golden

Circle hook of choice?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

While I mostly plug, there are times when I'll chunk or drift/swim baits.  With the new regulations regarding circle hooks, I'm wondering what you'll be considering?

For me, I'm giving the Trokar in-line circles a go, 7/0.

Thanks

Bass pro sells a catfish circle..........you can get them up to 9/0 and they are cheap!.......Caught fish to over 30 pounds with them and never bent one........Cannot say the same for gami's.......

31 mins ago, robc22 said:

Bass pro sells a catfish circle..........you can get them up to 9/0 and they are cheap!.......Caught fish to over 30 pounds with them and never bent one........Cannot say the same for gami's.......

Where'd you get the 30lb catfish, Bumps Pond?

I’ll hijack this thread for a relevant question. Will those of you that fish seaworms be using circle hooks? Even a 4/0 gamakatsu seems too thick to hold a worm well.

10 mins ago, joem said:

I’ll hijack this thread for a relevant question. Will those of you that fish seaworms be using circle hooks? Even a 4/0 gamakatsu seems too thick to hold a worm well.

IMO, a 4/0 or 6/0 will hold a worm just fine. The 4x Gama is pushing it. 

I've been using these for as long as I've been eeling.

Never had a gut hook. I always get a good hook set in the mouth.

20160212_111218.jpg.301149254ef97397bbcde8f25b9859e0.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Always use the Gamakatsu Circle Octopus like Zak, but they are offset and now will be illegal.  Need to find a good in line circle.

Edited by jp

When I’ve used circle hooks with live bait, I’d say 40-50% of my strikes leave me with a bait that has been “double hooked” and a bass that is no worse for the wear. By double booked I mean that the hook has worked its way back into the bait, burying the point and barb so that there’s no chance of hooking that bass. Any ways to avoid that or is this just par for the course?

16 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I've been using these for as long as I've been eeling.

Never had a gut hook. I always get a good hook set in the mouth.

20160212_111218.jpg.301149254ef97397bbcde8f25b9859e0.jpg

Zak,

Golden wants to use the hooks for stripers, not ocotpus.

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Zak,

Golden wants to use the hooks for stripers, not ocotpus.

That.is.beautiful.

3 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

When I’ve used circle hooks with live bait, I’d say 40-50% of my strikes leave me with a bait that has been “double hooked” and a bass that is no worse for the wear. By double booked I mean that the hook has worked its way back into the bait, burying the point and barb so that there’s no chance of hooking that bass. Any ways to avoid that or is this just par for the course?

Sizing the hook to the bait, when possible, helps. Otherwise you need to work the hook at an angle/depth such that it can't wheel around and re-bury the point. There are some other tricks, involving a bit of extra toys.

4 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

fillets rather than chunks and flat baits like squid improve things very well.......

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

fillets rather than chunks and flat baits like squid improve things very well.......

I’ve had good luck with squid on circles but we don’t get too many around my home water. Mostly fishing macks and Pogies. It just drives me nuts to lose a fish because of the hook having a mind a mind of its own. Guess I’ll keep playing around with it

6 mins ago, jmarino1432 said:

I’ve had good luck with squid on circles but we don’t get too many around my home water. Mostly fishing macks and Pogies. It just drives me nuts to lose a fish because of the hook having a mind a mind of its own. Guess I’ll keep playing around with it

just gotta have that hook exposed real well......those circles fish much better at night!......:)