than a big blue. Usually bluefish leave a pretty distinct and somewhat clean bite where you can make out the shape of their jaws. This bait was shredded, like someone tried to cut it in half with a dull steak knife.

it would’ve been fun to hook a fish like that but I count my self lucky that I didn’t have to deal with that whip of tail flying around while sitting on a yak...

Edited by Pescador710

47 mins ago, Pescador710 said:

That’s awesome and terrifying. Sweet shot! What magazine is that in? I’d like to check it out.

That came from a hobie ad in a coastal angler magazine.  I think it's so stupid it's funny.

Lots of threshers inshore the past few years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

A rare dead flat Hudson River day. Caught and safely released 18 bass. March 6 was the earliest I ever caught before today.

BDA5B0D7-DE1E-42E7-8E25-D5B3BC99A9E8.png

Edited by cheech

27 mins ago, EricJ said:

@cheech... are you really trying to keep from showing us which lure you are catching them on?? Really??? 

Those Tsunami talkin poppers are too powerful to let everyone know about.

38 mins ago, EricJ said:

@cheech... are you really trying to keep from showing us which lure you are catching them on?? Really??? 

He forgot to blur the shoreline and can do a better job masking that plug :)

test blur.png

27 mins ago, buddha162 said:

He forgot to blur the shoreline and can do a better job masking that plug :)

test blur.png

I totally get and I am on board with the spot burning thing.... no doubt. The pictures of the fish I caught last year you could not tell where they were except for a handful of you who may know where I fish.

The photos blurring the lures are just ridiculous. I saw a funny picture on facebook last year where the person was mocking the whole thing by blurring the entire fish and face of the fisherman while leaving the shoreline exposed.

2 mins ago, EricJ said:

The photos blurring the lures are just ridiculous.

To each their own, but I can tell you it's pretty common in freshwater. If you're using something new that no one else is using in a particular region/state/lake and slamming them...you might not want to broadcast it to the world.

Ofc, half the baits you see hanging out of fish jaws on FB and IG weren't the baits that got bit anyway lol...

3 hours ago, EricJ said:

not like cheech not to share (see below from a few days ago) ... perhaps he was expressly asked not to by the person who put him onto the lure  ...

On 2/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, cheech said:

The small, jointed Creek chub pikie was magic for me a couple days ago on the yak. They ignored my ‘go to’ Bombers, Crystal minnows, and Salt pros.