The Riddler

2020 Kayak Fishing Photos

253 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Another vote for the Ranger nets at Dick’s. I always have low expectations when I shop there, but I have been pleasantly surprised by these nets. The short-ish handle is great for a yak or small boat. Mine is model 920B.

Yep, that's the same net I have. I cut like a foot off the handle. The rubberized net is so much less snaggy on hooks than the stranded one I had before. I just wish it had a silver finish like the cheaper one so that it'd be easy to see if it floated away...

On 10/16/2020 at 0:13 PM, fishinbill said:

Ouch! Time to buy a net. 

That’s a cool last photo, with the empty jig telling the whole story. 

:laugh::laugh:

After the first few trips practicing self rescues and finding tipping points and getting generally acquainted with my new Hobie Passport 12, yesterday was time to get out for some fishing!!

The weather did not disappoint:  75° F air temp, winds light and variable, seas 3' at 10 seconds.  Launched an hour or so after sunrise and started the pedal out of the harbor:

elns9Qh.jpg

To keep things simple and introduce fewer variables and complications, I decided this first trip would be simple bottom jigging and catch and release.

xIjLiIv.jpg

I realized I forgot my lunch on the counter at home, so it'd have to be a half day trip.  I did manage to beat the skunk with a short lingcod.

UySRtVF.jpg

All in all... a great first trip!

On 10/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, TedSki said:

After the first few trips practicing self rescues and finding tipping points and getting generally acquainted with my new Hobie Passport 12, yesterday was time to get out for some fishing!!

All in all... a great first trip!

Looks awesome! My FiL lives at Muir Beach and every time I'm there I jones to get out on the water,  I just know there's some great fishing there. It's odd, he's fished a bit in his life, but has never fished there. There's always some guys on the beach for surf perch.

30 mins ago, gellfex said:

Looks awesome! My FiL lives at Muir Beach and every time I'm there I jones to get out on the water,  I just know there's some great fishing there. It's odd, he's fished a bit in his life, but has never fished there. There's always some guys on the beach for surf perch.

Next time you're out here, give a heads up.  I have rods and tackle you can use.

2 mins ago, TedSki said:

Next time you're out here, give a heads up.  I have rods and tackle you can use.

That's an awesome offer! Thanks. But family trips are always tightly scheduled, a couple of days in the bay area seeing various friends and relatives then up to Ashland to pay homage to my MiL. Maybe someday I should fly out with the family and just let them go north while I stay in the bay area and fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don’t have a ‘fishing kayak’ however, this Carbon Necky Eliza goes alright. I just zip tie my bag on! 

Photos is recent - went out chasing bass and bream. 

DCEE4B3F-312C-43FC-9164-AA6C3DA09E44.jpeg

Edited by Jorgejones

37 mins ago, Jorgejones said:

I don’t have a ‘fishing kayak’ however, this Carbon Necky Eliza goes alright. I just zip tie my bag on! 

The kayak you fish out of is your fishing kayak!  I think a surprising number of guys fish out of sit inside boats, but mostly not nearly as nice or as fast as yours. I once ran into a guy anchored in NY Harbor in a tiny Walmart type boat. Seemed sketchy, improperly dressed for a swim and no obvious PFD, but he was happy.

4 mins ago, gellfex said:

The kayak you fish out of is your fishing kayak!  I think a surprising number of guys fish out of sit inside boats...

It's quite warm here year round so most people are using sit-on-tops. Either Hobie kayaks or Stealth Fisha kayaks. I love the Necky but its a snug fit. Would love a full carbon Stealth Profisha kayak. Seems to be the fastest sit-on-top I can find here locally! 

If it works, it works!