Circle hook of choice?

Rate this topic

golden

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Not to challenge you Bob, the problem with todays society, and in this case "sportsmen" is looking for and exploiting the loop hole  so they can do what they damn well please...…...

It's all about me and let someone else worry about the environment...……….

i think thats the problem with people in general, nothing special about fishermen

15 mins ago, b-ware said:

Not to challenge you Bob, the problem with todays society, and in this case "sportsmen" is looking for and exploiting the loop hole  so they can do what they damn well please...…...

Let me submit that the circle hook regulation was purposely crafted and worded to make possible this "loop hold"..  Why?...... so that striped bass fishers could use up their supply of J hooks without fear of running counter with the new regulation.  

Circle hooks work great, I switched two seasons ago after gut hooking too many rats. I like them better then j hooks and the rod holder has as good a hookup ratio as I do. That said I hate laws like this. The gaff law too. Can’t people just not suck enough to know that gaffs are only good for fish meant for the cooler. 

51 mins ago, Joe G said:

Let me submit that the circle hook regulation was purposely crafted and worded to make possible this "loop hold"..  Why?...... so that striped bass fishers could use up their supply of J hooks without fear of running counter with the new regulation.  

Really Joe???????????????

Why make regulations at all??????????????????

3 hours ago, b-ware said:

You're right Bernie.

The Sultan of Sluggo

On 1/27/2020 at 0:25 PM, oldgoat said:

I'm NOT READY TO SWITCH TO CERCLE YETas I still have plenty of -wide gap- hooks that catch in the corner every time with out the gut hook.

For fishen worms I put on three or four worms on one hook with a small cork NEXT TO THE HOOK and have no gut hook ups and every hook is in the corner of the mouth.

eagle claw wide gap L 144--4% bronze.

It's worked for over forty years.

The only fish gut hooked are fishen eels with 5% eagle claw off set .

I'm with you a 110 percent...tossed all my circles in the trash and I'll never buy others....learn to fish and gut hooked fish will be 0ne in a hundred.

there's gov. guys want laws....fine people who trash the outdoors and band plastic altogether...do something that really matters/save the bait.

2 hours ago, capesams said:

I'm with you a 110 percent...tossed all my circles in the trash and I'll never buy others....learn to fish and gut hooked fish will be 0ne in a hundred.

there's gov. guys want laws....fine people who trash the outdoors and band plastic altogether...do something that really matters/save the bait.

I fish eels extremely regularly. Sometimes every night and I'll have to agree with you, I very, very rarely gut hook a bass with traditional J hooks or octopus hooks. I gut/gill hook bass far more often with plugs but there aren't any proposed regulations in regards to wood or plastic. 

The problems with gut hooking comes from people not knowing how to hook a fish properly. They let them run and play with the bait until they inevitably swallow it. With eels it's simple, feel the tap tap of a bass, drop to the fish and then immediately slam the hook home.  95% of the time the fish is hooked in the jaw or the roof of the mouth and is none the worse for wear.

This feels like just anouther regulatory bandaid. A look at me, feel good law that the politician's can parade out to show how "environmentally conscious" they are while they simultaneously ignore the destruction of the stripers breeding grounds and the offshore fleets wiping out the forage species.

Edited by Sandbar1

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333