jason colby

The Circus?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have been negligent in the past of getting some species crossed off "my list". I just got in from Florida last night two more accounted for...

Lake Ida in Boynton Beach is an interesting place. It is stocked with hybred stripers and there is a population of what you might call "exotics": Clowns and Peacocks!

"Clown Knife Fish" are native to Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand and came to Lake Ida when peoples pets out-grew their tanks. "Peacock Bass" are native to The Amazon Basin and were "intentionally introduced" to Florida for the purpose of predating on other invasive species such as Oscars and Cichlids. The result is that Lake Ida has a very diverse menu of species to catch, including "Pacu's" (think "40 pound piranha"!) which usually bite your hook off before you know what happened. 

While I did have several hooks bitten off over the past week, there is no telling if any one was a Pacu, an Oscar, a Piranha, cichlid or a gar, they are all capable. I must have caught several hundred fish over the past week, mostly loudmouth bass (Large Mouth Bass) but on the two trips I took to Lake Ida, in amongst the loudmouths, catfish, hybred stripers, there were about 25 peacocks and a couple of clowns, a real circus there!

2020peacock.JPG

2020clown1.jpeg

2020gator.JPG

2020lmb.JPG

Edited by jason colby

3 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

Nice!  If there's a freshwater fish on my list, the Peacock bass is at the top.

I can tell you that with Captain Adam Wojciechowski (203-640-9992, a Connecticut transplant), getting peacocks is as close to a "sure thing" as it gets!

Nice report, Jason.

How did you come to find Lake Ida? Where did you fly into? Reason I ask is my daughter is based in Miami as a flight attendant and I might be looking into some mid winter fishing. Just have no idea where to start from Miami...

1 hour ago, nightfighter said:

Nice report, Jason.

How did you come to find Lake Ida? Where did you fly into? Reason I ask is my daughter is based in Miami as a flight attendant and I might be looking into some mid winter fishing. Just have no idea where to start from Miami...

My mother lives in Boca Raton and Lake Ida is only 15 minutes away from her door. The lake is very well known to the area residents and has it's own, very lively biodiversity that can't be found anywhere else. Captain Adam (see his # above) is amazingly reasonable ($125/person for 4 hours) and for once in my life, I even let someone bait my hook for me! I played "the tourist" to see what the other side feels like and I can see why my customers are so spoiled...

Captain Adam is like that and he worked very hard at making everything just right. It was kind of like fishing with myself 30 years ago but with a much "mellower" person than I was at that age.

When I go down there I fly in and out of West Palm Beach. Jet Blue has a non-stop out of Providence.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, jason colby said:

My mother lives in Boca Raton and Lake Ida is only 15 minutes away from her door. The lake is very well known to the area residents and has it's own, very lively biodiversity that can't be found anywhere else. Captain Adam (see his # above) is amazingly reasonable ($125/person for 4 hours) and for once in my life, I even let someone bait my hook for me! I played "the tourist" to see what the other side feels like and I can see why my customers are so spoiled...

Captain Adam is like that and he worked very hard at making everything just right. It was kind of like fishing with myself 30 years ago but with a much "mellower" person than I was at that age.

When I go down there I fly in and out of West Palm Beach. Jet Blue has a non-stop out of Providence.

Good luck!

Is that middle pic a clown knife fish? Talk about strange looking ! :eek:

34 mins ago, bdowning said:

Is that middle pic a clown knife fish? Talk about strange looking ! :eek:

Yes, the 2nd pic down is a clown. They are related to eels and can actually swim backwards!

Something you have to consider when working the net...

I suspect that when HFG gets back from her trip down there that she will have similar pics. I tried to invite her on one of mine but she was still in the northern part of Florida and the later part of her trip she was headed south. I look forward to seeing her report!

Nice fish , I have to give the Capt. a call next time in Boca.  My daughter just moved to Boca last year   She said they get them right of the bridge near her house. 

On 1/10/2020 at 9:25 AM, ccb said:

Nice fish , I have to give the Capt. a call next time in Boca.  My daughter just moved to Boca last year   She said they get them right of the bridge near her house. 

I wonder how they taste

14 hours ago, ged said:

Thank you Jason. I just booked a trip in April for my son. 

With Captain Adam?

Let us know here how he does (with pics)!

9 mins ago, jason colby said:

With Captain Adam?

Let us know here how he does (with pics)!

Yes, with Capt Adam. I will update this after the trip