golden

Circle hook of choice?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, joem said:

I’ll hijack this thread for a relevant question. Will those of you that fish seaworms be using circle hooks? Even a 4/0 gamakatsu seems too thick to hold a worm well.

joem a little tip when using sea worms for bait . One does not need to run the whole worm on the hook . Find the hard part of the worm[head] and simply make one penetration from one side to the other and you will be good to go . Try it some time and lets us know how you do if you do not already employ that method of hooking a worm to a hook

I started using circle hooks 3 seasons ago. I tried gama, owners, eagle claw and mustads. Using worms, live, chunk bait, and claim. These are the ones I found work best for me. They are inline circles. I rarely miss a fish and 95% hooked in the corner of the mouth. The 1x fine wire are thin enough for worms.20200111_081951.jpg.b847e70d076bc3ee2a6445a7961fdf0d.jpgI snell these hooks. Just make sure to run the leader through the top of the eye! There are a few videos on YouTube about how to snell a circle. 20200111_083746.jpg.af22e33adc6fce791733ec88d7d89f8c.jpg

Back in my comm fishing days, I drifted chunks almost exclusively. I only used J hooks. Towards the end I began to experiment with circles. I had mixed results. 

I found results varied wildly between hook style and manufacturer. Some hooks were almost impossible to hook up in running water. The bait and hook seemed to slide right out of the fish's mouth. Some actually resulted in numerous fish being gut hooked?

The only ones I found even remotely effective were offset circle hooks. However, if I understand the proposed regs, offset hooks are now verboten. So that removes them from the equation.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have had good luck chunking clam/mack/pogie with Eagle Claw Circle Sea 7/0 - invariably hooked in the corner of the mouth. Fishing with a 1322 Arra/Akios 757 conventional setup off the beach. (the 1322 was Ditch Jigger's - maybe some Mojo there). HI/Lo rigs I make myself with the hooks on dropper loops, pyramid sinker on the end. Had to learn to lower the rod a bit to let them run with the bait for a sec before pulling back up. 

Edited by speedwell

When I first began using circles, my hook up ratio was laughably bad. I could feel the chunk slide right from the fish's mouth. When I switched to offset circles it improved.  Not great, but much better that plain circles. 

That's when I suspected it was the canal current was the culprit.  I.e., fish hits the chunk, you maintain tension on your line to allow the circle hook to set itself. The fish feels the drag on the line caused by the current, spits the chunk.

On 1/11/2020 at 7:56 AM, Angler #1 said:

joem a little tip when using sea worms for bait . One does not need to run the whole worm on the hook . Find the hard part of the worm[head] and simply make one penetration from one side to the other and you will be good to go . Try it some time and lets us know how you do if you do not already employ that method of hooking a worm to a hook

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t know to go through the head. Will try that along with the fine wire Mustads Yakman mentioned below.

I've only used circle hooks the past 5-6 seasons (mostly Eagle Claw) and while it took a little getting used to setting the hook, 9 times out of 10 the hook is set perfectly in the corner of the bass' mouth.  A few dropped fish and a little hole in the side of the mouth is better than gut hooking a fish any day of the week!